MSW effect for Solar Neutrinos

In summary, the figure shows the conversion of neutrons through the Sun for different core density cases. The top figure indicates that the initial electron neutrino is mainly in the ##\nu_{2m}## state, and as it evolves adiabatically, it exits the Sun mainly in the ##\nu_2## state. The rest diagrams show the initial neutrino composition, which is determined by the matter angle and the relation between neutrino energy and matter density. The transitions between different states can be understood through formulae, with the dominant state changing based on the matter potential.
ChrisVer
Gold Member
Can someone help me understand the following figure?

It shows how the conversion of neutrons (electron neutrinos=red, muon neutrinos=blue) is happening through the Sun for different cases of the core's density (relative to the resonance density).

I only understood the top figure, which tells me that I get an electron neutrino produced that is mainly in the ##\nu_{1m}## state, and because of matter effects, when it reaches the resonance (##\Delta m_m =min##) we get each ##\nu_{im}## being 50-50 of neutrinos. Then the ##n## keeps dropping and so the muonic component of ##\nu_{1m}## gets larger until ##\nu_{1m} \rightarrow \nu_1## (vacuum) with the small mixing angle (here zero/no oscillations only matter effects).

However in the rest diagrams, I don't understand why the initial neutrino composition is such.

Attachments

• b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 493
Physics news on Phys.org
ChrisVer said:
I only understood the top figure, which tells me that I get an electron neutrino produced that is mainly in the ν1m\nu_{1m} state
This is not what the top figure shows, it show the electron neutrino produced mainly in the ##\nu_{2m}## state. As the neutrino evolves adiabatically, when the state exits the Sun, it is essentially in the ##\nu_2## state, which only has a subdominant component of electron neutrino (##\theta_{12} \simeq 33^\circ##).

ChrisVer said:
However in the rest diagrams, I don't understand why the initial neutrino composition is such.

The initial matter angle depends on the relation between the neutrino energy and the matter (electron) density. If the energy is on-resonance, the electron neutrino would be 50-50 ##\nu_{1m}## and ##\nu_{2m}##. Anywhere above resonance, it is mainly ##\nu_{2m}## and below resonance it goes towards the vacuum composition.

Likes ChrisVer
Orodruin said:
This is not what the top figure shows, it show the electron neutrino produced mainly in the ν2m

Sorry "##\nu_{1m}##" was a typo of mind (it doesn't correspond to the figure) and I meant ##\nu_{2m}##.

Also, I generally prefer figure 2 of this paper for understanding the flavour composition dependence on the matter potential, but admittedly I am biased for obvious reasons. The solar resonance is that which appears around ##VE \simeq 10^{-5}\ \rm{eV}^2##.

I'm trying to see those transitions from formulae...
You get the initial electron-neutrino composition from:
[itex] |\nu_e> = \cos (\theta_m) | \nu_{1m}> + \sin (\theta_m) |\nu_{2m}>[/itex]
With
[itex] \sin (2\theta_m) = \frac{\sin (2\theta)}{C}[/itex]
and
[itex]C= \sqrt{[A_{CC}-\cos(2\theta)]^2+ \sin^2(2\theta)}[/itex]
[itex]A= \frac{2 \sqrt{2}G_F n_e E}{\Delta m^2}[/itex]?

So for [itex]n_e =n_R[/itex] you get [itex]\sin^2 2 \theta_m =1 \Rightarrow \theta_m = \pm \frac{\pi}{4}[/itex] and so the [itex]\nu_e \approx \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[|\nu_{1m}>+ | \nu_{2m}>][/itex]?

Then for [itex]n_e \gg n_R[/itex] the [itex]C\approx A_{CC} \gg 1[/itex] and so [itex]\sin 2 \theta_m \approx 0 \Rightarrow \theta_m \approx 0,\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex] and for 0: [itex]|\nu_e> \approx |\nu_{1m}>[/itex] while for ##\pi/2## [itex]|\nu_e> \approx |\nu_{2m}>[/itex]? *that's reversed*

By continuity then, the inbetween values will have a dominant [itex]\nu_{2m}[/itex]...the opposite holds for [itex]n_e <n_R[/itex] until it reaches the [itex]\theta_m= \theta \approx 33^o[/itex].

Last edited:
You can remove the minus sign from the ##\theta_m = \pm \pi/4##, otherwise yes.

Likes ChrisVer
OK I think I got it, thanks :biggrin:

Related to MSW effect for Solar Neutrinos

1. What is the MSW effect for Solar Neutrinos?

The MSW effect, named after physicists Stanislav Mikheyev and Alexei Smirnov, is a phenomenon that explains the oscillation of neutrinos from one type to another as they travel through matter. In the context of solar neutrinos, it describes how electron neutrinos produced in the core of the sun can transform into other types of neutrinos as they pass through the sun's dense layers.

2. How does the MSW effect affect solar neutrino detection?

The MSW effect can significantly impact the detection of solar neutrinos because it causes the original electron neutrinos to transform into other types of neutrinos that are more difficult to detect. This can lead to a discrepancy between the expected and measured number of neutrinos, which was observed in early solar neutrino experiments.

3. What determines the strength of the MSW effect?

The strength of the MSW effect depends on several factors, including the density of the matter that the neutrinos travel through and the energy of the neutrinos. Additionally, the MSW effect is more prominent for certain types of neutrinos, such as electron neutrinos, compared to others.

4. How has the MSW effect been confirmed?

The MSW effect has been confirmed through numerous experiments, including the Sudbury Neutrino Observatory (SNO) and the Super-Kamiokande experiments. These experiments were able to detect the other types of neutrinos that were produced as a result of the MSW effect, providing evidence for its existence.

5. Can the MSW effect be applied to other types of neutrinos?

Yes, the MSW effect can be applied to all types of neutrinos, not just solar neutrinos. It has also been observed in other astrophysical sources such as supernovae and in laboratory experiments using artificial sources of neutrinos. The effect is a fundamental aspect of neutrino physics and has important implications for our understanding of the properties of these elusive particles.