Motivation for time travel into the past

In summary, the conversation discusses the motivation for time travel and the potential consequences of changing the past. It is suggested that one could use time travel to gain knowledge and wealth, but the concept of a time machine is still considered impossible.
Mutsi
Hi,

Today I was sitting in the train and I wondered what the motivation for a time traveler would be if he wanted to go in the past. Say that I live in 2011 and I went back 210 million years ago to see the dinosaurs, that would be my motivation. But when I would travel back to there and satisfy myself from what I have seen and went back. I would no longer have that motivation in the present and thereby I would never want to go back 210 million years in the first place. Or is my way of thinking about this just wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well one could give an earlier version of oneself the lottery numbers followed by how the stock market will go (and key sports results). Once you've turned yourself into a billionaire tycoon you could transfer back technologies for your companies to patent. You could become the worlds richest person.

Although time travel in this fashion is understood to be impossible, a time machine (it it were possible and CPCs didn't interfere) would only allow travel back to a certain point after the creation of the machine.

Mutsi, that would only be true if you returned before you left!

What is the purpose of time travel into the past?

The purpose of time travel into the past can vary depending on the individual's motivation. Some may be interested in studying history and observing significant events firsthand, while others may want to change past events for personal gain or to correct mistakes. Overall, time travel into the past is a way to gain new knowledge and potentially alter the present or future.

Is it scientifically possible to travel back in time?

At this point in time, there is no scientific evidence or technology that supports time travel into the past. The concept of time travel is largely theoretical and is still being explored by scientists. Some theories suggest that it may be possible through the use of wormholes or black holes, but these are still hypothetical and require further research and development.

What are the potential consequences of time travel into the past?

Time travel into the past can have significant consequences, as any changes made in the past can potentially alter the present and future. This is known as the butterfly effect, where small changes in the past can have large, unforeseen consequences in the future. Additionally, time travel can also create paradoxes, where events in the past may contradict and prevent the time traveler from being able to go back in time.

How do ethical considerations play a role in time travel into the past?

Ethical considerations are an important factor to consider when discussing time travel into the past. The potential to alter past events and potentially impact the lives of others raises ethical questions. Additionally, the act of changing the past can have unintended consequences and raise moral dilemmas. As such, it is important for any individual or organization researching time travel to consider the ethical implications of their actions.

Can time travel into the past be used for practical purposes?

While time travel into the past may seem like a fantastical concept, it has practical applications that could potentially benefit society. For example, it could be used to prevent disasters or find solutions to current problems by learning from past mistakes. However, this also raises ethical considerations and the potential for misuse, so careful consideration and regulation would be necessary.