Moving a box with a force that is less than gravity

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of keeping a box with given mass in motion using a force that is less than the weight of the box. It is determined that the minimum force required can be calculated using the equation F_o(θ)=\frac{\mu_k mg}{cos(θ)-μ_k sin(θ)}, and that the turning point, where F0 < Fg, can be found by solving F'o(θ)=0 for theta. It is also mentioned that in order for the box to move, the force applied must be greater than the force of friction, which can be calculated as μmg.cos(θ).
kotchenski

Homework Statement

The object is a box with a given mass m. Our person has the choice between pushing the box with a horizontal force, or pulling the box with a wire with an angle of θ=30o. The magnitude of Fo is the force vector he affects the box with in both cases.

Is it possible (If you can freely choose a value for θ) to keep the box moving without using a force fo that is greater than the gravity on the box

Homework Equations

A drawing of the situation:
http://myupload.dk/handleupload/64d68oBb8KHy8

I believe I need an equation that describes the force Fo of θ, which I've found is given as:
[itex]F_o(θ)=\frac{\mu_k mg}{cos(θ)-μ_k sin(θ)}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I could choose to solve F'o(θ)=0 for theta which gives θ=arctan(μk)

This would describe the minimum force required but I don't know how to relate that to Fg

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the relationship between friction and the weight of the box?

But what would the turning point tell you?
Don't you want to know where F0 < Fg

Simon Bridge said:
What is the relationship between friction and the weight of the box?

But what would the turning point tell you?
Don't you want to know where F0 < Fg

So if I use that Fnet(x)=Fo*cos(θ)-μn

And that Fnet(x)<0, then the value of θ<arctan(μ), and therefor I'm applying a force Fo that is less than gravity? Wouldn't that technically mean the box is not moving and is being held back by the friction?

Wouldn't that technically mean the box is not moving and is being held back by the friction?
Why would that be? Gravity is mg... and force less than mg would be less than gravity. To overcome friction it just has to overcome μmg.cos(θ) ...

, the force of gravity on the box.

I would say that it is indeed possible to keep the box moving without using a force greater than gravity. This is because the force of gravity on the box, Fg, is a constant downward force that does not change regardless of the angle of the applied force, θ. As long as the applied force, Fo, is greater than or equal to the force of friction, Ff, the box will continue to move.

The equation you have provided, F'o(θ)=\frac{\mu_k mg}{cos(θ)-μ_k sin(θ)}, is correct and can be used to calculate the minimum force required to keep the box moving at a constant velocity. However, it does not directly relate to the force of gravity on the box. To determine the relationship between Fo and Fg, we can use the equation Ff=μkFg, where μk is the coefficient of kinetic friction. This tells us that the force of friction is directly proportional to the force of gravity. Therefore, as long as Fo is greater than or equal to Ff, the force of gravity will not have a significant impact on the movement of the box.

In conclusion, as long as the applied force is greater than or equal to the force of friction, the box can be kept moving without using a force greater than gravity. This is because the force of gravity does not change with the angle of the applied force.

What is the concept of "moving a box with a force that is less than gravity"?

The concept refers to the application of a force that is less than the gravitational force acting on an object, in order to move the object from one position to another.

What is the significance of moving a box with a force that is less than gravity?

Moving a box with a force that is less than gravity can be useful in situations where using a greater force may not be possible or necessary, such as in delicate or precise movements.

How does the force of gravity affect moving a box with a force that is less than gravity?

The force of gravity still acts on the box, but the applied force must be greater than the force of friction in order for the box to move. This is known as the "net force" and is essential for any movement to occur.

What are some examples of situations where moving a box with a force that is less than gravity would be applicable?

Some examples include moving fragile objects, such as glassware or electronics, using a lever or pulley system, or using precise movements in robotics or industrial machinery.

What are some potential challenges or limitations when moving a box with a force that is less than gravity?

Some challenges may include the need for more time and effort to move the box, as well as the risk of the box tipping over due to the unbalanced forces. Additionally, the applied force must be carefully calculated to ensure it is enough to overcome the force of friction, but not so much that it causes damage to the box or the surface it is being moved on.