Motion through a circular path

In summary, a jetliner flies 2.1 km on a circular path of radius 3.3 km and the question asks for the angle of the turn. The correct answer involves converting to degrees and taking into account the factor of π in the denominator. However, the problem statement does not specify the units required for the answer.
opus
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Making a turn, a jetliner flies 2.1 km on a circular path of radius 3.3 km.
Through what angle does it turn? Express in 2 significant figures.

Homework Equations

Arc length = ##S=rθ##

The Attempt at a Solution

Please see the attached image. I've tried multiple different forms of the answer and none of them are being accepted. Is it conceptual?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-09 at 10.01.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-09 at 10.01.33 PM.png
    6.7 KB · Views: 289
Physics news on Phys.org
A screenshot of the problem.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-09 at 10.02.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-09 at 10.02.43 PM.png
    12 KB · Views: 287
Looks like you overlooked the factor of π in the denominator when converting to degrees.

Oh man. Been a long day. Conceptually, you'd call it good?

opus said:
Oh man. Been a long day. Conceptually, you'd call it good?
Yes. The problem statement doesn't indicate the units required for the answer. So, maybe you don't need to convert to degrees.

Likes opus
Thanks. I really need to try to slow down on working problems. Once I miss something and look it over for errors, it's like the error blends in and I don't even notice it.
I don't like the degree thing as it makes more sense to be in rad, but by the looks of the screenshot of the problem, it looks like it's got a degree symbol to the right.

opus said:
... but by the looks of the screenshot of the problem, it looks like it's got a degree symbol to the right.
Ah, I hadn't noticed. Thanks.

Likes opus
Thanks for your help as always.

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path, where the distance from the center of the circle remains constant. This type of motion is characterized by a constant speed and a continuously changing direction.

2. What causes circular motion?

Circular motion is caused by a centripetal force, which is a force that acts towards the center of the circle and keeps the object moving in a circular path. This force can be provided by various factors such as gravity, tension, or friction.

3. What is the difference between uniform and non-uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is when an object moves along a circular path at a constant speed, while non-uniform circular motion is when the speed of the object changes as it moves along the circular path. In non-uniform circular motion, the object experiences both a tangential acceleration and a centripetal acceleration.

4. How is centripetal force related to circular motion?

Centripetal force is necessary for an object to maintain circular motion. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and its magnitude is equal to the product of the mass of the object, its speed squared, and the radius of the circular path.

5. Can circular motion be described by Newton's laws of motion?

Yes, circular motion can be described by Newton's laws of motion. The first law states that an object in motion will remain in motion in a straight line at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force. The second law relates the net force acting on an object to its mass and acceleration. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. These laws can be applied to circular motion by considering the centripetal force as the external force acting on the object.