Moving electron under two magnetic fields

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of force in respect to time and the use of the mass of the electron in the equation. It is mentioned that the exercise only asks for the force at time ##t## and does not require the calculation of a trajectory. It is agreed upon that the calculation should be done using the known values of position, velocity and field, without the need for the variable ##d##.
merdeka
Homework Statement
A coil ##\vec{B}## a current of intensity ##i## created in ##M## a magnetic field ##\vec{B}_1##. A magnet ##A## created in ##M## a magnetic field ##\vec{B}_2## .

What is the force undergone by a charge particle ##q## with a velocity ##\vec{v}## that is in ##M## at time ##t## ?

Taking into account the mass of the electron.
Relevant Equations
##F=q\cdot v\cdot B\cdot\sin(\vec{v},\vec{B})##
Moving_particle_2_mag_fields_with_vectors_on_M.svg.png

In this question, I would have to calculate the force in respect to time. However, the question gives me the value of the mass of the electron. In my attempt, I didn't take that into account. I just replaced ##v## with ##\frac{d}{t}## and made the Lorentz force undergone by the particle inversely proportional, but this is probably not correct.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

merdeka said:
the force in respect to time
I think the exercise asks for the force at time ##t## and doesn't want you to calculate a trajectory. (For which there is no information given anyway)

BvU said:
Hi,

I think the exercise asks for the force at time ##t## and doesn't want you to calculate a trajectory. (For which there is no information given anyway)
The question didn't give any information or value for a point in time.

So we agree on that. At time ##t##, position, velocity and field are known. There is no ##d## in the problem and you don't need it. Calculate in a straightforward manner with the equation you mention..

1. What is the concept of "moving electron under two magnetic fields"?

The concept of "moving electron under two magnetic fields" refers to the behavior of an electron when it is subjected to the influence of two different magnetic fields at the same time. This can occur in various scenarios, such as in an experiment or in a natural phenomenon, and can have significant impacts on the movement and behavior of the electron.

2. How do two magnetic fields affect the movement of an electron?

The influence of two magnetic fields on an electron depends on the direction and strength of the fields. If the fields are parallel or in the same direction, the electron will experience a force in the same direction as the fields, either increasing or decreasing its velocity. However, if the fields are perpendicular or in opposite directions, the electron will experience a force that can cause it to move in a circular or helical path.

3. Can the movement of an electron under two magnetic fields be controlled?

Yes, the movement of an electron under two magnetic fields can be controlled by adjusting the strength and direction of the fields. By changing these parameters, scientists can manipulate the path and velocity of the electron, which can be useful in various applications such as in particle accelerators and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) technology.

4. What are some real-life examples of the "moving electron under two magnetic fields" phenomenon?

One example is the Earth's magnetic field and the solar wind. The charged particles in the solar wind interact with the Earth's magnetic field, causing the electrons in the ionosphere to move in a circular path, resulting in phenomena like the auroras. Another example is in MRI technology, where strong magnetic fields are used to manipulate the movement of electrons in the body to produce images.

5. What are the implications of studying the "moving electron under two magnetic fields"?

Studying the behavior of electrons under two magnetic fields can provide insights into the fundamental laws of electromagnetism and quantum mechanics. It also has practical applications in various fields, from materials science to astrophysics. Understanding this phenomenon can lead to advancements in technology and help us better understand the natural world.