My Brother's Chicken Pox - How Can We Help?

• Thread starter mcknia07
  • Start date
In summary: For people with a weakened immune system, such as chemotherapy patients or those with AIDS, it is important to see a doctor for a second opinion before taking any medications.Well, my brother (21 years old) just found out he has the chicken pox. I had them when I was younger, so I have a less likely chance at getting them again. I don't want to go on vacation without him. I did get some oatmeal bath stuff, it worked for me, when I was younger.I'd be concerned about his contagiousness and those that he would come in contact with on your travels. If airplane travel is involved, close quarters and all, I'd advise against it for the sake of those that might
mcknia07
Well, my brother (21 years old), just found out he has the chicken pox for the first time. I had them when I was younger, so I have a less likely chance at getting them again.

Is there anything that you can suggest that can help cure them quicker. The doctor did put him on one medicine, but we are planning on going to Cali in a day, so I want him to be able to go, even if he still kinda has them. I don't want to go on vacation without him. I did get some oatmeal bath stuff, it worked for me, when I was younger.

Physics news on Phys.org
Aveeno oatmeal. And no holidays. You/he need/s to take this a little more seriously than if he were getting it as a kid.

Last edited:
mcknia07 said:
Well, my brother (21 years old), just found out he has the chicken pox for the first time. I had them when I was younger, so I have a less likely chance at getting them again.

Is there anything that you can suggest that can help cure them quicker. The doctor did put him on one medicine, but we are planning on going to Cali in a day, so I want him to be able to go, even if he still kinda has them. I don't want to go on vacation without him. I did get some oatmeal bath stuff, it worked for me, when I was younger.

I'd be concerned about his contagiousness and those that he would come in contact with on your travels. If airplane travel is involved, close quarters and all, I'd advise against it for the sake of those that might be infected.
http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/bacterial_viral/chicken_pox.html

Chickenpox is extremely contagious, and can be spread by direct contact, droplet transmission, and airborne transmission. Even those with mild illness after the vaccine may be contagious.

When someone becomes infected, the pox usually appear 10 to 21 days later. People become contagious 1 to 2 days before breaking out with pox. They remain contagious while uncrusted blisters are present.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001592.htm

If he just broke out, then your brother should probably stay home, as he might still be contagious.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001592.htm#Treatment
DO NOT USE ASPIRIN for someone who may have chickenpox. Use of aspirin has been associated with Reyes Syndrome. Ibuprofen has been associated with more severe secondary infections. Acetaminophen may be used.

Aveeno oatmeal bath is what we used when the kids had chicken pox.
http://www.aveeno.com/lineDetail.do?pid=8000

Caladryl (topical diphenhydramine) lotion is also good for itchy spots.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to My Brother's Chicken Pox - How Can We Help?

1. What is chicken pox and how is it transmitted?

Chicken pox is a highly contagious viral infection caused by the varicella-zoster virus. It is spread through direct contact with fluid from the blisters of an infected person or through respiratory droplets from coughing or sneezing. It can also be spread by touching objects that have the virus on them.

2. What are the symptoms of chicken pox?

The most common symptoms of chicken pox include a rash of itchy, fluid-filled blisters, fever, headache, and fatigue. Other symptoms may include loss of appetite, muscle aches, and sore throat. It usually takes about 10-21 days for symptoms to appear after exposure to the virus.

3. Is there a treatment for chicken pox?

There is no specific treatment for chicken pox, but the symptoms can be managed with over-the-counter medications and home remedies. It is important to keep the infected person hydrated and to avoid scratching the blisters to prevent infection. In severe cases, antiviral medication may be prescribed.

4. How can we prevent the spread of chicken pox?

The best way to prevent the spread of chicken pox is through vaccination. The varicella vaccine is highly effective in preventing the disease. It is also important to avoid contact with infected individuals and to practice good hygiene, such as washing hands frequently and covering coughs and sneezes.

5. Can someone get chicken pox more than once?

In most cases, a person can only get chicken pox once because the body develops immunity to the virus after being infected. However, in some rare cases, a person may develop a second episode of chicken pox, known as shingles, later in life due to the reactivation of the varicella-zoster virus.