Moving an asteroid into earth orbit

In summary, the conversation is about the possibility of capturing and bringing back a 500 feet diameter asteroid for mining. The calculations for its weight and distance from Earth are discussed, along with the potential need for future propulsion systems. The idea of using nuclear explosions or nudging the asteroid with another spacecraft is mentioned, but it is suggested that it may be more cost effective to directly mine the asteroid in its original orbit.
cxxviii
Hi, I'm trying to figure out how big an asteroid we might be able to "capture" and bring back into Earth orbit for mining - both with today's technology and with potential technologies of the future. Specifically I am looking at a rock that is 500 feet in diameter and relatively round. My math is rusty, so forgive me if the calculations below are bad (also, sorry I'm not using metric system...):

500 ft diameter round asteroid, 65.5 million cubic feet, 12.2 billion lbs (assuming 175 lbs/cu ft). If it's 140 million miles away in the asteroid belt and I want to get it back to Earth in about 6 months, that means I need it to get it to about 9 miles per second, which by my very quick and rusty math would need like 80 billion kN of force?? Is that right? Yikes.

Any hope of future propulsion systems/rockets that could come close to doing this??
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure how you got your number since you didn't show your "quick and rusty" math (and you switched between imperial and metric units to boot). However, the asteroids in the asteroid belt are traveling at around 15 miles/s which is slower than the Earth's orbital speed of around 18 miles/s.

So you would need to first do a Hohmann transfer to the lower orbit by slowing it down so that it drops into an elliptical orbit between the Earth and the asteroid belt. Then when it hits the perihelion it will be traveling much faster and so needs to be slowed down again to match 18 miles/s after which it is now in the same orbit as the earth.

Then you would have to give it another kick to put it into orbit around the earth. Presumably you would want it much closer than the moon which means giving it more orbital speed.

I think these impulses could be achieved with either nuclear explosions or by nudging it with another spacecraft bumping into it repeatedly. The asteroids are spinning so you couldn't attach any thruster to it. Not sure how much force or energy this would translate into but I suspect that it would be more cost effective just to send spacecraft directly to mine the asteroid in its original orbit.

1. How would moving an asteroid into Earth's orbit affect our planet?

Moving an asteroid into Earth's orbit could have both positive and negative effects. On one hand, it could provide us with valuable resources and materials for space exploration and potential mining. However, it could also pose a threat of collision and potential devastation if not properly controlled.

2. How do scientists plan to move an asteroid into Earth's orbit?

Scientists have proposed various methods for moving an asteroid into Earth's orbit. These include using gravitational forces, solar sails, or nuclear explosions to alter the asteroid's trajectory. It would require careful planning and precise calculations to ensure the asteroid is moved safely and accurately.

3. Is it possible to move an asteroid into Earth's orbit?

Yes, it is possible to move an asteroid into Earth's orbit. However, it would require advanced technology and careful planning to ensure a successful and safe maneuver. It would also depend on the size and composition of the asteroid and its current trajectory.

4. What are the potential benefits of moving an asteroid into Earth's orbit?

Moving an asteroid into Earth's orbit could provide us with valuable resources and materials for space exploration and potential mining. It could also serve as a potential stepping stone for future manned missions to other planets and celestial bodies.

5. Are there any risks associated with moving an asteroid into Earth's orbit?

Yes, there are potential risks associated with moving an asteroid into Earth's orbit. If not properly controlled, it could pose a threat of collision and potential devastation to our planet. It would also require careful consideration of the asteroid's composition to ensure it does not contain hazardous materials.