Music to Lift Your Soul: 4 Genres & Honorable Mention

• Music
  • Thread starter Hornbein
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lift Music
In summary, the classical genre is very popular, with four pieces represented. The best music ever is classical, with JS Bach's "Air On A G String" standing out. Hard rock is also popular, with Fit For Rivals and your Worst Mistake being two examples. Country is another genre that is well-represented, with Jed Zeppelin and Merle Haggard being particularly popular. And finally, there is some great fusion music represented, with Cartoon Theory's "Wizardry Mind" and 826aska's "A Whole New World" being particular favorites.
These songs get me going when I am warming up to play basketball.

These songs lift my soles:

BABYMETAL - KARATE (OFFICIAL)
【MV】DEADLIFT LOLITA「Pump Up JAPAN」【筋肉】

Science news on Phys.org
Country. Angelic voices are uplifting.

Classical: Brahms.

difalcojr said:
Classical: Brahms.

Test your sight reading too!

I do not know how Wagner's "Entry of the Gods into Valhalla" was missed. Making a promise in the beginning and keeping it at the end.

Likes difalcojr
gleem said:
I do not know how Wagner's "Entry of the Gods into Valhalla" was missed. Making a promise in the beginning and keeping it at the end.

Beautiful. IMHO, Wagner's use of the many horns in all his compositions, to evoke such emotion and energy in listeners, is just unsurpassed.

gleem said:
Or this one. Prokofiev, Symphony No.1, Gavotte. Also in Romeo & Juliet ballet.

Likes pinball1970

Likes pinball1970 and difalcojr
A live version of Sunny

Likes difalcojr

• Love
Likes Astronuc and pinball1970

Likes difalcojr

Is this the da-da-Da-da-da-Da Genre ?

(Feb 16, 2024) “Some Assembly Required”, by Jason Becker & Friends

JASON BECKER & FRIENDS - NITA MESSAGE

• Wow

robphy said:
(Feb 16, 2024) “Some Assembly Required”, by Jason Becker & Friends

JASON BECKER & FRIENDS - NITA MESSAGE

Way too shredacious for me. Here's some shredding I like. To me the late Shawn Lane remains the King of Shred.

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970
Chick Corea's Return to Forever with Al Di Meola (and his rapid guitar picking) and Stanley Clarke on bass
Album - Romantic Warrior, Tune - Duel of the Jester and the Tyrant ((Pt. 1 & Pt. 2) - funked up

• Love
Likes pinball1970

Likes pinball1970
Mum had an album called "Good morning America," this track was on it. She died with little fanfare in January so I did an RIP. Beautiful girl and passionate music, there is a nice live version on YT. I was actually disappointed hearing the stones version with her version in mind.

Anyway... Melanie, Ruby Tuesday

• Love
Likes Astronuc, strangerep and difalcojr
pinball1970 said:
I was actually disappointed hearing the stones version with her version in mind.
Anyway... Melanie, Ruby Tuesday
Much as I like Melanie, I prefer the Stone's version. I find Melanie's version a bit too tortured... :oldfrown:

It's strange how sad songs can "lift one's soul", at least for me. Maybe my brain is just wired wrong.

Speaking of sad songs which nevertheless make me feel better,... in the studio version of Joan Baez's

what instrument is being used for those ultrafast trills near the start (around 0:18). They sound too fast for a normal keyboard. Maybe a Glockenspiel?

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970
Just curious... how do people here feel about "Emerald Princess" by Two Steps from Hell, which (I gather) can be a bit polarizing? I came across it recently by accident in the following video, which is a montage from LotR even though "Emerald Princess" is not part of the LotR soundtrack. Despite this incongruence, I kinda like it.

Mike Oldfield, Tubular Bells, May 1973

Still a great album. One can skip 37-42 minutes, which is some weird caveman type growling, and after 47:12, it's kind of a funky ending to a fairly mellow piece between 42 and 47 minutes.

Likes pinball1970 and strangerep
Astronuc said:
[Tubular Bells]... Still a great album.
I never get tired of it. It's fascinating to watch young youtubers reacting to it, initially not knowing quite what to make of it, and then you see the magic gradually penetrating their soul...

Btw, I mentioned this remastered+improved version recently:

Much higher quality, plus extra little fairydust sprinklings in random places...

My only complaint about TB Pt1 is that the final all-in exultation should be repeated for a few more rounds. It ends too quickly and that makes me sad again.

How do you feel about Incantations? I love the "Diana, Luna, Lucina" segment:

but I'm not so keen on his Hiawatha stuff, except maybe near the end.

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970 and Astronuc
strangerep said:
what instrument is being used for those ultrafast trills near the start (around 0:18). They sound to fast for a normal keyboard. Maybe a Glockenspiel
Its an organ/key board. Not sure what setting.

strangerep said:
Much as I like Melanie, I prefer the Stone's version. I find Melanie's version a bit too tortured... :oldfrown:

It's strange how sad songs can "lift one's soul", at least for me. Maybe my brain is just wired wrong.

Speaking of sad songs which nevertheless make me feel better,... in the studio version of Joan Baez's
It almost seemed like Melanie actually knew "Ruby Tuesday" (model Linda Keith), and it was a sad eulogy of a sort for a friend, she sang it with such energy.

Don't think it makes any difference of happy vs. sad songs. Sad songs can be inspirational for me too. Joni Mitchell's sad song "For Free" makes my eyes well up, involuntarily, every time I hear it, and has done this over many years. Something about the sound of her voice just triggers strong emotion, and it's just that one song of hers that does it. "Pilgrim's Chorus" from Wagner does it too, among others.

Likes strangerep
pinball1970 said:
[Diamonds & Rust...] Its an organ/key board. Not sure what setting.
Thanks.

I have another instrument question: Near the start of

at 0:19 there's a brief sound like a rocket launching, just before the thumping bass line drops. What's the instrument producing the rocket-launch sound? Synth? Electric Guitar?

Last edited:
strangerep said:
What's the instrument producing the rocket-launch sound? Synth? Electric Guitar
Synth, a couple of sounds in there. A stack of names for those sounds. I would need my mates key board to see which is closest. If it's Ga ga a decent/expensive one!

Back