Motion in Cylindrical Coordinates

In summary, the second component of a(theta) is 2 * r' * (theta), as seen in equation (4) at time 1:27 in the video. The mistake in the solution for the new problem was that the calculator was in degree mode instead of radians. In the future, new problems should be posted in a new thread and using LaTeX makes it easier to read and reply to calculations.
Vladimir_Kitanov

7:03 what is second component of a(theta)? this -> 2 * r' * (theta)'
I understand everything except that.

Physics news on Phys.org
See expression for ##a_{\theta}## at time 1:27 in the video.

See equation (4) here.

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71 and Vladimir_Kitanov
TSny said:
See expression for ##a_{\theta}## at time 1:27 in the video.

See equation (4) here.
There is no explanation at 1:27, but link is good.
Thanks !

Likes vanhees71 and TSny
Can someone find mistake?
Correct answer is 12,66N.I am learning LaTeX !
Vlad_P1.jpg
Vlad_P2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
In the future, a new problem should be posted in a new thread.

I believe the only mistake you made in your solution for the new problem is that your calculator was in degree mode while your angles are expressed in radians.

• Informative
Likes PeroK, Delta2, berkeman and 2 others
I posted it on new thread. Someone merged it.

I will try that.

TSny said:

I believe the only mistake you made in your solution for the new problem is that your calculator was in degree mode while your angles are expressed in radians.
I get correct answer now.
Thanks !

Likes Delta2, berkeman and TSny
TSny said:
That would be my fault. I didn't click into the link for his 2nd thread start, thinking it was the same as the original one (which I had locked in a different forum).

Vladimir_Kitanov said:
I am learning LaTeX !
Thank you for doing that. It makes it so much easier to read and reply to your calculations when they are in LaTeX. Looking forward to seeing your next thread! :wink:

Likes Vladimir_Kitanov and bob012345
berkeman said:
That would be my fault. I didn't click into the link for his 2nd thread start, thinking it was the same as the original one (which I had locked in a different forum).
No problem. Thank you.

Likes Delta2 and berkeman

What is motion in cylindrical coordinates?

Motion in cylindrical coordinates is a way of describing the movement of an object in three-dimensional space using cylindrical coordinates instead of Cartesian coordinates. This allows for a more intuitive and efficient way of analyzing and predicting motion in certain situations.

What are cylindrical coordinates?

Cylindrical coordinates are a type of coordinate system that uses three values to describe a point in three-dimensional space: the distance from the origin (r), the angle from the positive x-axis (θ), and the height above the xy-plane (z).

How is motion in cylindrical coordinates different from motion in Cartesian coordinates?

In motion in cylindrical coordinates, the position of an object is described using r, θ, and z, while in Cartesian coordinates, the position is described using x, y, and z. This means that the equations and methods used to analyze motion in cylindrical coordinates will be different from those used in Cartesian coordinates.

What are some real-world applications of motion in cylindrical coordinates?

Motion in cylindrical coordinates is commonly used in engineering and physics, particularly in situations involving rotation or circular motion. Some examples include analyzing the motion of a spinning top, predicting the trajectory of a projectile launched from a rotating platform, and designing curved tracks for roller coasters.

What are some common challenges when working with motion in cylindrical coordinates?

One challenge is visualizing and understanding how the different parameters (r, θ, and z) affect the motion of an object. Another challenge is converting between cylindrical and Cartesian coordinates, which requires knowledge of trigonometry and vector operations.