How Do You Calculate Mutual Inductance in Toroidal Solenoids?

In summary, the mutual inductance of the two toroidal solenoids is greater than the mutual inductance of the two linear solenoids.
HelpPlease27

Homework Statement

A toroidal solenoid with mean radius r and cross-sectional area A is wound uniformly with N1 turns. A second toroidal solenoid with N2 turns is wound uniformly on top of the first, so that the two solenoids have the same cross-sectional area and mean radius.
What is the mutual inductance of the two solenoids? Assume that the magnetic field of the first solenoid is uniform across the cross section of the two solenoids.
Express your answer in terms of the variables N1, N2, A, r, magnetic constant μ0 and others appropriate constants.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

M = μ0⋅N1⋅N2⋅A this is what I have so far and I know that I need to include the r in the equation somewhere but not really sure where or why. Could somebody please explain. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

Could you show your work ? There seems to be a dimension missing in your M

BvU said:
Hi,

Could you show your work ? There seems to be a dimension missing in your M

I just used the equation $$M = u_0*A*N_1*N_2/l$$ So I assume its the l I'm missing but how does it correspond to r

Attachments

• upload_2016-11-24_14-11-27.png
    upload_2016-11-24_14-11-27.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 505
HelpPlease27 said:
I just used the equation $$M = u_0*A*N_1*N_2/l$$ So I assume its the l I'm missing but how does it correspond to r
If the coils were linear then l would be the length of the coils, right? If that length were bent into a circle...

gneill said:
If the coils were linear then l would be the length of the coils, right? If that length were bent into a circle...

I'm not sure

Check these coursenotes ( ©2004 Sen-ben Liao, Peter Dourmashkin, and John Belcher, MIT)
In particular (11.2.6) and (11.2.12) . If you confirm for yourself they are equivalent, M follows from (11.2.14)

HelpPlease27 said:
I'm not sure
If you take a line of length L and bend it to form a circle, can you find the radius of that circle?

gneill said:
If you take a line of length L and bend it to form a circle, can you find the radius of that circle?

Is l not the length of the coil with the turns already in it?

HelpPlease27 said:
Is l not the length of the coil with the turns already in it?
You're not given the length, you're given the radius r. Your answer should be put in terms of the given variables.

gneill said:
You're not given the length, you're given the radius r. Your answer should be put in terms of the given variables.

Yes, so I need to convert l into r

HelpPlease27 said:
Yes, so I need to convert l into r
Yes.

gneill said:
Yes.

I don't know how to

If you take a circle of radius r and cut it at one point and straighten it out into a line segment, how long is that line segment?

gneill said:
If you take a circle of radius r and cut it at one point and straighten it out into a line segment, how long is that line segment?

2*pi*r

HelpPlease27 said:
2*pi*r
Yes!

So l = 2*pi*r

HelpPlease27 said:
So l = 2*pi*r
Yes.

gneill said:
Yes.

Thank you, got it now

What is the Mutual Inductance Equation?

The Mutual Inductance Equation, also known as the Induction Law, is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between two nearby conductors, in which a changing current in one conductor produces an electromotive force (EMF) in the other conductor.

How is the Mutual Inductance Equation calculated?

The Mutual Inductance Equation is calculated by taking the ratio of the induced EMF to the rate of change of current in the first conductor, and multiplying it by the number of turns in the second conductor. This can be expressed as M = NΦ/ΔI, where M is the mutual inductance, N is the number of turns in the second conductor, Φ is the magnetic flux, and ΔI is the change in current in the first conductor.

What is the significance of the Mutual Inductance Equation in electrical engineering?

The Mutual Inductance Equation is a fundamental equation in the field of electrical engineering, as it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in a variety of systems. It is used in the design and analysis of transformers, motors, generators, and other devices that utilize electromagnetic fields.

How does the Mutual Inductance Equation relate to Faraday's Law?

The Mutual Inductance Equation is derived from Faraday's Law of Induction, which states that the induced EMF in a conductor is directly proportional to the rate of change of magnetic flux through the conductor. The Mutual Inductance Equation extends this concept to two nearby conductors, showing how the changing current in one conductor can produce an induced EMF in the other conductor.

What are some real-world applications of the Mutual Inductance Equation?

The Mutual Inductance Equation has numerous practical applications, including in the design of power transmission systems, electronic circuits, and medical devices such as MRI machines. It is also used in the measurement and testing of electrical components and systems.