Moving a Spool by Pulling It

In summary, the question discusses an example of rotational motion involving a rotating spool and a tension force applied by pulling a cord. There are some questions about the direction and calculation of the tension force, as well as the role of friction in the motion. The conversation also touches on the relationship between the linear velocity of the spool and the string and provides a derivation for the work done by the tension force.
Leo Liu
Homework Statement
:(
Relevant Equations
Rotational Motion, Work-Energy, Impulse
Hi folks! I was teaching myself rotational motion when encountered an example which states as follows:
1577284998132.png
1577285654436.png
1577285723286.png

My questions:
1. I do not understand why pulling the cord moves the rotating spool to the right. There were some discussions on stackexchange (https://physics.stackexchange.com/a/221148/231749), and someone concluded that "Case of rolling without slipping:
In that case the spool would be accelerating to the left (−x−x-direction) and the spool will be rotating anti-clockwise."
Could anyone elucidate the motion in this question?

2. I do not really know how to calculate the work done by the tension. It would be great if someone can explain it.

3. I tried to find the friction by calculating the torque, but I did not get the same answer as the textbook. Is it because the torque of the tension exerted on the spool is not always perpendicular to the r?
My work:

nnnhVzOB5isUUDE0LCH1Zff6h_pBeQO9szx6xgFGkGY2c6t24Y.png

F3MgCvsXg42xbUGgx_ftLlgF7FoRY5x5ByOmJr8zyA0zee03hi.png

IroLl707x_AKC5nkfSWRWG60fy2l_2TYI67aIt_aJbIflVB6YC.png

Thanks in advance and merry Christmas!

Attachments

• 1577285586549.png
    1577285586549.png
    44.8 KB · Views: 199
  • 1577285775294.png
    1577285775294.png
    45.2 KB · Views: 215
  • 1577289271593.png
    1577289271593.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you take into account that the table's horizontal component of force exerted is also to the right?

rcgldr said:
Did you take into account that the table's horizontal component of force exerted is also to the right?
Hi. Do you mean the friction?

Last edited:
Leo Liu said:
Yes, the friction could act to the right. It depends on how high the pulled string is. Impossible to say without knowing the ratios of the distances. But you do not need to care about it - the algebra is the same.

Last edited:
Leo Liu said:
I do not understand why pulling the cord moves the rotating spool to the right.
It seems obvious that a force to the right (the tension) would tend to move it to the right. Can you explain more what bothers you about that?

Leo Liu said:
2. I do not really know how to calculate the work done by the tension. It would be great if someone can explain it.

3. I tried to find the friction by calculating the torque, but I did not get the same answer as the textbook. Is it because the torque of the tension exerted on the spool is not always perpendicular to the r?
My work:

View attachment 254682
As the text indicates, if you can find the tension and the distance the hand moves then multiplying them will give the work done. What is the relationship between the linear velocity of the spool and that of the string?

Wrt your equations, the first one appears to be dimensionally invalid. The LHS has dimension T-2 but the RHS LT-2.

rcgldr said:
Leo Liu said:
Since the radius for the tension component is smaller than the radius of the wheel, the tension exerts a clockwise torque, and the wheels rate of rotation would accelerate at a greater rate without friction than with friction (from the tabletop). The horizontal component of force from the tabletop is to the right, in the same direction as the tension, but partially countering the torque related to tension.
Yes if the tension in the cable results in a torque that would produce greater angular acceleration if there was no friction.

Last edited:
haruspex said:
As the text indicates, if you can find the tension and the distance the hand moves then multiplying them will give the work done. What is the relationship between the linear velocity of the spool and that of the string?

Wrt your equations, the first one appears to be dimensionally invalid. The LHS has dimension T-2 but the RHS LT-2.
Could you tell me why do we need to consider the work done by the tension exerted along
1577314902617.png
? Why shouldn't it just be W = FL? Thank you.

Derivation:
1577315279536.png

(I am sorry the middle one should be 2aR instead)

Last edited:
Leo Liu said:
Someone has answered this on stackexchange
That is a different case, in that case, the string is being wound around the bottom of the inner axis, while in this question, the string is being unwound from the top of the inner axis.

Likes Leo Liu
rcgldr said:
That is a different case, in that case, the string is being wound around the bottom of the inner axis, while in this question, the string is being unwound from the top of the inner axis.
Never mind, I misinterpreted the question. Thank you!

rcgldr said:
Yes. Since the radius for the tension component is smaller than the radius of the wheel, the tension exerts a clockwise torque, and the wheels rate of rotation would accelerate at a greater rate without friction than with friction (from the tabletop). The horizontal component of force from the tabletop is to the right, in the same direction as the tension, but partially countering the torque related to tension.
As I commented,
a) it is not possible to say which way friction will act without further information; e.g. suppose r is very small compared with R: T would exert little torque, so friction must act to the left to provide the necessary angular acceleration; alternatively, with r=R, T provides too much torque and friction acts to the right; in between there is a ratio of r to R for which there is no frictional force.
b) we do not need to worry about which way friction acts; the equations are the same.

Leo Liu said:
Why shouldn't it just be W = FL?
The work the hand does is that of pulling with a force T some distance. The hand does not know what it is pulling, only the force it exerts and the distance it moves in that direction.
But the expression you have for that distance, ##\frac rRL##, implies it is less than L. Does that seem right?

Wrt "##\omega_f=\alpha\Delta x##", if I interpret those variables correctly, says a rate of rotation (dimension T-1) equals an angular acceleration (dimension T-2) multiplied by a displacement (dimension L). Not possible.

Likes Leo Liu
haruspex said:
The work the hand does is that of pulling with a force T some distance. The hand does not know what it is pulling, only the force it exerts and the distance it moves in that direction.
But the expression you have for that distance, ##\frac rRL##, implies it is less than L. Does that seem right?

Wrt "##\omega_f=\alpha\Delta x##", if I interpret those variables correctly, says a rate of rotation (dimension T-1) equals an angular acceleration (dimension T-2) multiplied by a displacement (dimension L). Not possible.
Got it, thanks

1. How much force is required to move a spool by pulling it?

The amount of force required to move a spool by pulling it depends on several factors, including the weight of the spool, the friction between the spool and the surface it is resting on, and the angle at which it is being pulled. Generally, the greater the weight of the spool and the higher the friction, the more force will be needed to move it.

2. What is the most efficient way to pull a spool?

The most efficient way to pull a spool is by using a pulley system. This allows the force to be distributed evenly and reduces the amount of force needed to move the spool. Alternatively, using a handle or grip attached to the spool itself can also make it easier to pull.

3. Can a spool be pulled on any surface?

Yes, a spool can be pulled on any surface, but the amount of force required may vary depending on the surface. Smooth surfaces with low friction will require less force to move the spool compared to rough or uneven surfaces with higher friction.

4. Is it possible to move a spool by pulling it without causing it to unravel?

Yes, it is possible to move a spool by pulling it without causing it to unravel. This can be achieved by pulling the spool at a slow and steady pace and ensuring that the spool is properly secured or held in place while being pulled.

5. Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind when moving a spool by pulling it?

Yes, there are a few safety precautions to keep in mind when moving a spool by pulling it. It is important to make sure that the spool is not too heavy to pull, and that the pulling force is evenly distributed to avoid strain or injury. Additionally, it is important to be aware of any potential hazards in the surrounding area, such as tripping hazards or obstacles that may impede movement.