Multicollinearity and Interactions

In summary, multicollinearity and interactions are two separate concepts in multiple regression models. While multicollinearity refers to the correlation between independent variables, interactions refer to the decision to include an interaction term in the function being fitted to the data. Though they may both involve correlated variables, they do not necessarily always occur together.
fog37
TL;DR Summary
Multicollinearity and Interactions
Hello,

I understand the concept of multicollinearity: when dealing with a multiple regression model with two or more independent variables, some of the independent variables may be pairwise correlated. This does not affect the model in terms of its predictive results but it impacts the regression coefficients and how we interpret the various variables (IVs).

Multiplicative interaction terms can also be included in a linear regression model. Multicollinearity and interactions are disjoint in the sense that a model with interaction terms does not need to have multicollinearity and vice versa (interesting things probably happen when the interaction terms are multicollinear).

That said, in the case of multicollinearity, one independent variable ##X_1## affects the dependent variable ##Y## but another independent variable ##X_2## affect (is correlated) with the first independent variable ##X_1##. Isn't that similar to what interaction does? Interaction means that when one IV changes the dependent variable but there is another IV that changes the first IV...

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Terminology confusing: Independence implies no correlation.

Statistical analysis would usually treat the two situations the same way.

mathman said:
Terminology confusing: Independence implies no correlation.
In a multiple regression model, ##Y = a_0 +a_1 X_1 + a_2 X_2 + ... + a_n X_n + \epsilon##, the ##X_i##s are called the "independent variables" regardless of whether they are correlated. ##Y## is the dependent variable.

Last edited:
Independence (in probability theory) means no connection and implies no correlation. Your question seems to be about terminology - I am not familiar with the definitions of these terms as you are using them.

According to sources on the web ( including https://aarongullickson.github.io/stat_book/interaction-terms.html )
An interaction term is a variable that is constructed from two other variables by multiplying those two variables together.

With that definition, an interaction term results from a decision about the form of the function that is being fitted to data. This decision need not be based on a correlation between variables. By contrast the correlation (or lack of it) between variables in a model is usually inferred from the data, but does not necessarily cause us to introduce interaction terms (and convert a linear regression model to a nonlinear model).

An interesting (and presumably well studied) question: How should correlations between variables influence our decision about whether to introduce interaction terms in the function we are fitting to the data?

Likes FactChecker

1. What is multicollinearity?

Multicollinearity is a statistical phenomenon where two or more independent variables in a regression model are highly correlated with each other. This can lead to unstable and unreliable estimates of the coefficients of the variables.

2. How does multicollinearity affect my regression model?

Multicollinearity can lead to inflated standard errors, making it difficult to determine the true significance of the variables in the model. It can also result in misleading interpretations of the relationships between the independent variables and the dependent variable.

3. How can I detect multicollinearity in my data?

There are several methods for detecting multicollinearity, including calculating the variance inflation factor (VIF) for each variable, examining correlation matrices, and performing diagnostic tests such as the condition index or tolerance values. These methods can help identify which variables are highly correlated with each other.

4. What are interactions in a regression model?

Interactions occur when the relationship between two variables is not additive, meaning that the effect of one variable on the dependent variable depends on the level of another variable. This can be represented in a regression model by including interaction terms between the two variables.

5. How can I interpret interactions in my regression model?

Interactions can be challenging to interpret, as they involve considering the effect of one variable while holding another variable constant. It is important to plot the interaction effects to better understand the relationship between the variables and the dependent variable. Additionally, conducting hypothesis tests can help determine if the interaction term is significant in the model.