My 3D modeling skill progression from 2018 to 2020

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Nvidia CUDA calculation for rendering, with each frame taking roughly one minute. The same PC was used for both renders. The earlier drawing was praised for its texture, while the current one was praised for its detail. The speaker is currently rigging the current drawing and plans to add textures soon. They have also been exploring other features of Blender, such as using the physics engine for animation and creating animation effects using "rigid body constraints." The conversation also mentions an example of using cell fracture and a force field to simulate a massive compact object punching through an asteroid. The physics engine is shown to have a piece of debris trapped in an orbit around the collider after the collision. The speaker also notes that the
ElliotSmith
2.JPG

Science news on Phys.org
Nice. Can you say a bit about how long each took to render, and did you use the same PC for both?

Likes ElliotSmith
berkeman said:
Nice. Can you say a bit about how long each took to render, and did you use the same PC for both?

I use Nvidia CUDA calculation, so each frame takes about ~1 minute to render, maybe more, maybe less, depending on my render settings..

And yes, I used the same PC for both renders.

Nice! I like the texture used on the earlier drawing, but the detail is better on the current one.

Likes ElliotSmith
Mark44 said:
Nice! I like the texture used on the earlier drawing, but the detail is better on the current one.

I'm currently in the process of rigging it.

The textures will come later, but soon.

Good work.
As of late, I've been exploring other features of Blender, such as using the Physics engine for animation.
An example is using Cell fracture, and a force field attached to an object to simulate a massive compact object (quantum black hole?) punching through an asteroid.
Note how the physics engine has a a piece of the asteroid debris trapped in an orbit around the collider as it leaves the collision.
asteroid_BH.gif

I've also been experimenting with using "rigid body constraints" to create animation effects that would be very tricky to achieve otherwise.

Also, in this enlargement from the frame right before contact, you can see that the asteroid was starting to show some distortion by tidal forces even before the collision takes place. The collider is shown as a line as I used motion blur in this render.
precollision.png

Likes ElliotSmith

1. How did your 3D modeling skills progress from 2018 to 2020?

Over the past two years, my 3D modeling skills have significantly improved. I have dedicated a lot of time and effort into learning new techniques, software, and tools to enhance my skills.

2. What specific areas of 3D modeling did you focus on during this time?

I focused on improving my skills in various areas such as modeling, texturing, lighting, and rendering. I also spent a lot of time learning about different software programs, including Maya, Blender, and Cinema 4D.

3. Did you face any challenges while progressing in your 3D modeling skills?

Yes, I faced some challenges along the way, such as learning new software and techniques, troubleshooting technical issues, and managing time effectively. However, these challenges helped me grow and become a better 3D modeler.

4. How did you track your progress in 3D modeling during this time?

I regularly documented my progress by creating before and after renders of my work, keeping a portfolio of my projects, and seeking feedback from other 3D artists. I also set specific goals for myself to achieve within a certain timeframe.

5. What are your future plans for improving your 3D modeling skills?

I plan to continue learning and expanding my skills in 3D modeling. I also hope to collaborate with other artists and work on more challenging projects to further enhance my skills. Additionally, I will stay updated on new software and techniques in the industry to continuously improve my abilities.