Why am I encountering the binary system in this problem?

In summary, the problem of dividing coins into bags to create any amount is related to the binary number system because it allows for a unique way to make each sum without needing multiple coin types. This efficiency is why we rarely see $4 or $8 coins or bills in society, as our money system is based on multiples of 5 and 10 due to the number of fingers on our hands. Using other number systems such as ternary would require more bags and result in wasteful choices.
musicgold
Hi,
This is not homework. I need to understand why the binary number system works in the case of a particular problem.

While trying to solve the puzzle below, I set out to finding the minimum number of denominations required to create a particular amount. To create any amount up to $15, I just need to have 4 coin types: 1, 2, 4, 8. Then I realized this problem is somehow related to the binary number system or the ##2^n## system.

"A dealer has 1000 one-dollar coins and 10 bags. He has to divide the coins over the ten bags, so that he can make any number of coins simply by handing over a few bags. How must divide his money into the ten bags?"

1. Homework Statement

a. Why is this issue related to the binary system or doubling successive amounts? Why, for example, is it not related ##3^n## or ##5^n##? Is it some how related to the nature of reality?

b. Why do we almost never see $4 or $8 coins or bills in any society, even though they are the building blocks (as we saw above) to create any amount?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Thanks

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
musicgold said:
Hi,
This is not homework. I need to understand why the binary number system works in the case of a particular problem.

While trying to solve the puzzle below, I set out to finding the minimum number of denominations required to create a particular amount. To create any amount up to $15, I just need to have 4 coin types: 1, 2, 4, 8. Then I realized this problem is somehow related to the binary number system or the ##2^n## system.

"A dealer has 1000 one-dollar coins and 10 bags. He has to divide the coins over the ten bags, so that he can make any number of coins simply by handing over a few bags. How must divide his money into the ten bags?"

1. Homework Statement

a. Why is this issue related to the binary system or doubling successive amounts? Why, for example, is it not related ##3^n## or ##5^n##? Is it some how related to the nature of reality?
It has nothing to do with the nature of reality. As you mentioned, with four coin types of 1, 2, 4, and 8 units, we can make any number between 0 and 15 simply by including or not including one of the types. You never need more than one of the coin types to make up a number.

If the system were based on powers of 3 or powers of 5, you would need multiples of each of the coin types to get certain values. For example, to make 8, you would need two 3's and two 1's. With a binary system of coins all you need is one 8. With a system based on powers of 5, to get 8 you need one 5 and three 1's.

musicgold said:
b. Why do we almost never see $4 or $8 coins or bills in any society, even though they are the building blocks (as we saw above) to create any amount?
Most likely because we have 10 fingers, with 5 on each hand. That's the most reasonable rationale for why our money system has coins that are multples of 5 and 10.
musicgold said:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Thanks

Mark44 said:
If the system were based on powers of 3 or powers of 5, you would need multiples of each of the coin types to get certain values. For example, to make 8, you would need two 3's and two 1's.
To expand on that, using base 3 you would need 2 bags of 1, 2 bags of 3, 2 bags of 9... You would run out of bags at a total of 242 coins.
The question becomes, why is this less efficient?
It's to do with choice. In the binary scheme, there is a unique way of making each sum, whereas in the ternary we often have choices: to make 4 we have to choose one of the two 1 bags and one of the two 3 bags. Given 10 bags, there are only 1024 different subsets we can form. Having different subsets representing the same total is wasteful.

Likes musicgold

1. Why is the binary system used in scientific problems?

The binary system is used in scientific problems because it is a fundamental system of counting and representing numbers. It is based on the concept of using only two digits, 0 and 1, to represent all numbers. This makes it a simple and efficient system for calculations and data storage in many scientific fields.

2. How does the binary system work?

In the binary system, each digit represents a power of 2, starting from 1 on the right side. For example, the number 101 in binary represents (1 * 2^2) + (0 * 2^1) + (1 * 2^0) = 4 + 0 + 1 = 5 in decimal. This system allows for easy conversion between binary and decimal numbers.

3. What are the advantages of using the binary system?

The binary system has several advantages, including its simplicity and efficiency for calculations and data storage. It is also the basis for digital computing, making it essential in modern technology. Additionally, the binary system is used in many scientific fields, allowing for consistency and compatibility in data analysis and communication.

4. Can the binary system represent all numbers?

Yes, the binary system can represent all numbers by using a combination of 0s and 1s. However, it may require a larger number of digits compared to the decimal system. For example, the number 100 in decimal can be represented as 1100100 in binary.

5. Are there any limitations to the binary system?

One limitation of the binary system is that it can only represent numbers that are powers of 2. This can make it challenging to represent fractions or numbers with repeating decimals. However, these limitations can be overcome by using other number systems, such as the hexadecimal system, in conjunction with the binary system.