What Are the Best Multivariable Calculus Books for IPhO Preparation?

In summary, this book is written by experts for experts, and it is very hard to find a book that covers vector calculus that is balanced and emphasizes physical intuitions.
Mateus Buarque
Hi guys, i´m pretty well in calculus 1 and i´m studying for the International Physics Olympiad. So I´d like to know some multivariable calculus books that cover vector calc too, are balanced (proofs are welcome) and emphasizes physical intuitions. Thank you already!

Physics news on Phys.org
Marsden and Tromba: Vector Calculus.

Thanks, but it has pretty bad reviews on amazon, do you know why?

It is very hard to answer the question "why does an outstanding book that was written by great experts receive poor reviews from anonymous possibly clueless users". I read some of those to make an attempt. The best i can do is refer you to the very fair and insightful review by Jonathon DiTroia on this amazon page, written for the 5th edition (2003?):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0716749920/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Another factor is that there are several different books by these same authors, as the book went through several revisions attempting to clarify, i.e. dumb down, a book that was originally written for Berkeley students. I taught from the 1981 edition to some strong high school students and got a range of reactions. Those students who really didn't enjoy math and were more or less forced into the course to get a star on their records hated it, while those students who went on to get PhD's in physics and math liked it fine.

In my own case I sometimes wonder why I get horrible teaching reviews in one setting and great ones in another. I did notice that I tended to get great ones primarily from honors classes and horrible ones primarily from non honors classes. Maybe that is going on in this case. I.e. this book was written for honors students at an elite school. I must say though that the most recent edition, maybe 2011 or so, looks pretty dumbed down to me. It was the only one I could review online at amazon, and even that only the first few unessential chapters. I did not myself like their treatment, but I remember it being rather better 30 years ago in the 1981 edition.

the only thing to do is for you to actually look at the book and decide for yourself whether it speaks to you or not. Maybe go to a college library and sit in the advanced calculus section until you find one on the shelf that you like. You might even like Courant, vol. 2. Another good old book with applied point of view is the early editions of Thomas, Calculus and Analytic Geometry, but not any new version. Get one back from the 1950's.

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Se...sortby=17&sts=t&tn=calculus&yrh=1965&yrl=1950

this covers one and several variables i think.

Last edited:

1. What is Multivariable Calc for IPhO?

Multivariable Calc for IPhO (International Physics Olympiad) is a branch of calculus that deals with functions of multiple variables, such as three-dimensional space. It is a fundamental tool in physics, as it allows for the analysis of complex systems that cannot be described with single variable functions.

2. What are some applications of Multivariable Calc in physics?

Multivariable Calc is used in a wide range of physics topics, including classical mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics. It is essential for understanding the behavior of particles in three-dimensional space, the electric and magnetic fields in space, and the thermodynamic properties of systems with multiple variables.

3. What are some key concepts covered in Multivariable Calc for IPhO?

The key concepts in Multivariable Calc for IPhO include partial derivatives, multiple integrals, vector calculus, and differential equations. These concepts are used to solve problems involving functions of multiple variables, such as finding maximum or minimum values, calculating flux and work, and modeling physical systems.

4. How does Multivariable Calc differ from single variable calculus?

Multivariable Calc differs from single variable calculus in that it deals with functions of multiple variables, which require more complex techniques and calculations. It also introduces the concept of vector calculus, which is not present in single variable calculus. Additionally, problems in Multivariable Calc may involve visualizing and working in three-dimensional space, which is not typically encountered in single variable calculus.

5. How can I prepare for Multivariable Calc for IPhO?

To prepare for Multivariable Calc for IPhO, it is important to have a strong foundation in single variable calculus and linear algebra. It is also helpful to practice solving problems involving multiple variables and visualizing three-dimensional space. Additionally, studying past IPhO problems and participating in math and physics competitions can help improve problem-solving skills in Multivariable Calc.