Motion of a Uniform Stick on a Frozen Lake After an Impulse

In summary: Iω = ∫ torque dt = ∫ (distance x force) dt = distance x (∫ force dt)= distance x impulse ! :smile:(eg, in this case, if you applied the same impulse slowly, eg 0.5 N for 4 s (total 2 N.s),then for 4 s the angular acceleration would be dω/dt = torque/I = 0.5 R/I (a constant),and so the total increase in angular velocity is ω = torque*time/I =
ZxcvbnM2000

Homework Statement

A straight uniform stick of L= 1m and mass m = 1 KG lies on a surface of a frozen lake.Someone kicks the stick at one end,imparting an impulse of 2Ns normal to the stick.Describe the subsequent motion of the stick.

Homework Equations

I=mΔV

The Attempt at a Solution

Obviously the first thing we have to do is find the linear velocity at the end of the stick ( actually all molecules of the stick will be moving with that velocity). so I=m(V1-V0)

<=> 2=1*V1 , V0=0 since it was at rest.Therefore V1=2m/s which will remain constant due to lack of friction.The stick will be sliding forward since there are no forces to counteract with the initial force.But this force also created a torque which causes the object to rotate.

Should i assume that since there is no friction , the stick is rolling right from the beginning ? How can i find the angular velocity ?

I believe that since the kick is an external force and thus an external torque then linear and angular momentum are not conserved .

Any ideas ?

The force of the kick also caused the object to rotate

Physics news on Phys.org
Well i don't think it's rolling otherwise Vcm= wR <=> w= 2/0.5 = 4 rad/s which is not the right answer . Hmm,so we have an object that is slipping and rotating and there is no friction ... :S Grrr !

Last edited:
No one ? :(

Hi ZxcvbnM2000! :wink:

(erm :redface: … NEVER reply to your own question, it takes you off the "no replies" list!)

just use impulse = change in momentum

and torque of impulse = change in angular momentum (about the same point) …

what do you get? :smile:

(and I'm off to bed :zzz:)

I understand that Impulse = change in momentum

but why does torque of impulse = change in angular momentum ?

Impulse is not a force it is Ft :S So how can it create a torque . Can you explain this physically ?

Let me check if what u say is making sense unit-wise .

R*mat = Iω Kg*m*m /s = Kg*m*m*rad/s which is true since rad/s = 1/s since ω is also measured in hertz ... hmm

i still don't get it though.

1) The stick is stationary . I kick its end . Will it begin rotating and slipping at the same time or not ? . I am lost :S

Assuming that i understood everything let me proceed to the calculations..

2=1*V so Vcm = 2 m/s

mVcmR = Iω Ι = 1/12 ΜL^2 so Icm = 1/12 therefore 1*2*0.5*12 = ω

So Vcm = ωR is not valid in this case because if it were true then the stick would be rolling , right ?

Damn rotational and translation is soooo confusing .

Anyway , have a good night and thanks for your time :)

Hi ZxcvbnM2000! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 buttons just above the Reply box :wink:)
ZxcvbnM2000 said:
2=1*V so Vcm = 2 m/s

mVcmR = Iω Ι = 1/12 ΜL^2 so Icm = 1/12 therefore 1*2*0.5*12 = ω

yes that's all correct :smile:

(except that your mVcmR should be the torque, which in this case of course is the same)

so it's rotating at 12 rad/s, and moving at only 2 m/s

(the question doesn't ask for it, but can you find the centre of rotation?)
So Vcm = ωR is not valid in this case because if it were true then the stick would be rolling , right ?

i don't understand what you mean by rolling … there's nothing for it to roll against :confused:
I understand that Impulse = change in momentum

but why does torque of impulse = change in angular momentum ?

Impulse is not a force it is Ft :S So how can it create a torque . Can you explain this physically ?

I dω/dt = torque = force.distance

so Iω = ∫ torque dt

= ∫ (distance x force) dt

= distance x (∫ force dt)

= distance x impulse ! :smile:

(eg, in this case, if you applied the same impulse slowly, eg 0.5 N for 4 s (total 2 N.s),

then for 4 s the angular acceleration would be dω/dt = torque/I = 0.5 R/I (a constant),

and so the total increase in angular velocity is ω = torque*time/I = 0.5 IR times 4 = 2 IR)

Well i already said the moment of inertia is ML/12 so i assumed that it is the centre of mass of the stick . Can i use it as a general rule and say that for anybody which is free to move any force applied to it ( besides those who cross the axis of rotation of the CoM) will cause it to rotate about its CoM.

In terms of energies : Einitial = 1/2 ( Iω +mVcm) .

Why isn't Vcm = ωR ? Does this means that a particle at the end of the stick will cover more distance than the CoM in the same time t ?

:)

Last edited:
ZxcvbnM2000 said:
Well i already said the moment of inertia is ML/12 so i assumed that it is the centre of mass of the stick . Can i use it as a general rule and say that for anybody which is free to move any force applied to it ( besides those who cross the axis of rotation of the CoM) will cause it to rotate about its CoM.

a body rotates about its centre of rotation

(the clue's in the name! :biggrin:)

the formulas torque = Iα and torque of impulse = I(∆ω) only (and always) work about the center of mass and the centre of rotation …

in this case it isn't obvious where the centre of rotation is, so we use I and torque about the centre of mass …

that doesn't mean it's rotating about the centre of mass! :wink:

That's very useful thank you !

Lastly, can you tell me whether what i said about Vcm = ωR is true or nonsense ?

That's my last question ever...about rotation :p

ZxcvbnM2000 said:
Why isn't Vcm = ωR ? Does this means that a particle at the end of the stick will cover more distance than the CoM in the same time t ?

the c.o.m. moves in a straight line, and the stick revolves around that moving point (so yes, the rest of the stick moves further than the c.o.m.)

if VP is the velocity of a point P at distance R from the c.o.m., then

|VP - Vcm = ωR …​

(in 3D: VP - Vcm| = ω × R)

so Vcm = ωR only if P is stationary :wink:

1. What is the "Frozen Lake, Uniform Stick" experiment?

The "Frozen Lake, Uniform Stick" experiment is a classic physics thought experiment that explores the concept of rotational inertia. It involves a frozen lake with a uniform stick stuck in the ice, and a person trying to rotate the stick by applying a force to one end.

2. What is the purpose of this experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to demonstrate the principle of rotational inertia. It shows that an object's resistance to rotational motion is proportional to its mass and distance from the axis of rotation.

3. How does rotational inertia affect the stick in this experiment?

The rotational inertia of the stick causes it to resist the force applied to one end, making it difficult to rotate. This is because the stick has a larger moment of inertia due to its length, compared to a shorter stick or object with less mass.

4. Why is the frozen lake important in this experiment?

The frozen lake provides a frictionless surface, allowing the stick to rotate freely without any external forces acting on it. This eliminates any other factors that may affect the stick's rotation, allowing for a more accurate demonstration of rotational inertia.

5. What is the significance of this experiment in physics?

The "Frozen Lake, Uniform Stick" experiment is significant in demonstrating the concept of rotational inertia, which is a fundamental principle of rotational motion and has many real-world applications. It also helps in understanding the relationship between an object's mass, moment of inertia, and its resistance to rotational motion.