Muon detecting with smarthpones -- need open source code....

In summary: I have not done any experiments, but I am familiar with the OpenCV library. I have also looked into using a cloud chamber, but I am not sure if it is a good option.
ghalimoglu
hi everyone,
nowadays i am working on muon detecting but i need something cheap.
i saw on the internet some people are using their smartphone as a detector with sensor or phones cameras. is there anyone can share their code ?
there are some samples but they don't share their code.. only can use the program..
i need to develop something for myself.
thank you...

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you asked them, or searched in github and/or google code?

I have always thought there was to strategies here: either look for CCD excitation, or look for self-correction events in RAM memory. Unfortunately the later is not available to software.

Likes ghalimoglu
yeah! I've asked them but no one wants to share their project.
thank you i will be seraching about CCD excitation and self -corr. in RAM
and also what do you think which is easier to develop this kind of programs... swift or java ?
cuz i have no idea about self corr. ram and ccd

Independent of the software question (no idea, sorry), I would expect that most visible events are gamma or beta rays, with just a small fraction of muons.

Likes ghalimoglu
mfb said:
Independent of the software question (no idea, sorry), I would expect that most visible events are gamma or beta rays, with just a small fraction of muons.

no problem (about ques.)
but, what do you want to say with small fraction of muons ?

The smartphone camera will also react to radioactivity, most of the time the camera sees something it is probably a radioactive decay nearby.

youre right.
so i need sth like coincedence... and
maybe two cameras ?

That sounds challenging. The slow readout doesn't help either.
Phones can have two cameras but those are too close and probably with a bad relative orientation.

What is the original project idea and scope?

:)) muon detectors with a the mobile?

@mfb
yeahh deco and also a german compony made this kind of app. but no one gives the source code.
@crhisVer
why not ?
even you can observe with cloud chember ( such a simple thng)

A cloud chamber is a 3-dimensional detector, which makes things much easier.

I don't image the source code would be terribly complicated, the detection is done in the hardware isn't it? From what I understand the system works like this:
Place something thin over the camera, preventing light from penetrating but allowing higher energy particles to pass through. They hit the CCD and from there the camera thinks it's detecting light. So a good guess is that the software turns the camera on and leaves the CCD on, maybe checking the buffer every few milliseconds for anything other than a black image. When it detects something, then there may be some sort of algorithm that determines if it's a muon or another type of high energy particle, but the capture part seems very simple.

Muons pass through buildings easily, some muons even pass through kilometers of rock.
You have to shield the phone from light very well, if you find some material with low radioactivity this can also serve as radiation shielding. Muons will still pass through.

@newjerseyrunner
yeah youre right algorithym is true but there are some tricks.. should know the tricks..
i cat handle with all progrraming languages. i only know phyton litle bit. because of this i am saying that i have to find a code and i should edit.
@mfb
i think there is no way to protect sensors or phone from muons with homemade materials.
they protect the tubes (geiger) with alleminuim from radioactivy. thank you all of you friends.
if i find a source code make sure i ll share.

There is no way to shield from muons with anything apart from mountains (and there are no home-made mountains), but that was never the purpose, right? Shielding against radioactivity of the environment would help.

we are saying same things but both ones are not the solution :)
thank you for responses.

Hi Ghalimoglu,
i'm also trying to detect muons (or other radiations) with the smartphone.
I've done some test with OpenCV library in Java on a Samsung S2 mobile telephone, but with no success : i record an image when at least one of the pixel has a value of R,G,B component different from zero (obviously before i cover the camera with a black tape).
But all the images are completely black even if R,G,B values are higher than zero.. (note that with normal lights images that i record are good and fits the picture I'm acquiring).

Have you done some exepriments ?
Happy if we can share information !

1. How can smartphones be used for muon detection?

Smartphones can be used for muon detection by utilizing their built-in camera sensors. Muons are high-energy particles that are constantly bombarding the Earth's surface, and when they collide with atoms in the atmosphere, they create a cascade of particles that can be detected by the camera sensors in smartphones.

2. What is the advantage of using smartphones for muon detection?

The advantage of using smartphones for muon detection is that they are widely available and relatively inexpensive compared to traditional muon detectors. This allows for a larger network of detectors and the potential for citizen science projects.

3. Is there open source code available for muon detection with smartphones?

Yes, there is open source code available for muon detection with smartphones. One example is the "Muon Hunter" app developed by the University of Chicago, which is available for both iOS and Android devices.

4. Can smartphones accurately detect muons?

While smartphones may not be as accurate as traditional muon detectors, they can still provide valuable data for research purposes. The accuracy of the detection depends on the quality and sensitivity of the camera sensor in the smartphone.

5. How can I get involved in muon detection with smartphones?

If you are interested in getting involved in muon detection with smartphones, you can download a muon detection app and contribute data to ongoing research projects. You can also join online communities or workshops to learn more about the science behind muon detection and how to analyze the data collected by your smartphone.