Motor specifications to drive Motorcyle Carousel

In summary: A 2.5 inch diameter drive wheel will require a torque of at least 350 inch-lbs to turn the dolly. A 3 inch diameter drive wheel will require a torque of at least 500 inch-lbs.
Moe Curley
Hi, I'm and uneducated garage tinkerer currently motorizing a motorcycle dolly in order to rotate a motorcycle 180 degrees within its length to enable me to ride off and upon returning to my garage, to rotate the bike in order to drive out on my next ride. My question is what amount of ft-lb or in-oz output of torque gear motor would be required for the motors. The bike and dolly total 500lbs and the dolly is 5 feet long. The weight is evenly distributed along the length of the dolly. I will be using a single motor to drive two wheels, one wheel at each end of the dolly. I have replaced the swiveling dolly casters with casters which are arranged in line with rotation throughout. The casters are very efficient and the drive wheel would be 2.5 inches in diameter. The speed of rotation is arbitrary as their is no time constraint. I would like the neoprene casters to be able to surmount a 1/4 inch obstruction and the drive mechanism will have a clutch and stoppage override to avoid damage. I'm very sorry if I have not provided enough information about this problem but if you need additional info please let me know.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Not that uneducated, you know how to provide the right information and ask the right questions.

If your intent is to add a motor to your existing motorcycle dolly, start by measuring the force to turn the dolly by hand. Tie a rope on one end and pull using a spring scale. Measure the force at the worst point - your 1/4 inch obstruction. The torque is that force multiplied by the drive wheel radius, so XX lbs X 1.25 inch radius = drive torque in inch-lbs. That assumes that you connect the gear motor output to the drive wheel with a 1:1 gear ratio. Add in a torque safety factor of 2 or 3 to make sure you have enough torque.

If your gear motor is properly chosen so that it can be stalled without damage, then you will not need an overload clutch.

1. What is the recommended horsepower for a motor to drive a motorcycle carousel?

The recommended horsepower for a motor to drive a motorcycle carousel is typically between 5-10 horsepower. It is important to choose a motor with enough power to safely rotate the carousel with the added weight of the motorcycles and riders.

2. What type of motor is best suited for a motorcycle carousel?

The best type of motor for a motorcycle carousel is an electric motor. Electric motors are more efficient, have lower maintenance costs, and provide smoother operation compared to other types of motors.

3. What is the ideal speed for a motor to rotate a motorcycle carousel?

The ideal speed for a motor to rotate a motorcycle carousel is between 3-5 revolutions per minute. This speed allows for a smooth and enjoyable ride for the riders without putting too much strain on the motor.

4. Can a variable speed motor be used to drive a motorcycle carousel?

Yes, a variable speed motor can be used to drive a motorcycle carousel. This allows for the speed of the carousel to be adjusted according to the preference of the riders or the type of motorcycles being used.

5. What safety features should be considered when choosing a motor for a motorcycle carousel?

When choosing a motor for a motorcycle carousel, it is important to consider safety features such as overload protection, emergency shut-off switch, and a secure mounting system. These features can help prevent accidents and ensure the safety of the riders.