Motion in Electric and Magnetic Fields -- (Uni Level Dynamics)

In summary: Ah okay so fixing that I have a negative in front of the ##w^2 V_y## Which looks a lot like a form of simple harmonic motion.I don't want to come across as silly for asking this, but I'm still not too sure what my actual final equations of ##V_y(t) ## and ##V_x(t)## should look like.But thanks really for all your help so far its much appreciated.
SianRR
Homework Statement
When a charged particle of mass m and positive charge q moves with velocity ~v
in uniform electric and magnetic fields E~ and B~ it experiences a net force
F~ = q(E~ + ~v × B~ ) .

(a) A particle has an initial velocity u in the x direction. There is a magnetic field
Bz in the z direction and an electric field Ey in the y direction. Write down
the equations of motion and obtain expressions for the velocity components
vx(t) and vy(t)

hint: there are many ways to solve this, for instance differentiate one of the equations and then sub it into the other equation
Relevant Equations
F= q(E + v × B)
w=qBz/m
I've attached my attempt at a solution below, I thought integrating it would be the best way to go but I'm just getting so confused and could use some help. This isn't my first attempt at a solution either I've been working on this for just under two hours now.
Dynamics Working.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

We ask that you type your work if possible rather than post pictures. It makes it easier for homework helpers to quote specific parts of your work.

I believe you have a sign error in your expression for ##F_y##. Check it.

When you integrated, you treated ##v_y## as a constant. But ##v_y## will change with time.

Try going with the hint. Your equation for ##F_x## may be written as ##\large \frac{d v_x}{dt} = \omega v_y##. Take the time derivative of this equation and combine with the equation for ##F_y##.

Likes SianRR
TSny said:
Welcome to PF!

We ask that you type your work if possible rather than post pictures. It makes it easier for homework helpers to quote specific parts of your work.

When you integrated, you treated ##v_y## as a constant. But ##v_y## will change with time.

Try going with the hint. Your equation for ##F_x## may be written as ##\large \frac{d v_x}{dt} = \omega v_y##. Take the time derivative of this equation and combine with the equation for ##F_y##.
Ah thank you for replying, I’ll know next time to type my work thank you. I have a question though, I’m not sure about taking the time derivative of
##\large \frac{d v_x}{dt} = \omega v_y##.

Because I’d end up with accelerations, unless you mean I’d be able to sub in
##\large \frac{d v_y}{dt} ## and then rearrange and have just ##V_x## in the equation. Could I then integrate this or is it a case of homogeneous differential equations?

Thanks

SianRR said:
Ah thank you for replying, I’ll know next time to type my work thank you. I have a question though, I’m not sure about taking the time derivative of
##\large \frac{d v_x}{dt} = \omega v_y##.

Because I’d end up with accelerations, unless you mean I’d be able to sub in
##\large \frac{d v_y}{dt} ## and then rearrange and have just ##V_x## in the equation. Could I then integrate this or is it a case of homogeneous differential equations?

Thanks
Try differentiating both equations and see what you get. Maybe one component is easier to solve for than the other.

Likes SianRR, TSny and etotheipi
PeroK said:
Try differentiating both equations and see what you get. Maybe one component is easier to solve for than the other.
I have done ##\frac {d^2V_x}{dt^2} = w\frac{V_y}{dt} ##
Then rearranging for ## \frac{V_y}{dt} ## I subbed that into the equation I have for ##F_y## and that leaves me with ##\frac{m}{w} \frac{d^2V_x}{dt^2} -qB_zV_x =qE_y ##

Can this then be solved by setting ##V_x=## to some exponential or a combination of sine or cosine?

SianRR said:
I have done ##\frac {d^2V_x}{dt^2} = w\frac{V_y}{dt} ##
Then rearranging for ## \frac{V_y}{dt} ## I subbed that into the equation I have for ##F_y## and that leaves me with ##\frac{m}{w} \frac{d^2V_x}{dt^2} -qB_zV_x =qE_y ##

Can this then be solved by setting ##V_x=## to some exponential or a combination of sine or cosine?

You shouldn't be prejudiced in favour of ##x##! What does the ##V_y## equation look like?

Likes etotheipi
PeroK said:
You shouldn't be prejudiced in favour of ##x##! What does the ##V_y## equation look like?

Okay using the same method as above and assuming that ##E_y## is constant (because it is a uniform field?) so that differentiating means that term goes to zero. Subbing into the ##F_x## equation I get ##\frac{d^2V_y}{dt^2} = w^2V_y ##

SianRR said:
Okay using the same method as above and assuming that ##E_y## is constant (because it is a uniform field?) so that differentiating means that term goes to zero. Subbing into the ##F_x## equation I get ##\frac{d^2V_y}{dt^2} = w^2V_y ##

It looks like you still have the sign error from the cross product. You ought to check that.

TSny said:

Once you sort that out, you might already know the solution to that equation.

Likes SianRR
PeroK said:
It looks like you still have the sign error from the cross product. You ought to check that.

Once you sort that out, you might already know the solution to that equation.

Ah okay so fixing that I have a negative in front of the ##w^2 V_y##
Which looks a lot like a form of simple harmonic motion.

I don't want to come across as silly for asking this, but I'm still not too sure what my actual final equations of ##V_y(t) ## and ##V_x(t)## should look like.
But thanks really for all your help so far its much appreciated

SianRR said:
Ah okay so fixing that I have a negative in front of the ##w^2 V_y##
Which looks a lot like a form of simple harmonic motion.

I don't want to come across as silly for asking this, but I'm still not too sure what my actual final equations of ##V_y(t) ## and ##V_x(t)## should look like.
But thanks really for all your help so far its much appreciated

Now you have ##\frac{d^2V_y}{dt^2} = -w^2V_y ##

You can probably just write down the solution, especially using the initial condition that ##V_y(0) = 0##.

Then you can get ##V_x## from this. Hint: don't solve the equation for ##\frac{d^2V_x}{dt^2}##. Look for a quicker way.

Finally, you'll have to determine the amplitude of the oscillations, using ##V_x(0)## and the constants ##E_y## and ##B_z##.

• Informative
Likes SianRR and sysprog
PeroK said:
Now you have ##\frac{d^2V_y}{dt^2} = -w^2V_y ##

You can probably just write down the solution, especially using the initial condition that ##V_y(0) = 0##.

Then you can get ##V_x## from this. Hint: don't solve the equation for ##\frac{d^2V_x}{dt^2}##. Look for a quicker way.

Finally, you'll have to determine the amplitude of the oscillations, using ##V_x(0)## and the constants ##E_y## and ##B_z##.

Okay I'm getting that ##V_y = e^{\pm iwt} ##
So I want to write this as ##V_y(t)=Ce^{+iwt} + De^{-iwt}## where C and D are some constants. That from the initial conditon that ##V_y(0)=0## that C=-D

##V_y(t)=Ce^{+iwt} -Ce^{-iwt}## , using Euler's expansion
##V_y(t)=C[cos(wt)+isin(wt)-cos(wt)+isin(wt)] ## therefore
##V_y(t)=2Cisin(wt)## and we can just say A=2Ci
##V_y(t)=Asin(wt)##

Is this the correct method?

For ##V_x## I subbed the first derivative of ##V_y## into my ##F_y## equation
##V_x(t)=\frac{E_y}{B_z} - Acos(wt)## , and in the question we are told it has an intial velocity u in the x direction so ##V_x(0)=u##
Then that leaves me with ##A=\frac{E_y}{B_z}-u## which I'm not too confident about

Likes PeroK
SianRR said:
Okay I'm getting that ##V_y = e^{\pm iwt} ##
So I want to write this as ##V_y(t)=Ce^{+iwt} + De^{-iwt}## where C and D are some constants. That from the initial conditon that ##V_y(0)=0## that C=-D

##V_y(t)=Ce^{+iwt} -Ce^{-iwt}## , using Euler's expansion
##V_y(t)=C[cos(wt)+isin(wt)-cos(wt)+isin(wt)] ## therefore
##V_y(t)=2Cisin(wt)## and we can just say A=2Ci
##V_y(t)=Asin(wt)##

Is this the correct method?

For ##V_x## I subbed the first derivative of ##V_y## into my ##F_y## equation
##V_x(t)=\frac{E_y}{B_z} - Acos(wt)## , and in the question we are told it has an intial velocity u in the x direction so ##V_x(0)=u##
Then that leaves me with ##A=\frac{E_y}{B_z}-u## which I'm not too confident about

You should be more confident.

To get ##V_y##, you could have chosen the sinuisodal solution (rather than the complex exponential):

##V_y(t) = A\sin(\omega t) + B\cos(\omega t)##

Where ##V_y(0) = 0 \ \Rightarrow \ B = 0##.

PeroK said:
You should be more confident.

To get ##V_y##, you could have chosen the sinuisodal solution (rather than the complex exponential):

##V_y(t) = A\sin(\omega t) + B\cos(\omega t)##

Where ##V_y(0) = 0 \ \Rightarrow \ B = 0##.

Ah okay but are my solutions;
##V_x(t)=\frac{E_y}{B_z}[1-ucos(wt)]##
##V_y(t)=[\frac{E-y}{B_z}-u]sin(wt)##
correct? or what we'd expect?

SianRR said:
Ah okay but are my solutions;
##V_x(t)=\frac{E_y}{B_z}[1-ucos(wt)]##
##V_y(t)=[\frac{E-y}{B_z}-u]sin(wt)##
correct? or what we'd expect?

##V_y## is correct, but you messed up ##V_x## trying to simplify it too much. As you can see by trying ##t = 0## in your equation. Everything in post #11 was right.

Likes SianRR
PeroK said:
##V_y## is correct, but you messed up ##V_x## trying to simplify it too much. As you can see by trying ##t = 0## in your equation. Everything in post #11 was right.
Ah yeah, ##V_x=\frac{E_y}{B_z}-[\frac{E_y}{B_z}-u]cos(wt)##

Thanks again for all your help!

Likes berkeman and PeroK

1. What is the difference between electric and magnetic fields?

Electric fields are created by stationary or moving electric charges, while magnetic fields are created by moving electric charges or magnetic dipoles. Electric fields act on stationary charges, while magnetic fields act on moving charges.

2. How does an electric field affect the motion of a charged particle?

An electric field exerts a force on a charged particle, causing it to accelerate in the direction of the field if the particle is positive, or in the opposite direction if the particle is negative.

3. What is the relationship between electric and magnetic fields?

Electric and magnetic fields are interconnected, as changing electric fields can create magnetic fields and changing magnetic fields can create electric fields. This is known as electromagnetic induction.

4. How does a charged particle move in a magnetic field?

A charged particle moving through a magnetic field will experience a force perpendicular to both the direction of motion and the direction of the magnetic field. This force causes the particle to move in a circular or helical path.

5. What is the Lorentz force law?

The Lorentz force law describes the force exerted on a charged particle in an electric and magnetic field. It states that the force is equal to the charge of the particle multiplied by the vector cross product of the velocity of the particle and the combined electric and magnetic fields.