Munkres-Analysis on Manifolds: Theorem 20.1

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof in section 20 of the book "Analysis on Manifolds" by Munkres. The proof shows that for a linear transformation h:R^n->R^n, the volume of the image of a rectifiable set S is equal to the absolute value of the determinant of the matrix A times the volume of S. The author considers the cases of A being non-singular and singular, and uses the concept of boundedness and measure to prove the theorem. The conversation also includes a discussion on the level of training required to understand the material in the book.
Bill2500
Hello. I am studying Analysis on Manifolds by Munkres. I have a problem with a proof in section 20. It states that:

Let A be an n by n matrix. Let h:R^n->R^n be the linear transformation h(x)=A x. Let S be a rectifiable set (the boundary of S BdS has measure 0) in R^n. Then v(h(S))=|detA|v(S) (v=volume).

The author starts his proof by considering tha case of A being a non-singular matrix (invertible).
I think I understand his steps in that case (I basically had to prove that h(intS)=int h(S) and h(S) is rectifiable, if anybody knows a way this statements are proven autumatically please tell me).

He proceeds by considering the case where A is singular, so detA=0. He tries to show now that v(T)=0. He states that since S is bounded so is h(S) (I think that's true because |h(x)-h(a)|<=n|A|*|x-a| for each x in S and fixed a in S, if there is again a better explanation please tell me).

Then he says that h(R^n)=V with dimV=p<n and that V has measure 0 (for each ε>0 it can be covered by countably many open rectangles of total volume less than ε), a statemant that I have no clue how to prove. Then he says that the closure of h(S)=cl h(S) is closed and bounded and has neasure 0 (of course cl h(S) is closed but why is it bounded with measure 0?). Then makes an addition step (which I understand) and proves the theorem for that case too.

Cound someone help me clarify the points of the proof that I don't understand? Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
try showing that the x-axis in R^2 can be covered by a sequence of rectangles of total area < 1. e.g. take them all of base 1, and make the height of the one whose base goes from n to n+1 something like 1/2^(n+2). or whatever works.

by the way have you had a calculus course at the level of spivak? i ask because it seems this analysis on manifolds course is a little beyond your training. of course one can always catch up in time.

You have a linear transformation between finitedimensional spaces. Such transformation is always continuous, or equivalently, bounded. This explains the boundedness part in your question.

mathwonk said:
try showing that the x-axis in R^2 can be covered by a sequence of rectangles of total area < 1. e.g. take them all of base 1, and make the height of the one whose base goes from n to n+1 something like 1/2^(n+2). or whatever works.

by the way have you had a calculus course at the level of spivak? i ask because it seems this analysis on manifolds course is a little beyond your training. of course one can always catch up in time.
I have had a course in one variable at a level a bit higher than Spivak and a (slightly less rigorous) course in multivariable course. I am studying this book to proceed to Spivak's Differential Geometry books but I am having second thoughts. Seeing how much topology Munkres' proofs have I am thinking of studying his topology book instead.

Math_QED said:
You have a linear transformation between finitedimensional spaces. Such transformation is always continuous, or equivalently, bounded. This explains the boundedness part in your question.
I thought boundedness is something I can claim for a range if I have fa compact domain.

for a linear transformation T the meaning of "bounded" is that the image of the unit sphere is a bounded set. equivalently there is a finite bound C such that for every vector v we have |Tv| ≤ C|v|, where | | denotes the length of a vector

Likes Bill2500

1. What is Theorem 20.1 in Munkres-Analysis on Manifolds?

Theorem 20.1 states that if a function is continuously differentiable on an open subset of a manifold, then the set of points where the derivative is equal to zero is a closed subset of the manifold.

2. How does Theorem 20.1 relate to the concept of manifolds?

Theorem 20.1 is an important result in the field of differential geometry, which studies the properties of smooth manifolds. This theorem specifically addresses the behavior of continuously differentiable functions on manifolds.

3. What does it mean for a set to be closed in a manifold?

A closed set in a manifold is a subset of the manifold that contains all of its boundary points. In other words, every point on the boundary of the set is also contained within the set itself.

4. Can Theorem 20.1 be applied to functions on any type of manifold?

Yes, Theorem 20.1 applies to any type of manifold, as long as the function is continuously differentiable on an open subset of that manifold. This includes both smooth and non-smooth manifolds.

5. How can Theorem 20.1 be used in practical applications?

Theorem 20.1 is a useful tool in analyzing the behavior of functions on manifolds, particularly in optimization problems. It can help identify critical points where the derivative is equal to zero, which can be used to find maxima or minima of the function.