Music for Focusing on Physics: What Are Your Go-To Tracks?

• Thread starter houlahound
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, Classical music is often used to help people focus and tune out other noises, while popular Germanic music is often used to help people focus while they are working or running.
houlahound
What music helps you tune out everything else except whatever physics you are working on?

Give a brief description. Some of mine are;

Animals as leaders - a djent metal fusion 3 piece with no bass player (as far as I can tell). They play weird time signatures and no vocals. Extremely talented musicians.

Maria Callas - old school opera; soprano.

Art Tatum - piano jazz.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nidum said:
You might like this version;

That's quite horrible - but thanks for posting .

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
I recall doing homework listening to Old Pink Floyd psychedelia, like: A Saucerful of Secrets, Set the Controls to the Heart of the Sun, etc. The music is relaxing and seemed to induce abstract thinking. True "physics rock", if there was ever such a thing.

Likes dlgoff
There is such a thing indeed.

underground hip hop/hip hop with jazz influence.

I'm more of a math student, but these would equally apply when I'm studying physics. Mostly, I like listening to classical music while I'm studying.

Mozart is a favorite of mine; some of his solo piano works can be dry, but his symphonies and concertos are excellent study music.

Lately, though, I've been listening to a lot of Hall & Oates both when studying and when I go running. It's addictively catchy.

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045 and houlahound

Stellar.

Likes Stella.Physics and QuantumQuest
Depending on my mood, I like Bach, Mozart, or Beethoven, or else some popular Germanic music from the present day. Here's an example of the latter.

Here's another example. I could give hundreds more.

:smile:

For pure instrumental music, I enjoy Klaus Wunderlich and Richard Clayderman, although the latter causes my mind to wander sometimes. I also like Kitaro, in particular his music for Queen Millennia.

Just recently I've found that if I really need a jolt it's good to listen to Rammstein. This is just for waking up, not for concentrating.

I just remembered an interesting passage from the novel 2001: A Space Odyssey. After Dave Bowman is left alone on the Discovery One, he listens to various types of music. He settles on Bach.

Last edited by a moderator:
I typically listen to white noise exclusively when studying anything like math or physics but I like downtempo instrumental hip hop whenever I don't want to listen to TV static.

1. What is a physics soundtrack?

A physics soundtrack is a collection of songs or sounds that are used to represent different concepts and principles in physics. It can be used as a teaching tool or for personal enjoyment.

2. How is a physics soundtrack different from a regular soundtrack?

A physics soundtrack is specifically curated to represent concepts and principles in physics, whereas a regular soundtrack is a collection of songs that may or may not have a specific theme or purpose.

3. Can a physics soundtrack help me learn physics?

Yes, a physics soundtrack can be a helpful learning tool as it uses music and sounds to represent concepts, making them more engaging and easier to remember.

4. Are there specific songs or sounds that are commonly included in a physics soundtrack?

Yes, there are certain songs or sounds that are commonly associated with physics concepts, such as the sound of a pendulum for oscillation or the song "The Sound of Silence" for the concept of sound waves.

5. How can I create my own physics soundtrack?

You can create your own physics soundtrack by first identifying the concepts and principles you want to represent and then finding songs or sounds that match those concepts. You can also get inspiration from existing physics soundtracks or consult with a physics teacher for suggestions.