Moving a Skateboard: Investigating Parameters Affecting Motion

• Thread starter Ginger Chen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Skateboard
In summary, the conversation discusses the investigation of parameters that affect the motion of a skateboard when propelled by the movement of the body. The concept of friction and changing the center of mass are mentioned, along with difficulties in explaining the exact parameters. The conversation also references a physics problem related to skateboarding and discusses the simultaneous action of the skateboard wheels and the force exerted by the body.
Ginger Chen

Homework Statement

A skateboarder on a horizontal surface can accelerate from rest just by moving the body, without touching external support. Investigate the parameters that affect the motion of a skateboard propelled by this method.

2. The attempt at a solution

I think that "friction" and "changing the center of mass" are what cause this happen. But I got some problems in how to explain the parameters that affect the motion exactly. And as I remebered, the center of the mass won't change. But what I tried to make to skateboard move is to kneel a little bit and make the upper part of my body forward, and then move the skateboard forward by my waist (and the movement shall be faster than the one I move my upper body).

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Ginger Chen! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Try a google search for "physics of skateboarding". :wink:

Problem 7 for the 22nd IYPT?

You are doing two things at once with this action (what's it called?). The direction that the wheels track oscillates, and the force your body's inertial exerts, nominally sideways, on the wheels oscillates, as well.

Last edited:

Related to Moving a Skateboard: Investigating Parameters Affecting Motion

1. What is the purpose of this experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to investigate and understand the various parameters that affect the motion of a skateboard, such as the angle of the ramp, the force applied, and the surface of the ramp.

2. What equipment is needed for this experiment?

The equipment needed for this experiment includes a skateboard, a ramp, a protractor to measure angles, a force meter, and a stopwatch to measure the time of the skateboard's motion.

3. How do you control the angle of the ramp in this experiment?

The angle of the ramp can be controlled by adjusting the height of the ramp using blocks or books. The protractor can be used to measure the angle of the ramp accurately.

4. How do you measure the force applied to the skateboard?

The force applied to the skateboard can be measured using a force meter. The force meter can be attached to the skateboard, and the force can be recorded when the skateboard is released down the ramp.

5. What are some variables that can affect the motion of the skateboard in this experiment?

Some variables that can affect the motion of the skateboard in this experiment include the angle of the ramp, the force applied, the surface of the ramp, the weight of the skateboard, and the surface of the wheels.