Multiple Tanks Concept: Changing Water Level Difference

In summary: Gravitational forces keep water in balance.In summary,The height difference is what is the relevant driver. The ratio of tank areas comes into play as well for the transient behavior.
pranta
Homework Statement
There are two interconnected tanks. Tank 1 having higher water level compare with Tank 2. The connecting pipe lowering the level to align the water level of two tanks and decrease the water level difference. Can you tell me why changing the connection pipe height can change the water level difference?
Relevant Equations
N/A
seeking help for clear concept

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand the problem, but I welcome you, @pranta ! :cool:

What do you think the answer could be, and why?

I want to know the mechanism why water level difference may influence by changing connection pipe level

Lnewqban said:
I don't understand the problem, but I welcome you, @pranta ! :cool:

What do you think the answer could be, and why?
yes both could be and why

pranta said:
Homework Statement: There are two interconnected tanks. Tank 1 having higher water level compare with Tank 2. The connecting pipe lowering the level to align the water level of two tanks and decrease the water level difference. Can you tell me why changing the connection pipe height can change the water level difference?
Relevant Equations: N/A

seeking help for clear concept

Can you provide a drawing? Because from how I understand it now the premise is false (the height of the connection pipe will not influence the ultimate height difference between the tanks, which will be zero unless one of the connection points 'runs dry'.

Arjan82 said:
Can you provide a drawing? Because from how I understand it now the premise is false (the height of the connection pipe will not influence the ultimate height difference between the tanks, which will be zero unless one of the connection points 'runs dry'.

Attachments

• IMG_0435.jpeg
    IMG_0435.jpeg
    8.2 KB · Views: 40
here is the picture connection pipe in middle of two tanks. how does it influence the changes of delta H?

pranta said:
here is the picture connection pipe in middle of two tanks. how does it influence the changes of delta H?
Its only has effect in the transient behavior.

so, connection pipe level fluctuations doesn’t affect the water level difference?

pranta said:
so, connection pipe level fluctuations doesn’t affect the water level difference?
Where you put the pipe and its size matter for the transient response i.e. how ##\delta h ## changes in time. There is going to be some decaying fluctuation curve that may have absolute differences ( but similar "shape" responses )

sorry to mention one more information, 1st tank from left side of picture has less volume size than the 2nd tank in right side. does it a factor?

pranta said:
sorry to mention one more information, 1st tank from left side of picture has less volume size than the 2nd tank in right side. does it a factor?
The height difference is what is the relevant driver. The ratio of tank areas comes into play as well for the transient behavior.

Are you trying to determine ##\delta h (t)## given an initial state (a closed valve in the pipe)? Or are you just trying to figure out at what height the system tends to (the steady state response)?

It seems that external water is coming into left tank and water is overflowing right tank?

Likes pranta
Lnewqban said:
It seems that external water is coming into left tank and water is overflowing right tank?
Thats a good point. What are those arrows indicating entering and exiting tank A and B. I may be jumping the gun on believing the OP is accurately describing "the actual system" given that diagram.

Likes Lnewqban
pranta said:
Homework Statement: There are two interconnected tanks. Tank 1 having higher water level compare with Tank 2. The connecting pipe lowering the level to align the water level of two tanks and decrease the water level difference. Can you tell me why changing the connection pipe height can change the water level difference?
Try putting the connecting pipe just below the level of the water shown for the tank on the left.

Likes Lnewqban and erobz
erobz said:
Are you trying to determine ##\delta h (t)## given an initial state (a closed valve in the pipe)? Or are you just trying to figure out at what height the system tends to (the steady state response)?

phinds said:
Try putting the connecting pipe just below the level of the water shown for the tank on the left.
phinds said:
do you think that the connection pipe level may affect the water level difference between two tanks?

there is no valve between two tanks

pranta said:
do you think that the connection pipe level may affect the water level difference between two tanks?
Clearly you did not understand what I said. Read it again.

phinds said:
Clearly you did not understand what I said. Read it again.
i didn’t understand. can you explain a bit more

pranta said:
there is no valve between two tanks
Then you aren't telling us the whole story. If there is no valve than this system is being maintained at these levels by an incoming flow on the left tank, and an outgoing flow in the right tank.

Likes Lnewqban and pranta
erobz said:
Then you aren't telling us the whole story. If there is no valve than this system is being maintained at these levels by an incoming flow on the left tank, and an outgoing flow in the right tank.
right just by gravitational flow

pranta said:
right just by gravitational flow
If the tanks are being maintained at the current levels what does that imply for the volumetric flowrate entering tank A and exiting tank B?

erobz said:
If the tanks are being maintained at the current levels what does that imply for the volumetric flowrate entering tank A and exiting tank B?
inflow rate in tank A is higher than the outflow rate in tank B

pranta said:
inflow rate in tank A is higher than the outflow rate in tank B
Is the volume of liquid in either tank changing over time?

Your septic tank needs pumping out : way too much grease.

• Haha
Likes Tom.G

1. What is the Multiple Tanks Concept?

The Multiple Tanks Concept is a method used to control the water level difference between two or more tanks. It involves adjusting the water level in one tank to maintain a desired difference in water level between that tank and another tank.

2. How does the Multiple Tanks Concept work?

The Multiple Tanks Concept works by using a valve or pump to control the flow of water between two tanks. By adjusting the flow rate, the water level in one tank can be controlled to maintain a desired difference in water level between the two tanks.

3. What are the benefits of using the Multiple Tanks Concept?

The Multiple Tanks Concept can help to regulate water levels in tanks that are connected in a system. This can reduce the risk of overflowing or running out of water in one tank, and can also help to maintain consistent water levels for processes that require a specific level of water.

4. What factors should be considered when implementing the Multiple Tanks Concept?

When implementing the Multiple Tanks Concept, it is important to consider the size and capacity of the tanks, the desired water level difference, and the flow rate and control system that will be used. It is also important to regularly monitor and maintain the system to ensure it is functioning properly.

5. Are there any limitations to the Multiple Tanks Concept?

One limitation of the Multiple Tanks Concept is that it requires a constant flow of water between the tanks, which can increase energy and maintenance costs. It is also important to consider the potential for leaks or malfunctions in the system, which can lead to imbalances in water levels between tanks.