Most memorable holiday traditions?

• Thread starter Fervent Freyja
  • Start date
In summary: What does Festivus mean?In summary, my family celebrates Festivus by putting up a Festivus pole, opening gifts on the 24th, and airing of grievances with each other.
Fervent Freyja
Gold Member
What are some of the more memorable holiday traditions from your childhood that you had with your parents?

Anything unique to your culture or area or family? What excited you and made you love the holidays the most? Besides the presents.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fervent Freyja said:
What are some of the more memorable holiday traditions from your childhood that you had with your parents?

Anything unique to your culture or area or family? What excited you and made you love the holidays the most? Besides the presents.

The food! My mother made these very light cookies she called no-peeks. I think they were made mostly out of egg whites and sugar. If you opened the oven to check them before they were done, they would collapse. I LOVED those cookies and many of the other treats she made. Add to that eggnog. I always LOVED eggnog. And when I hit my teens, dad would let me add a little rum [he thought I was adding "a little"!]

About the time I was 13 or so, my father and I would trade punches on the shoulder. We were always competing in various ways. With trading punches, we took turns punching each other on the shoulder; constantly hitting harder each time until someone gives up. That Christmas we happened to get into a punching contest. But he had probably had a little too much to drink. On one punch, he glanced off of my shoulder and hit me right in the jaw. Laid me out flat. LOL! Mom was not a happy camper!

• Love
Likes Fervent Freyja
I lived in a catholic family, only when it came to celebrate something funny; meetings around food, gifts...I loved to go out with my father in search for some kind of moss, to make at a scale the birth of Jesus: moss made the role of grass, little figures represented the child in a makeshift crib, the parents, the sheperds, the three Magic kings...

Likes Fervent Freyja
mcastillo356 said:
I lived in a catholic family, only when it came to celebrate something funny; meetings around food, gifts...I loved to go out with my father in search for some kind of moss, to make at a scale the birth of Jesus: moss made the role of grass, little figures represented the child in a makeshift crib, the parents, the sheperds, the three Magic kings...

I was raised Catholic. Did you normally attend high mass at midnight? I was normally singing in the choir at high mass while attending the Catholic school. I also think I was an altar boy for one high mass.

my family plays a super smash bros tourney with the following rules :
Only Xmas colored characters and skins
No items,
Omega and battlefield stages have to be red white or green
a Krampus vs Santa round:Krampus is Ganon and Santa is usually Mario but we're thinking of doing terry this time
winner gets :next smash DLC for free

mcastillo356 said:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Misa_de_Gallo
Hi, Ivan Seeking, do you mean if I used to attend Misa del Gallo, at midnight, the December 24? No. I was believer, but didn't go to that Mass. I also attended a Catholic school run by Jesuits.
Greetings!

Yes. I attended a Jesuit school as well. They were the smart Catholics! :D

Likes mcastillo356
We did away with Christmas many years ago. We celebrate Festivus. We put up a metal pole and open gifts on the 24th. Followed by dinner, and airing of grievances with each other. We finish the night off with feats of strength. I always win.

Likes Fervent Freyja and collinsmark
Mondayman said:
We did away with Christmas many years ago. We celebrate Festivus. We put up a metal pole and open gifts on the 24th. Followed by dinner, and airing of grievances with each other. We finish the night off with feats of strength. I always win.
I still have a Festivus pole. (It's presently in the crawl space).

Likes Fervent Freyja
mcastillo356 said:

Love this, thank you for sharing!

• Love
Likes mcastillo356
nduka-san said:
my family plays a super smash bros tourney with the following rules :
Only Xmas colored characters and skins
No items,
Omega and battlefield stages have to be red white or green
a Krampus vs Santa round:Krampus is Ganon and Santa is usually Mario but we're thinking of doing terry this time
winner gets :next smash DLC for free

What is a super smash bros tourney?

Mondayman said:

That’s pretty cool! Not sure about the airing of grievances- I’d surely get beat up for telling mine what I think (again, but all at once). 😂😂

Fervent Freyja said:
That’s pretty cool! Not sure about the airing of grievances- I’d surely get beat up for telling mine what I think (again, but all at once). 😂😂
Its a reference to Seinfeld, one of the greatest TV shows ever. We don't actually air grievances. But we actually do celebrate festivus, because we are not very religious and just enjoy the social aspect of the holidays. It just mostly involves gifts and drinking games.

Mondayman said:
Its a reference to Seinfeld, one of the greatest TV shows ever. We don't actually air grievances. But we actually do celebrate festivus, because we are not very religious and just enjoy the social aspect of the holidays. It just mostly involves gifts and drinking games.

I was going to ask if it involves liquor. 😆 Sounds like quality time with loved ones to me!

Was anyone else here a Boy Scout? Between the school and Scouts I was busy. We had an annual school play that we put on for the parents. We also had a huge bake sale and Christmas Bazaar. Most of us students were involved in helping with those events. And those of us in Scouts would practice for weeks and then go to convalescent homes and sing Christmas carols.

Ivan Seeking said:
Was anyone else here a Boy Scout? Between the school and Scouts I was busy. We had an annual school play that we put on for the parents. We also had a huge bake sale and Christmas Bazaar. Most of us students were involved in helping with those events. And those of us in Scouts would practice for weeks and then go to convalescent homes and sing Christmas carols.
I do join the boy scout. We do practice every day and I only last for one year because of uncertain problems.

What makes a holiday tradition memorable?

A holiday tradition becomes memorable when it holds a special meaning or significance to the person or family. It could be a tradition that has been passed down through generations or one that is unique and meaningful to the individual or family.

What are some examples of memorable holiday traditions?

Some examples of memorable holiday traditions include decorating the Christmas tree together, baking and sharing holiday treats, exchanging gifts, attending religious services, and watching holiday movies or shows.

Why are holiday traditions important?

Holiday traditions help to create a sense of belonging and connection, especially during a time when families and loved ones may be separated. They also provide a sense of comfort and familiarity, bringing back happy memories and creating new ones.

How do holiday traditions vary between different cultures or families?

Holiday traditions can vary greatly between different cultures and families. Some may have more religious or spiritual traditions, while others may focus on food, gift-giving, or other activities. Some may have traditions specific to their culture or heritage, while others may create their own unique traditions.

Can holiday traditions change over time?

Yes, holiday traditions can change over time. As families grow and evolve, new traditions may be added and old ones may be adapted or replaced. External factors such as location, resources, and cultural influences can also impact the evolution of holiday traditions.