Multi-level extendable hammock posts

In summary, the post would be buried in concrete and have a quick release pin to change positions. It would be 2"x2"x8' and 2.5"x2.5" steel sleeve posts.
werrick
Hi folks,

I recently moved to a new house with a small backyard/patio. It's roughly 25ft x 25ft, mostly concrete bordered by an L-shaped Earth area. I'd like to place three hammock posts as shown in the first image.

We like to dream big and want these posts tall enough to support two hammocks per pair of posts. One side of the patio is fenced and faces the neighborhood. Due to HOA, we can't have our posts permanently visible over the fence, so I came up with the idea of a buried steel square post with a larger square post that fits over the top can slide up to a second position with a quick release pin. I tried to draw this in the second image.

I got a quote from a local steel yard for three 3"x3"x8' and three 3.5"x3.5"x5' posts for an unsurprising but hefty ~325$. What I'm trying to do is calculate whether I can accomplish the same setup safely with 2"x2" base steel posts and 2.5"x2.5" steel sleeve posts. I found some engineering calculator resources online but they are for column load, not transverse load. I also don't know how to calculate how much the beams should overlap and what kind of load limits the combined extended posts will have. Any suggestions?

*Forgot to mention that all tube thicknesses are 3/16 in.

Attachments

• hm1.png
    hm1.png
    804 bytes · Views: 540
  • hm2.png
    hm2.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 553
Physics news on Phys.org
Just out of curiosity, how do you plan to get in and out of the upper level of a double-decker hammock? I'm sure it's been done, but it seems to me like more of a pain than it could be worth.

We've done it before on camping trips. Definitely not as graceful an entry as the main level. The main benefit is having a hammock village with a bunch of pals.

1. What is a multi-level extendable hammock post?

A multi-level extendable hammock post is a type of support structure specifically designed for hammocks. It consists of multiple levels or tiers that can be adjusted to different heights, allowing the hammock to be set up at various levels off the ground. This feature makes it possible to use the hammock in different settings, such as on uneven terrain or in areas with limited space.

2. How does a multi-level extendable hammock post work?

The multi-level extendable hammock post typically has a sturdy base that can be secured to the ground, and then multiple telescoping poles that can be adjusted to different heights. The poles are connected with strong cables or ropes, and the hammock can be attached to these cables at different levels. This allows for flexible and customizable setup options for the hammock.

3. What are the benefits of using a multi-level extendable hammock post?

Using a multi-level extendable hammock post offers several benefits, including versatility, convenience, and improved comfort. The adjustable height feature allows for the hammock to be set up in various locations and on different terrains. It also makes it easier to find a comfortable position, as the hammock can be adjusted to the desired height. Additionally, the post can be easily taken down and transported, making it a convenient option for camping or other outdoor activities.

4. Are there any safety considerations when using a multi-level extendable hammock post?

Yes, it is important to ensure that the post is properly secured to the ground and that the hammock is attached securely to the poles and cables. It is also essential to follow the weight limit guidelines provided by the manufacturer and not exceed the recommended weight capacity. Regular maintenance and inspection of the post is also recommended to ensure its stability and safety.

5. Can a multi-level extendable hammock post be used with any type of hammock?

Most multi-level extendable hammock posts are designed to work with various types of hammocks, including traditional rope hammocks, fabric hammocks, and even camping hammocks. However, it is always best to check the specifications and weight limits of the post before using it with a specific type of hammock to ensure compatibility and safety.

Back