Movies & TV: Teaching Kids How to Behave in Society

In summary, movies and television shows not only aim to entertain but also serve as a way to teach society about proper behavior. This is often portrayed through the triumph of good over evil, sending the message that doing good is advantageous. It is also suggested that the government closely monitors the content of these media forms. Additionally, children and teenagers often turn to TV and movies to learn about social norms. However, it is noted that in real life, good deeds are not always rewarded, as shown by the personal experience of buying a metro ticket during a malfunction. Despite this, movies offer an escape and present ideal scenarios where good deeds are always rewarded, aligning with societal values.
pivoxa15
I have just realized that one purpose of movies and television shows is to kind of give the community a message of 'how to behave' in society. Obviously it must also be entertaining. The goodies always tend to win in movies which is trying to give us the message that doing 'good' is advantageous. Imagine movies where the 'badies' win, then society might act more like the which would ruin society. So I imagine all movies and television shows are strictly monitored by the government.

Kids and teens are keen to learn how to behave in society and what is considered acceptable or cool. So they naturally turn to TVs and movies. Hence letting minors watch TV and movies is good in a way.

Any suggestions, comments?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Good deeds nearly always go with a reward in a movie which is rarely the case in real life. We all love to think that good deeds should be rewarded and thus in movies they tend to be. We all know of examples where good deeds certainly do not get rewarded. I remember as a kid taking the metro to school, and one day the tricket machines were broken at the station I used to get on at. When i got off I paid my fare at the machine and carried on my way to school. When I got to school a fellow pupil had seen me buy a ticket when i got off the metro and asked what I was doing. When i told everyone that the ticket machines were broken where i got on and I paid my fare at the end of the journey I got teased something rotten.

So I suppose the moral of the story is when you think you are doing something honestly it doesn't always mean it will be received well. Yet we all like to think it would be, and movies give people that escape. They are perfect scenarios, and luckily I think it also means that the majority of people agree on the correct course of action.

As a scientist, it is important to approach this topic with objectivity and evidence-based reasoning. While it is true that movies and TV shows can serve as a form of education and influence societal behavior, it is important to note that they are just one of many factors that shape a person's behavior.

Research has shown that there are many other factors, such as family, peers, and personal experiences, that also play a significant role in shaping a person's behavior. Furthermore, it is not always the case that the "goodies" win in movies and television shows. There are many examples of antiheroes or morally ambiguous characters who are portrayed as the protagonists.

Additionally, the idea of strict government monitoring of movies and TV shows raises concerns about censorship and freedom of expression. It is important for individuals to have the ability to critically analyze and interpret media messages, rather than relying on strict monitoring and control.

Overall, while movies and TV shows can have an impact on societal behavior, it is important to recognize that they are just one piece of the puzzle and should not be solely relied upon for teaching children and teens how to behave in society. It is important for parents and caregivers to have open and honest discussions with children about values and behavior, and for individuals to continue to critically analyze media messages.

What is the purpose of using movies and TV shows to teach kids how to behave in society?

The purpose of using movies and TV shows to teach kids how to behave in society is to provide them with relatable examples of good and bad behavior that they can learn from. These visual aids can help children understand complex social cues and norms in a way that is engaging and entertaining.

How can movies and TV shows influence a child's behavior?

Movies and TV shows can influence a child's behavior by showing them positive role models and demonstrating the consequences of negative behavior. Children often mimic what they see on screen, so by showcasing desirable behaviors, these media can help shape a child's actions in real life.

Are all movies and TV shows suitable for teaching kids how to behave in society?

No, not all movies and TV shows are suitable for teaching kids how to behave in society. It is important for parents and educators to carefully select age-appropriate and educational media that align with their values and goals for teaching children about social behavior.

How can parents and educators use movies and TV shows to effectively teach kids about social behavior?

Parents and educators can use movies and TV shows to effectively teach kids about social behavior by actively watching and discussing the content with children. This allows for open communication and the opportunity to reinforce positive behaviors and address any negative behaviors that may arise.

Are there any potential drawbacks to using movies and TV shows as a tool for teaching kids how to behave in society?

While movies and TV shows can be beneficial in teaching kids about social behavior, there are potential drawbacks. These media can sometimes portray unrealistic or exaggerated behaviors, which may not accurately reflect real-life situations. It is important for parents and educators to provide context and discuss any discrepancies with children.