Mount Rack & Pinion Interference in PTC Creo | Avoidance & Solutions

In summary: The problem is that the rack is moving pi*24mm per turn of the pinion, but the pinion is actually making only pi*22.5mm per turn. It seems that Creo is getting the rotation of the rack wrong, and that is causing the timing to be off.
Chevreuil
Hello,

I have downloaded CAD models of a rack and pinion, and I don't seem to be able to mount them up in PTC Creo without quite obvious interference.

The pinion has a pitch diameter of 24 mm, and a modulus 2. The "pitch diameter" of the rack is exactly one modulus lower than the tip of the cogs on the rack. The modulus is, of course, 2 mm. Measurements on the CAD-models suggest that I haven't had a mixup of some kind.

In Creo, if I mount the pinion exactly 12 mm above the "pitch diameter" of the rack, it's quickly obvious that something is wrong. If I put a cog from the pinion facing straight down between two cogs of the rack, I get interference on both sides. If I rotate the pinion, after a few turns, the timing between the rack and the pinion is off. Why is this? Creo says that it is moving the rack pi*24mm per turn of the pinion, and I can't believe that Creo could mess that up. Have I done something wrong?

Increasing the mount height if the pinion to 12.5 mm, everything looks a lot better. The timing problem is still weird, though.

A) Why is this such a mystery?

B) Is it horrible to mount a pinion slightly off from a gear? This is for a feeding mechanism of a disposable item. The pinion stays in the machine, but the rack is supposed to be soft plastic, and it is discarded after it has passed the pinion.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Oh, sorry, nomenclature error, I meant the distance from the tip of the cog to the pitch line, which according to the roymech document is 1*module.

Pinion

20012-N20 from this site

http://www.mekanex.se/produkter/komponenter/kugghjul/cylindriska-kugghjul/

If you have trouble navigating and you are brave enough, use this direct link to zipped proE file.
http://old.solidcomponents.com/company/out/4103919/20012-N20_Mekanex.zip

Rack

K200500 from this site

http://www.mekanex.se/produkter/komponenter/kuggstanger/

zipped .prt
http://old.solidcomponents.com/company/out/4103932/K200500P_Mekanex.zip

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm having problems downloading those files . If you still want some help send me your drawings directly . Any common CAD file format is ok .

See conversation for my Email address .

Thank you!

I have sent the original .prt files from the Mekanex source. Mounting them so that the pitch diameter of the pinion is in contact with the "pitch diameter" of the rack (which is exactly 1 module from the tip of the cogs of the rack) give me serious interference issues. I also have trouble getting the translation of the rack right in Creo.

If I increase the mounting distance by half a module I get rid of the interference, but this sloppy solution messes up the timing even more.

1. What is the cause of mount rack and pinion interference in PTC Creo?

The most common cause of mount rack and pinion interference in PTC Creo is due to incorrect assembly or placement of the components. This can also be caused by improper design or tolerance specifications.

2. How does mount rack and pinion interference affect the functionality of PTC Creo?

Mount rack and pinion interference can cause mechanical failures, misalignment, and reduced accuracy in the movement of the components. This can ultimately affect the overall functionality and performance of PTC Creo.

3. How can I avoid mount rack and pinion interference in PTC Creo?

To avoid mount rack and pinion interference in PTC Creo, it is important to ensure that the components are properly designed and assembled with accurate tolerances. It is also recommended to perform regular checks and simulations to detect any potential interference issues.

4. What are some common solutions for mount rack and pinion interference in PTC Creo?

Some common solutions for mount rack and pinion interference in PTC Creo include adjusting the design or tolerance specifications, modifying the assembly process, or using alternative components that do not cause interference.

5. Can mount rack and pinion interference be fixed after it has already occurred in PTC Creo?

Yes, mount rack and pinion interference can be fixed after it has already occurred in PTC Creo. This can be done by adjusting the assembly, modifying the design, or using special tools to correct the interference. However, it is always best to prevent interference from happening in the first place.