Motion of a Cylinder: Angular Velocity & Horizontal Distance

In summary: Of course, it's wrong. I'm sorry. I'm going to try again.I do. Note that I'm assuming the vertical component... Of course, it's wrong. I'm sorry. I'm going to try again.Well, I think I'm headed to the right direction now. The conservation of energy yields$$Mg \ \text{Sin(30°)} = \frac{1}{2}Mv_{CM}^2 + \frac{1}{2}I \omega^2 = \frac{1}{2}Mv_{CM}^2 + \frac{1}{4}MR^2 \omega^2 \\\Longrightarrow | \omega| = \sqrt{ \frac{
davidge

Homework Statement

A right cylinder is at rest as in the figure below. It then starts rolling down without friction slipping. What is the magnitude of its angular velocity when it arrives at point A? At what horizontal distance from A will it stop after hitting the ground?
Given:
Moment of inertia of the cylinder ##I = \frac{1}{2}MR^2##.
Radius of the cylinder ##R = 20 \ cm##.
Mass of the cylinder ##M = 12 \ kg##.

ii26B4o.png

2. The attempt at a solution

This problem is from an exam from my undergraduate course on physics

Conservation of energy yields

Mg6Sin(30°) = MVCM2/2, where VCM is the cylinder center of mass speed and g is the gravity acceleration.

Since friction isn't present this is a rolling without slipping problem, the linear speed in the equation above should be equal to ωR, where ω is the desired angular speed.

I got $$\omega = \sqrt{6g} / R = 10 \sqrt{ \frac{3g}{2}} \ \bigg(\frac{ \text{rad}}{ \text{sec}} \bigg)$$

For the second part of the problem, I considered that the only acceleration is due to gravity (constant), in which case we can use the equations

V = V0 + at
D = V0t

$$0 = V_{0 \ - \ \text{vertical}} + gt \\
t = |V_{0 \ - \ \text{vertical}}| / |g| = \sqrt{6g} \ \text{Sin(30°)} / g = \frac{1}{2} \sqrt{ \frac{6}{g}} \ (\text{sec})$$

So, the horizontal distance is $$D = \sqrt{6g} \ \text{Cos(30°)} \times \frac{1}{2} \sqrt{ \frac{6}{g}} = 3 \frac{ \sqrt{3}}{2} \ (\text{meters})$$

Is this correct?

EDIT: The correct sentence is "the cylinder is rolling without slipping, instead of without friction".

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
davidge said:

Homework Statement

A right cylinder is at rest as in the figure below. It then starts rolling down without friction. What is the magnitude of its angular velocity when it arrives at point A? At what horizontal distance from A will it stop after hitting the ground?
Given:
Moment of inertia of the cylinder ##I = \frac{1}{2}MR^2##.
Radius of the cylinder ##R = 20 \ cm##.
Mass of the cylinder ##M = 12 \ kg##.

View attachment 206541
2. The attempt at a solution

This problem is from an exam from my undergraduate course on physics

Mg6Sin(30°) = MVCM2/2, where VCM is the cylinder center of mass speed and g is the gravity acceleration.

Since friction isn't present, the linear speed in the equation above should be equal to ωR, where ω is the desired angular speed.

I got $$\omega = \sqrt{6g} / R = 10 \sqrt{ \frac{3g}{2}}$$

For the second part of the problem, I considered that the only acceleration is due gravity (constant), in which case we can use the equations

V = V0 + at
D = V0t

$$0 = V_{0 \ - \ \text{vertical}} + gt \\
t = |V_{0 \ - \ \text{vertical}}| / |g| = \sqrt{6g} \ \text{Sin(30°)} / g = \frac{1}{2} \sqrt{ \frac{6}{g}}$$

So, the horizontal distance is $$D = \sqrt{6g} \ \text{Cos(30°)} \times \frac{1}{2} \sqrt{ \frac{6}{g}}$$

Is this correct?
That's a rather strange problem. If there is no friction, then there is no reason for the cylinder to roll. - no reason for its angular momentum to change.

Likes davidge
SammyS said:
That's a rather strange problem. If there is no friction, then there is no reason for the cylinder to roll. - no reason for its angular momentum to change.
I'm sorry. I have edited the opening post. Please, consider reading it again.

davidge said:
I'm sorry. I have edited the opening post. Please, consider reading it again.
That's more like it.

davidge said:

That does not include the Kinetic Energy due to the cylinder's rotation.

Likes davidge
SammyS said:
That's more like it.
That does not include the Kinetic Energy due to the cylinder's rotation.
Oh, I should have included it... ##I \omega^2 / 2##. So my two answers are incorrect.

davidge said:
Oh, I should have included it... ##I \omega^2 / 2##. So my two answers are incorrect.
Yes, they're incorrect.

Express ##\ v_{CM} \ ## in terms of ω, & solve.

Likes davidge
SammyS said:
Yes, they're incorrect.

Express ##\ v_{CM} \ ## in terms of ω, & solve.
Thanks.

davidge said:
Thanks.
You're welcome.

Did you get a correct solution ?

SammyS said:
Did you get a correct solution ?
Let me try one solution, this time accounting for the rotation of the cylinder, which takes part of the total energy of it.

$$Mg \ \text{Sin(30°)} = \frac{1}{2}M \omega^2 R^2 + \frac{1}{4}MR^2 \omega^2 = \frac{3}{4} M \omega^2 R^2 \\
\Longrightarrow | \omega| = \sqrt{\frac{2}{3}g} \frac{1}{R} = \sqrt{ \frac{50}{3}g} \ \bigg(\frac{ \text{rad}}{ \text{sec}} \bigg) $$
For the second part of the trajectory,
$$ | \omega| = \sqrt{ \frac{50}{3}g} \Rightarrow |V_{ \text{CM}}| = \sqrt{ \frac{2}{3}g} \\
0 = - \sqrt{ \frac{1}{6}g} + gt \Rightarrow t = \frac{1}{ \sqrt{6g}} \ ( \text{sec}) \\
D = \sqrt{ \frac{2}{3}g} \frac{ \sqrt{3}}{2} \frac{1}{ \sqrt{6g}} = \frac{1}{2 \sqrt{3}} \ ( \text{meters})$$

davidge said:
Let me try one solution, this time accounting for the rotation of the cylinder, which takes part of the total energy of it.

$$Mg \ \text{Sin(30°)} = \frac{1}{2}M \omega^2 R^2 + \frac{1}{4}MR^2 \omega^2 = \frac{3}{4} M \omega^2 R^2 \\
\Longrightarrow | \omega| = \sqrt{\frac{2}{3}g} \frac{1}{R} = \sqrt{ \frac{50}{3}g} \ \bigg(\frac{ \text{rad}}{ \text{sec}} \bigg) $$
For the second part of the trajectory,
$$ | \omega| = \sqrt{ \frac{50}{3}g} \Rightarrow |V_{ \text{CM}}| = \sqrt{ \frac{2}{3}g} \\
0 = - \sqrt{ \frac{1}{6}g} + gt \Rightarrow t = \frac{1}{ \sqrt{6g}} \ ( \text{sec}) \\
D = \sqrt{ \frac{2}{3}g} \frac{ \sqrt{3}}{2} \frac{1}{ \sqrt{6g}} = \frac{1}{2 \sqrt{3}} \ ( \text{meters})$$
Did you leave out the 6 meters ? Maybe I overlooked that.

Likes davidge
SammyS said:
Did you leave out the 6 meters ? Maybe I overlooked that.
Oh, yes... I'm sorry, I did not remember including it.
Apart from it, is my reasoning correct?

davidge said:
Oh, yes... I'm sorry, I did not remember including it.
Apart from it, is my reasoning correct?

I had not looked in detail at your solution for the second part.

It definitely is incorrect !

You seem to be finding the time by thinking that the vertical component of velocity is zero as the cylinder reaches the ground, and furthermore you have gravity working opposite the direction of the velocity. You don't seem to use the fact the the cylinder falls the additional 5 meters after passing point A.

Likes davidge
SammyS said:
You don't seem to use the fact the the cylinder falls the additional 5 meters after passing point A
I do. Note that I'm assuming the vertical component of the velocity to be zero when the cylinder hits the ground and I'm using as initial vertical component the vertical velocity it has when it is at point A. The same reasoning for the horizontal component.

davidge said:
I do. Note that I'm assuming the vertical component of the velocity to be zero when the cylinder
That's an incorrect way to solve this.

It's not the acceleration due to gravity that brings the cylinder to a halt.(The impact with the ground does that.)

After passing point A, the acceleration due to gravity increases the vertical component of velocity intil the cylinder strikes the ground. There's kinematic equation for that situation from which you can find time.
Alternatively, you can use conservation of energy to find the speed just prior to impact, and then find distance as you did.​

Last edited:
Likes davidge
does the distribution of energy between rotating and linear remain constant in proportion regardless of the velocity ?

davidge said:
At what horizontal distance from A will it stop after hitting the ground?
Are you sure that is what the question asks? It will not stop after hitting the ground - it will keep rolling. I guess you mean "will it hit the ground?"
davidge said:
the vertical component of the velocity to be zero when the cylinder hits the ground
The SUVAT equations apply only while the acceleration is constant. Hitting the ground involves a very different acceleration, so the equations only apply up to the instant before hitting it.

dean barry said:
does the distribution of energy between rotating and linear remain constant in proportion regardless of the velocity ?
Yes. The ratio does not depend on the radius either.

haruspex said:
Are you sure that is what the question asks? It will not stop after hitting the ground - it will keep rolling. I guess you mean "will it hit the ground?"
You're right. I misstated the question.
haruspex said:

The SUVAT equations apply only while the acceleration is constant. Hitting the ground involves a very different acceleration, so the equations only apply up to the instant before hitting it.
I don't understand it. @SammyS early said that my way of solving the problem is not correct. But it seems that acceleration is constant during the fall. So why can't we use those equations?

davidge said:
You're right. I misstated the question.

I don't understand it. @SammyS early said that my way of solving the problem is not correct. But it seems that acceleration is constant during the fall. So why can't we use those equations?
The acceleration is constant during the fall, but you took the velocity to be zero when it has hit the ground - that is after the fall, not during it.

Likes davidge

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is the rate at which a cylinder rotates around an axis. It is measured in radians per second and is represented by the symbol ω.

2. How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time. It can also be calculated by dividing the linear velocity by the radius of the cylinder.

3. How does the shape of a cylinder affect its angular velocity?

The shape of a cylinder does not affect its angular velocity. As long as the cylinder is rotating around a fixed axis, its angular velocity will remain the same regardless of its shape.

4. What is the relationship between angular velocity and linear velocity?

Angular velocity and linear velocity are directly proportional. This means that as the angular velocity increases, the linear velocity also increases, and vice versa.

5. How does horizontal distance affect the motion of a cylinder?

The horizontal distance does not directly affect the motion of a cylinder. However, it can affect the time it takes for the cylinder to travel a certain distance, which in turn can affect the angular velocity.