My calculator gives wrong values

In summary: PIn summary, there is a known issue with calculating sine of multiples of pi in radian mode on calculators due to the irrational nature of pi and rounding errors. This can result in unexpected values or even overflow errors for higher values. Additionally, entering the calculation as sin(pi*x) may result in different values compared to sin(x*pi) due to the order of operations.
zorro
I use a Casio fx-991MS calculator.
I observed this strange thing during some calculations.
Setting up the calculator in radian mode, I found out the sines of various angles (multiples of π) display showed 0 for lower values.
However when I entered angles from 1201π onwards, the answers were like-
sin(1201π) = 1.59 x 10-9
sin(1202π) = 4.82 x 10-9
sin(1203π) = -1.23 x 10-9
sin(1204π) = -2.36 x 10-9

I got 0 for sin(1220π) and some other numbers but mostly unexpected values for higher numbers.

I would like to find out if there is any different method in which a calculator finds out the value of sine of multiples of π in radian mode.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Could it be that the internal representation of pi is getting rounded off and at these high values it's not be exact enough to be re-recognised as a multiple, so in effect you are calculating sin(0.00000001) (by taking away 2pi until it's in an acceptable range) or similar?

Well that might be a possible explanation but sine of some still higher values like 6000π is shown 0.

It could just be luck of the draw that the number it's ouputting for 6000 pi is small enough to come up as zero

Rounding errors.

That's just another name for what was already suggested.

Last edited:
sjb-2812 said:
Could it be that the internal representation of pi is getting rounded off and at these high values it's not be exact enough to be re-recognised as a multiple
Bingo! Pi is an irrational number; your calculator cannot represent it exactly. Your calculator cannot even represent 1/3 exactly. When you multiply 1201*pi on your calculator you do not get 1201*pi; you get something close to it.

Suppose you ask the calculator to calculate the sine of some number, call it x. The first thing your calculator is going to do is convert x to (pi/2) * some integer plus a remainder between -pi/4 and pi/4. If your calculator was exact it would get 2402*(pi/2)+0 for 1201*pi. Since your calculator is not exact it will instead get 2402*(pi/2) + some small number.

Thanks!

I have a $20 Sharp EL-520W that I've been using for about 15 years now. I can't find a multiple of [itex]\pi[/tex] that gives a non-zero result for SIN.

zgozvrm said:
I have a $20 Sharp EL-520W that I've been using for about 15 years now. I can't find a multiple of [itex]\pi[/tex] that gives a non-zero result for SIN.

It may calculate to more decimals than it shows. But I imagine if you go large enough you can still fool it; pi * 10^20, for example.

zgozvrm said:

Did you try in Radian mode?

CRGreathouse said:
It may calculate to more decimals than it shows. But I imagine if you go large enough you can still fool it; pi * 10^20, for example.

There you go. SIN(Pi * 10^20) results in an overflow error on my calculator, as does any power of 10 greater than 7.
In other words, SIN(Pi * 10^8) results in overflow, but SIN(Pi * 10^7) = 0.

BUT ... SIN(Pi * (10^7 + 1)) = SIN(Pi * 10,000,001) = 0.000001745 (approx)
and SIN(Pi * (10^7 - 1)) = SIN(Pi * 9,999,999) = 0.000001745 (approx)

It seems to start breaking down after SIN(Pi * 555,555)

... and, yes, this was in Radian mode.

I found something new again-
Input - sin(1201π) = 1.59 x 10-9
But sinπ(1201) = 0!
If I write any value this way (no matter how high), it shows 0!

@zgozvrm
Can you try this thing in your calculator?

Abdul Quadeer said:
I found something new again-
Input - sin(1201π) = 1.59 x 10-9
But sinπ(1201) = 0!
If I write any value this way (no matter how high), it shows 0!

@zgozvrm
Can you try this thing in your calculator?

That one's easy:

[tex]\sin \pi * (1201) = 0 * (1201) = 0[/tex]

Your calculator evaluates [itex]\sin(\pi)[/tex] first.
Note that [itex]\sin(xy)[/tex] does not necessarily equal [itex]\sin(x)*y[/tex]

I take it from Abdul's post that he is asking you to calculate sin(pi*1201) versus sin(1201*pi).

Hint: a*b-b*a is not necessarily zero on your calculator or on a computer.

D H said:
I take it from Abdul's post that he is asking you to calculate sin(pi*1201) versus sin(1201*pi).

In that case, I get the same result:

[tex]\sin(\pi X) = \sin(X \pi) = 0[/tex]

for all values of X such that [itex]0 \le X \le 555,555[/tex]

D H said:

Yes I meant that but I thought the calculator will understand sinπ(1201) as sin(π1201) which is wrong.

zgozvrm said:

Only integer values of X :biggrin:

Abdul Quadeer said:

Yes, of course.

zgozvrm said:

Wow, I can't believe you tried every value in that range! :bugeye:
Abdul Quadeer said:
Hmmm, okay, but still...

1. Why is my calculator giving incorrect values?

There could be several reasons for this. It could be due to user error, such as inputting the wrong numbers or using the wrong calculations. It could also be due to a malfunction in the calculator's hardware or software. Another possibility is that the calculator's battery is running low, causing it to give inaccurate readings.

2. How can I fix my calculator if it is giving wrong values?

First, check for any user errors, such as entering the wrong numbers or using the wrong calculations. If that is not the issue, try resetting the calculator or replacing the batteries. If the problem persists, it may be a malfunction and you may need to contact the manufacturer for assistance or consider getting a new calculator.

3. Is there a way to prevent my calculator from giving incorrect values?

To prevent incorrect values, make sure you are inputting the correct numbers and using the correct calculations. Regularly check the batteries and replace them when needed. Also, avoid exposing the calculator to extreme temperatures or harsh conditions that could damage its hardware or software.

4. Can software updates fix my calculator's incorrect values?

In some cases, software updates can fix issues with a calculator giving incorrect values. Check the manufacturer's website or contact their customer support to see if there are any available updates for your specific model of calculator.

5. Should I get a new calculator if mine is consistently giving wrong values?

If your calculator is consistently giving wrong values, even after trying the above solutions, it may be time to consider getting a new one. Over time, calculators can wear out and become less accurate, so it may be more cost-effective to invest in a new one rather than continually trying to fix the issue.