Motorcycle Accident - Coefficient of Friction issues

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find the initial speed of a motorcycle that was involved in an accident. The bike traveled on its side for 200 meters, with the friction of the road bringing it to a stop. The grade of the road was uphill at approximately 10 degrees and the weight of the motorcycle was 145 kg. The question also involves the type and surface area of the contact points of the bike on the road, and the formula used to calculate the initial speed. An estimate of the minimum bike speed is given as 26 m/s or 60 mph, but more information is needed for a more accurate calculation. The coefficient of friction for the road is also discussed, with an estimated value of 0.3
pmoon.pt
Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to find the initial speed of a motorcycle that was involved in an accident. The driver lost control and the bike dragged along the asphalt for some distance. I know several variables but my physics is not a strong suit to say the least. Any help would be much appreciated!

Here is what I know:

- bike traveled on its side (independently of the driver) for 200 meters
- nothing but the friction of the road brought the bike to a stop
- grade of the road - uphill approx 10 degrees
- motorbike weight - approx 145 kg
- dry road
- coefficient of friction of asphalt?

I'd like to know several things:
- the initial speed
- the formula used to find the initial speed
- if the type (i.e. rubber vs metal vs plastic) of contact points and actual surface area of the contact points of the bike on the asphalt make a difference for this calculation and if so how would that factor into the formula? Negligible? Can reasonable assumptions be made for a reasonably accurate initial speed?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
You could get an estimate of the minimum bike speed by assuming no friction at all.

The bike climbs 200 x sin 10 degrees = about 35 meters

The starting speed to "free wheel" up the hill is given by v = sqrt(2gh) = 26 m/s or about 60 mph minimum.

I don't think you can do much more than that, without a lot more information.

Note: when you say "grade: uphill about 10 degrees" are you sure about that? That's a very steep hill. If you mean the grade is "10:1" that would reduce the speed estimate to about 45 mph minimum.

Last edited:
Thanks Aleph, that's very helpful!

Yes I meant 10:1

The frictional aspect is likely to be the more important. Based on various other metal/nonmetal combinations, if the road was clean and dry I would expect a coefficient of around .4 to .5. Let's say it was at least .3. With a gradient of 0.1, that makes it three times as significant. v = sqrt(2gd(0.1+0.3)) = sqrt(2*10*200*0.4) m/s = 40 m/s = 90mph. Any chance of getting a better estimate for mu?

Dear colleague,

Thank you for reaching out for assistance with this problem. I can provide some insights and potential solutions for determining the initial speed of the motorcycle involved in the accident.

To start, we need to understand the concept of coefficient of friction, which is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces in contact. In this case, we are concerned with the coefficient of friction between the asphalt and the bike's tires. This value will depend on several factors such as the type of asphalt and the condition of the tires. As you mentioned, the coefficient of friction for asphalt can vary, but a reasonable estimate would be around 0.7-0.8 for dry roads.

To determine the initial speed of the motorcycle, we can use the equation: v^2 = u^2 + 2as, where v is the final velocity (which is zero in this case), u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration (due to friction), and s is the distance traveled (200 meters). Rearranging this equation, we get u = √(2as).

Now, we need to determine the acceleration due to friction. This can be calculated using the formula: a = μg, where μ is the coefficient of friction and g is the acceleration due to gravity (which is 9.8 m/s^2). Therefore, the acceleration due to friction in this case would be approximately 6.86 m/s^2 (0.7 x 9.8).

Next, we need to consider the effect of the uphill grade of 10 degrees. This will add an additional force acting against the motion of the motorcycle, resulting in a decrease in the initial speed. To account for this, we can use the formula: a = g sin θ, where θ is the angle of the grade. In this case, the acceleration due to the uphill grade would be approximately 1.7 m/s^2 (9.8 x sin 10).

Combining these two accelerations, we get a total acceleration of approximately 8.56 m/s^2 (6.86 + 1.7). Plugging this value into the initial velocity equation, we get u = √(2 x 8.56 x 200) = 26.3 m/s or 94.7 km/h.

As for the type and surface area of the contact points, these factors can certainly have

1. What is the coefficient of friction and how does it relate to motorcycle accidents?

The coefficient of friction is a numerical value that represents the amount of friction between two surfaces in contact. In motorcycle accidents, the coefficient of friction is important because it determines how much grip the tires have on the road. A low coefficient of friction can lead to loss of control and increase the likelihood of an accident.

2. How is the coefficient of friction measured in a motorcycle accident?

The coefficient of friction is typically measured using a friction testing device, such as a tribometer or a skid trailer. These devices measure the force required to slide a tire over a surface and use that information to calculate the coefficient of friction.

3. What factors can affect the coefficient of friction in a motorcycle accident?

The coefficient of friction can be influenced by a variety of factors, including the condition of the road surface, the type and condition of the tires, the speed of the motorcycle, and any external forces such as weather conditions or debris on the road.

4. How can understanding the coefficient of friction help prevent motorcycle accidents?

By understanding the coefficient of friction, riders can make more informed decisions while riding, such as adjusting their speed or being more cautious on certain road surfaces. It can also help with choosing the right type of tires and maintaining them in good condition to ensure optimal grip on the road.

5. Are there any regulations or standards for the coefficient of friction in relation to motorcycle accidents?

There are currently no specific regulations or standards for the coefficient of friction in motorcycle accidents. However, many organizations, such as the Motorcycle Safety Foundation, provide guidelines and recommendations for riders to follow to help prevent accidents related to low coefficient of friction.