Movement of Water - Increasing day length

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the conservation of angular momentum, specifically the change in length of day due to the movement of water into reservoirs at mid-latitudes on Earth. The information provided includes the radius of gyration, radius and density of the Earth, and the density of water. The solution involves finding the initial and final angular momentum of the Earth and the water, with a question about the application of the radius of gyration. The conversation ends with a request for clarification and a random guess at the answer.
Sekonda
Hey,

I have a problem which I'm having trouble solving, it concerns the conservation of angular momentum.

I am given a volume of water that is held behind dams in the mid-latitudes on the Earth and am asked to determine the change in length of the day due to the movement of the water into these reservoirs. The water is moving from the equator, I believe, into these mid latitude based reservoirs. I am given the radius of gyration, radius and density of the Earth, I am still unsure what exactly the radius of gyration is! I am also told the density of water.

Now the problem is solved by using conservation of angular momentum; now what I think I have to do is find the angular momentum about a diameter axis of the Earth initially with its initial angular velocity and then to equate this to the sum of the angular momentum of the Earth about the same axis with its final angular velocity, and the angular momentum of the water in its new location.

I'm not sure if this is correct, and I'm a bit confused of how to formulate the last term - the angular momentum of the water in its new location.

Thanks for any help guys!
S

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll try and simplify my questions!

What exactly is the radius of gyration and how is it applicable to a rotating (around a diameter fixed axis) solid spherical mass in which a small amount of mass, equally distributed around the equator, is moved to the mid-latitudes, I'm guessing 45 degrees.

I think this is at the heart of my issue with this particular problem, thanks guys!

i'd give it a go for a random guess at about 0.2ms

hope this helps alot:)

What is the "Movement of Water" phenomenon?

The movement of water refers to the transfer of water from one place to another, often caused by natural processes such as precipitation, evaporation, and transpiration.

How does increasing day length affect the movement of water?

Increasing day length can lead to increased evaporation rates, which in turn can increase the movement of water. This is because longer days mean more time for water to evaporate from bodies of water, as well as from plants through transpiration.

What role do plants play in the movement of water?

Plants play a crucial role in the movement of water through the process of transpiration. As they absorb water from the soil through their roots, they release water vapor through tiny pores on their leaves, contributing to the overall movement of water in the environment.

How does the movement of water impact the environment?

The movement of water is essential for sustaining life on Earth. It helps to distribute nutrients and minerals to plants, replenish bodies of water, and regulate the Earth's temperature. It also plays a crucial role in the water cycle, which is vital for the survival of all living organisms.

What factors can influence the movement of water besides day length?

Other factors that can influence the movement of water include temperature, wind, humidity, and topography. These factors can affect the rate of evaporation, precipitation, and transpiration, thus impacting the overall movement of water in an ecosystem.