MPI using Intel Fortran compiler

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding how MPI (Message Passing Interface) works and a specific issue with a master-slave setup where one slave node is not communicating with the master. The question is related to parallel programming and the suggestion is made to seek help from a HPPC (High Performance Parallel Computing) forum or a supercomputing center. The term HPPC is explained and it is suggested to also look for information on the topic on Physics Forums or through Cray's forum.
adrian_ortega
Hi everyone,

I have a question about how MPI works. Currently I have a job running on MPI on the mode master_slave, I mean that every slave executes a separate task without communicate with the others slaves, once a slave-node finishes, it sends a warning to the master and then the master delivers another job to the free slave.
Now, the master is in a do-loop with a parameter say k and I wish to deliver jobs from k_init to k_end; but here is the catch. By some strange reason, at the middle of the do-loop on k, one slave finishes running the task, but never it never warns the master that it finishes, I mean:

Call ProgramaCentral(kRank) ! Some slave node executes succesfully the task

Call MPI_Send( masterBuf, 3, MPI_INTEGER, 0, 0, MPI_COMM_WORLD, ierrMPI ) ! Some slave never warns the master

It appears that it get stuck in the limbo between these two lines.

Technology news on Phys.org
I have no experience working with MPI, yet. I'm going to guess that since you're using the combination of Fortran and MPI, you're working on some parallel programing. If that is the case, this question might be better directed at a HPPC forum (unless someone on here has some HPPC experience!) or someone who works at a supercomputing center.

Hi,

what does it mean HPPC? Is there on Physics Forums?

HPPC means High Performance Parallel Computing. I'm not sure if Physics Forums has a spot for this. Cray might have a forum on the topic though. I don't mean to push you away from these forums -- that's not my intention.

There might be a wealth of information on what you need to know right on here!

Hello,

MPI (Message Passing Interface) is a parallel programming model used for distributed memory systems, where multiple processors or nodes communicate with each other through messages. The Intel Fortran compiler is a popular compiler used for scientific and technical computing.

In your case, you are using the master_slave mode in MPI, where each slave executes a separate task without communicating with the other slaves. This mode is useful for tasks that can be parallelized and do not require communication between nodes. However, it seems that one of your slave nodes is not properly communicating with the master, causing it to get stuck in the middle of the do-loop.

There could be several reasons for this issue. One possibility is that the slave node might be encountering an error or exception that is not handled properly, causing it to get stuck. Another possibility is that the MPI_Send function is not being executed correctly, which could be due to incorrect parameters or an issue with the MPI library.

To troubleshoot this issue, you can try debugging your code to see where exactly the slave node is getting stuck. You can also check the MPI documentation for the correct usage of the MPI_Send function and make sure that all the parameters are correctly specified.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your project!

Best regards,

1. What is MPI?

MPI (Message Passing Interface) is a programming model used for parallel computing, allowing multiple processors to communicate and work together on a single task. It is commonly used in scientific computing and large-scale data processing.

2. What is the Intel Fortran compiler?

The Intel Fortran compiler is a software development tool used for compiling and optimizing Fortran code for Intel processors. It is specifically designed for high-performance computing and supports MPI for parallel programming.

3. How do I install and set up MPI with the Intel Fortran compiler?

The installation and set up process for MPI with the Intel Fortran compiler may vary depending on your operating system and specific compiler version. It is best to refer to the official Intel documentation for detailed instructions on installation and configuration.

4. What are the benefits of using MPI with the Intel Fortran compiler?

Using MPI with the Intel Fortran compiler allows for efficient parallel programming and utilization of multiple processors, resulting in faster execution times for complex computations. The compiler also includes optimization features for improved performance and debugging tools for easier troubleshooting.

5. Are there any limitations when using MPI with the Intel Fortran compiler?

One limitation of using MPI with the Intel Fortran compiler is that it is only compatible with Intel processors. Additionally, proper synchronization and communication between processors must be carefully managed to avoid errors and ensure optimal performance.