Muon-Enhanced Atoms: Fusion Efficiencies Explored

In summary, heavy atoms have electrons that move at relativistic speeds, resulting in smaller atomic radii. Replacing an electron with a muon in a heavy atom can further decrease the atomic radius and increase the relativistic half life. However, fusion with smaller atoms may not necessarily be more efficient and the use of muons in power plants is not feasible due to the high energy cost of producing them. Additionally, while relativistic effects do cause the inner orbitals to shrink, adding a muon to an existing atom can have a different effect on the atomic radius.
Garlic
Gold Member
Hello everyone,
I know that electrons in heavy atoms move at relativistic speeds, resulting in heavier electrons and smaller radius.
If we replace an electron in a heavy atom with a muon, the muon would move to the center (occupying the lowest energy state possible), and making the radius of the atom smaller (similar to the behavior of lambda baryons in a hypernucleus). Since the muon would move at relativistic speeds, the relativistic half life would be longer.
I have read somewhere that fusion with atoms that have smaller radii is more efficient, so wouldn't this method be efficient?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bound electrons and muons do not "move" in the usual sense. Their wave function is constant in time.

The binding reduces the available energy for the decay, which changes the phase space. In addition, those atoms can do muon capture (similar to electron capture, but with much more energy available). That means the lifetime can go down instead of up, see aluminium for example.

An additional muon in the center reduces the effective charge and increases the size of the other electron orbitals.
Garlic said:
I have read somewhere that fusion with atoms that have smaller radii is more efficient
"I have read somewhere" is not a useful source. And what does "more efficient" mean? Also, atoms or nuclei?

There is muon-catalyzed fusion of hydrogen (with just one charge you don't have other electrons hanging around). It works, and a muon can catalyze on average up to ~100 H2 molecules until it sticks to a produced helium nucleus and gets lost. That is not enough to be used in a power plant, producing the muon costs too much energy.

Likes mheslep and Garlic
I understand.

mfb said:
Bound electrons and muons do not "move" in the usual sense. Their wave function is constant in time.
Doesn't the bohr radius get smaller in relativistic atoms because the electrons have higher relativistic masses?
Quote from wikipedia -relativistic quantum chemistry- "For gold with (Z = 79) the 1s electron will be going (α = 0.58c) 58% of the speed of light. Plugging this in for v/c for the relativistic mass one finds that mrel = 1.22me and in turn putting this in for the Bohr radius above one finds that the radius shrinks by 22%."

Don't muons experience time even when they are delocalised? If they aren't, they wouldn't be decaying.

Where am I wrong?

Garlic said:
Doesn't the bohr radius get smaller in relativistic atoms because the electrons have higher relativistic masses?
The inner orbitals shrink due to relativistic effects (relative to a world without special relativity), but that's not the situation you asked about here. You add a muon to an existing atom.

I am sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by "relative to a world without special relativity".

Well, what does "the radius decreases" mean? Decreases relative to what? It was never larger in our world. The radius would be larger if there would be no relativistic effects. But there are.

Likes Garlic

1. What are muon-enhanced atoms?

Muon-enhanced atoms are atoms that have been modified by inserting a muon, which is a type of subatomic particle, into the atom's electron cloud. This modification changes the behavior and properties of the atom, making it more reactive and potentially able to undergo fusion reactions.

2. How are muon-enhanced atoms created?

Muon-enhanced atoms are created through a process called muon catalyzed fusion. In this process, a beam of muons is directed at a gas containing hydrogen atoms. The muons are then captured by the hydrogen atoms, forming muon-enhanced atoms.

3. What is the purpose of studying muon-enhanced atoms?

The purpose of studying muon-enhanced atoms is to explore their potential for increasing fusion efficiencies, which could have significant implications for energy production. By understanding how muon-enhanced atoms behave and react, we can potentially develop new methods for achieving fusion reactions at lower temperatures and pressures.

4. What is the role of muons in fusion reactions?

Muons play a key role in fusion reactions by decreasing the distance between atoms, which reduces the amount of energy needed to overcome the repulsive forces between positively charged nuclei. This makes it easier for fusion reactions to occur, potentially increasing the efficiency of the reaction.

5. What are the challenges in studying muon-enhanced atoms?

One of the main challenges in studying muon-enhanced atoms is that muons have a very short lifespan, lasting only 2.2 microseconds. This makes it difficult to observe their behavior and reactions in real time. Additionally, muons are also difficult and expensive to produce, limiting the availability of muon-enhanced atoms for research purposes.