Movement of a wave packet of a free particle

In summary, the equation for the real expression and localisation of a free particle with the superposited wave function is as follows: ##\psi (x,t) = e^{ik_{0}x-iw(k_{0})t} \Big( \frac{\pi}{\alpha+i\beta t} \Big)^{\frac{1}{2}} e^{-\big[\frac{(x-v_g t)^2}{4(\alpha+i\beta t)}\big]}##The equation for the movemement of a wave packet (which is a free particle) is as follows: ##\psi (x,
Jillds
In my course there's a chapter with the mathematical explanation to find the real expression and localisation of a free particle with the superposited wave function. The same is used to explain the movemement of a wave packet (which is a free particle). I've worked out almost all the math behind every step, but the last.

## \psi (x,t) = e^{ik_{0}x-iw(k_{0})t} \Big( \frac{\pi}{\alpha+i\beta t} \Big)^{\frac{1}{2}} e^{-\big[\frac{(x-v_g t)^2}{4(\alpha +i\beta t)}\big]}##

Next we take the square of the absolute of the wave function. I know the first exponent would equal to 1 as a square, as it is phasefactor. And if I calculate the rest as a square I have.

## |\psi (x,t)|^2 = \frac{\pi}{\alpha+i\beta t} e^{-\big[\frac{(x-v_g t)^2}{2(\alpha +i\beta t)}\big]}##

My course, however, has a different result, and I haven't got a clue what my professor did to get that result:

## |\psi (x,t)|^2 = \Big( \frac{\pi^2}{\alpha^2+\beta^2 t^2} \Big)^{\frac{1}{2}} e^{-\alpha \big[\frac{(x-v_g t)^2}{2(\alpha^2 +\beta^2 t^2)}\big]}##

How does one get ##\alpha^2 +\beta^2 t^2## ?

Physics news on Phys.org
When you take the complex conjugate of ##\psi## (in order to find ##|\psi|^2 = \psi^*\psi##), you have to change i to -i everywhere.

Likes Jillds
Thank you,

so, if I understand you correctly I have to do

## \big( \frac{\pi}{\alpha + i\beta t} \cdot \frac{\pi}{alpha - i\beta t}\big)^{\frac{1}{2}} = \big( \frac{\pi^2}{\alpha^2 - i^2\beta^2 t^2} \big)^{\frac{1}{2}} = \big( \frac{\pi^2}{\alpha^2 + \beta^2 t^2} \big)^{\frac{1}{2}}##

But how does that help with the power of the exponent?

Ok, I worked it out for the exponent as follows

## e^{-[\frac{(x-v_g t)^2}{4(\alpha + i\beta t)}]} \cdot e^{-[\frac{(x-v_g t)^2}{4(\alpha - i\beta t)}]}##
By then adding the powers of the exponents and working out the numenators of the fractions I get the desired result.

Thanks!

Likes vanhees71

Related to Movement of a wave packet of a free particle

What is a wave packet?

A wave packet is a localized disturbance or oscillation that carries energy through a medium. It is a combination of multiple waves with different frequencies and wavelengths that travel together as a single entity.

What is the movement of a wave packet of a free particle?

The movement of a wave packet of a free particle refers to the motion of a particle that is not subjected to any external forces and is represented by a wave function. This movement is described by the Schrödinger equation in quantum mechanics.

How is the movement of a wave packet of a free particle related to quantum mechanics?

The movement of a wave packet of a free particle is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics. It helps to describe the behavior of subatomic particles, such as electrons, which exhibit wave-like properties. The wave function of a particle describes the probability of finding the particle at a certain position in space and time.

What factors affect the movement of a wave packet of a free particle?

The movement of a wave packet of a free particle is affected by several factors, including the initial position and momentum of the particle, the potential energy of the system, and the uncertainty principle. The shape and size of the wave packet also play a role in determining its movement.

What are the practical applications of understanding the movement of a wave packet of a free particle?

Understanding the movement of a wave packet of a free particle has several practical applications, such as in the development of quantum technologies, including quantum computing and cryptography. It also helps in the study of materials and their properties, as well as in understanding the behavior of subatomic particles in various physical systems.