Motion of 2 masses connected by a rod to a pendulum

In summary: Consider the pendulum rod vertical and the other horizontal, all stationary. Forces alone say all is in balance, regardless where the joint is.
Jenny Physics
Homework Statement
Find the equation of motion for the system of two masses connected by a massless rod hanging from a pendulum swinging from left to right and back. Use Newton's second law in terms of forces (not in terms of torques).
Relevant Equations
x and y forces
balance.png

I am not sure which other forces I should consider besides those 3. I cannot consider tensions due to the massless rod on the masses since those will not add up to zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jenny Physics said:
Homework Statement:: Find the equilibrium of forces condition for the system of two masses connected by a massless rod hanging from a pendulum.
Homework Equations:: x and y equilibrium of forces

View attachment 255197
I am not sure which other forces I should consider besides those 3. I cannot consider tensions due to the massless rod on the masses since those will not add up to zero.
Is the problem statement exactly as given to you?
Did the diagram come with it or is that your own interpretation?
It is hard to see how it could be in equilibrium unless the pendulum is vertical... unless it is a dynamic equilibrium, e.g. with the pendulum describing a cone about the vertical.

Likes Jenny Physics
haruspex said:
Is the problem statement exactly as given to you?
Did the diagram come with it or is that your own interpretation?
It is hard to see how it could be in equilibrium unless the pendulum is vertical... unless it is a dynamic equilibrium, e.g. with the pendulum describing a cone about the vertical.
You are right, this was a misunderstanding. I edited the question.

Jenny Physics said:
You are right, this was a misunderstanding. I edited the question.
I assume the upper rod joins the lower rod at its mid point.
In principle, you would use torque there to figure out the equations, but by symmetry you don't need to. Think whether the behaviour of the upper rod depends at all on the length of the lower rod. What difference would it make to that if it were shrunk to zero?

Likes Jenny Physics
haruspex said:
I assume the upper rod joins the lower rod at its mid point.
In principle, you would use torque there to figure out the equations, but by symmetry you don't need to. Think whether the behaviour of the upper rod depends at all on the length of the lower rod. What difference would it make to that if it were shrunk to zero?
It doesn't depend on the length of the lower rod only because of the symmetry. But what if the pendulum were not attached right at the middle of the lower rod? How could I derive the equations without using torques?

Jenny Physics said:
It doesn't depend on the length of the lower rod only because of the symmetry. But what if the pendulum were not attached right at the middle of the lower rod? How could I derive the equations without using torques?
It is provably impossible.
Consider the pendulum rod vertical and the other horizontal, all stationary. Forces alone say all is in balance, regardless where the joint is.

Likes Jenny Physics

Related to Motion of 2 masses connected by a rod to a pendulum

What is the equation for the motion of 2 masses connected by a rod to a pendulum?

The equation for this motion is known as the double pendulum equation and it is a set of coupled differential equations that describe the position and velocity of the two masses as they swing back and forth.

What factors affect the motion of 2 masses connected by a rod to a pendulum?

The motion of the masses is affected by factors such as the length of the rod, the mass of the masses, the angle at which the pendulum is released, and the gravitational force acting on the system.

What is the period of the motion of 2 masses connected by a rod to a pendulum?

The period of the motion, or the time it takes for the masses to complete one full swing, is dependent on the length of the rod and the acceleration due to gravity. It can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the rod, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

How does the initial conditions affect the motion of 2 masses connected by a rod to a pendulum?

The initial conditions, such as the initial angle and velocity, have a significant impact on the motion of the pendulum. Small changes in these initial conditions can result in drastically different trajectories of the masses.

What are some real-life applications of the motion of 2 masses connected by a rod to a pendulum?

The double pendulum equation has been used to study chaotic systems and has applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and biology. It can also be seen in everyday objects such as grandfather clocks and amusement park rides.