Motion in One Dimension - Finding two separate changes in time

In summary, the commuter train never reaches its maximum possible cruising speed because it has to minimize the time interval between two stations.
jaredm2012

Homework Statement

A commuter train travels between two downtown stations. Because the stations are only 1.30 km apart, the train never reaches its maximum possible cruising speed. During rush hour the engineer minimizes the travel interval Δt between the two stations by accelerating for a time interval Δt1 at a1 = 0.100 m/s2 and then immediately braking with acceleration a2 = -0.300 m/s2 for a time interval Δt2. Find the minimum time interval of travel Δt and the time interval Δt1.

Homework Equations

X=Xi + Vit + .5at^2
V=Vi + at

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure how I am supposed to start this problem. I set up a diagram that divided the two time intervals, showed the starting and ending position, and the total distance. I tried to find the velocity using the above equations but I can't figure out how to do so without knowing a value for "t". I am assuming that I have to split the problem into two parts, one with positive acceleration and the other with negative acceleration. However I am always missing a variable, regardless of how I attempt to solve it. Any clues about how to go about this problem would be greatly appreciated! =)

Physics news on Phys.org
FinalVelocity^2 = InitialVelocity^2 + 2*Acceleration*Distance

TotalDistance = AccelerationDistance + BrakingDistance

I still can't seem to get this problem. I used those equations but I can't figure out how I am supposed to find any new variables because I am always missing two (as far as I can see, of course). Are there certain equations I am supposed to set equal to each other or something? Thanks!

You know x = 1/2*a*t2

You have an acceleration distance that takes t1 and a deceleration distance that takes t2. Total T is what you want to minimize.

You also know that the total of acceleration distance and deceleration is 1300m.

1300 = 1/2(.1)t12 + 1/2(.3)t22

You also know that for T to be minimized then acceleration to Vmax and down again from Vmax must be at maximum acceleration and deceleration rates.

Vmax = a*t = .1*t1 = .3*t2

Ah ok, I got it now! I should have seen that from the start. Thanks! =)

Related to Motion in One Dimension - Finding two separate changes in time

1. What is "motion in one dimension"?

Motion in one dimension refers to the movement of an object along a straight line, with no changes in direction. It is also known as linear motion.

2. How do you calculate the change in time for an object in motion?

To calculate the change in time for an object in motion, you need to know the initial time and final time, then subtract the initial time from the final time. This will give you the total change in time.

3. Can there be more than one change in time for an object in motion?

Yes, an object in motion can have multiple changes in time. This can happen if the object changes its speed or direction at different points during its motion.

4. How do you find two separate changes in time for an object in motion?

To find two separate changes in time for an object in motion, you need to identify two specific points in the object's motion and calculate the change in time between those two points. This will give you two separate changes in time.

5. What is the formula for calculating the change in time for an object in motion?

The formula for calculating the change in time is: Δt = tf - ti, where Δt is the change in time, tf is the final time, and ti is the initial time.