Seemingly simple equilibrium problem - force balance

In summary, the problem asks to find the tension in the cable BE and the compressive force in beam CE. Using the law of cosines and the law of sines, the values for BE and angle E are calculated. The sum of forces in the x and y direction at point E is then used to solve for the cable tension and compressive force in the beam. However, the resulting values do not match those given in the textbook, indicating a discrepancy. It is recommended to work symbolically until the end and to be cautious when applying significant figures rules.
davidwinth
Homework Statement
Find the cable tension and the compressive force in the beam
Relevant Equations
Equilibrium means sum of forces equals zero
For this problem we are asked to find the tension in the cable BE and the compressive force in beam CE. We are given that ## \angle C = 40 \circ##. We are also given that CE = 10 meters and vertical BC = 6 meters.

My solution is to find BE using the law of cosines, from which I get

$$BE = \sqrt{10^2 + 6^2 - 2(6)(10)cos(40)} = 6.638875 m$$

I use the law of sines to calculate the angle E (taken as CEB) as

$$ \angle E = sin^{-1} \left ( \frac{6sin(40)}{6.638875} \right) = 35.51602 \circ$$

Now the sum of the forces in the x direction at point E is just (note the angle from the mass to E to B is 75.51602 degrees):

$$-F_{BE}sin(75.51602) + F_{CE}sin(40)=0$$

and the sum of the forces in the y direction is:

$$-F_{BE}cos(75.51602) + F_{CE}cos(40)=200*9.8$$

When I solve this I get that the cable tension is 2168.7 N and the compressive force in the beam is 3266.7 N. The textbook has a value for the cable of 2450 N and the beam of 3360 N. I am not sure why my solution is wrong.
1634934983764.png

Physics news on Phys.org
davidwinth said:
Homework Statement:: Find the cable tension and the compressive force in the beam
Relevant Equations:: Equilibrium means sum of forces equals zero

For this problem we are asked to find the tension in the cable BE and the compressive force in beam CE. We are given that ## \angle C = 40 \circ##. We are also given that CE = 10 meters and vertical BC = 6 meters.

My solution is to find BE using the law of cosines, from which I get

$$BE = \sqrt{10^2 + 6^2 - 2(6)(10)cos(40)} = 6.638875 m$$

I use the law of sines to calculate the angle E (taken as CEB) as

$$ \angle E = sin^{-1} \left ( \frac{6sin(40)}{6.638875} \right) = 35.51602 \circ$$

Now the sum of the forces in the x direction at point E is just (note the angle from the mass to E to B is 75.51602 degrees):

$$-F_{BE}sin(75.51602) + F_{CE}sin(40)=0$$

and the sum of the forces in the y direction is:

$$-F_{BE}cos(75.51602) + F_{CE}cos(40)=200*9.8$$

When I solve this I get that the cable tension is 2168.7 N and the compressive force in the beam is 3266.7 N. The textbook has a value for the cable of 2450 N and the beam of 3360 N. I am not sure why my solution is wrong.View attachment 291027
I did a quick check and get the same as you, I guess the official answer is wrong - it sometimes happens.

Also, note if you are using g=9.8m/s², the answers should be rounded to two sig. figs. =- you can get away with three, but five is too many!

Steve4Physics said:
I did a quick check and get the same as you, I guess the official answer is wrong - it sometimes happens.

Also, note if you are using g=9.8m/s², the answers should be rounded to two sig. figs. =- you can get away with three, but five is too many!
Thanks. If you did the problem and got my answer then I guess the book is wrong. I generally include the amount of figures that looks good to me. The "significant figures" rules never made much sense to me.:cool:

It gets a lot closer to the given answer if we take 40° as the angle to the horizontal, but still a bit off - about 2% too high. Making g 10 instead of 9.8 doesn't help as that adds another 2%, not subtracts it.

I strongly recommend working entirely symbolically until the end. Create variable names for all the given numbers. It has more readable, checkable, correctible and often less work with a more accurate answer.

The sig figs rules only work, generally, if all the operations are multiplicative (includes divisions). In this problem there is an addition/subtraction, which can reduce the valid number of valid digits in the answer, potentially losing the lot!, but won't add any.

davidwinth said:
The "significant figures" rules never made much sense to me.:cool:
Failure to correctly apply significant figures rules may lead to a joke...

A man is admiring a dinosaur skeleton in a museum. A curator comes up and says “That one is two hundred million and one years old.”.

“Really?” says the man. “How can you tell the age so precisely?”.

“Well,” replies the curator, “when it was delivered one year ago, I was told it was two hundred million years old,”.

• Haha
Likes hutchphd and Delta2
Steve4Physics said:
Failure to correctly apply significant figures rules may lead to a joke...

A man is admiring a dinosaur skeleton in a museum. A curator comes up and says “That one is two hundred million and one years old.”.

“Really?” says the man. “How can you tell the age so precisely?”.

“Well,” replies the curator, “when it was delivered one year ago, I was told it was two hundred million years old,”.
Funny!

However, it may be more a matter of unneeded (ridiculous) precision than of significant figures. For example, my daughter was born on May 3, 2019 at 3:23 pm. When asked how old she is, I say 2 and a half, even though I could give her age down to the years, months, days, and hours (maybe minutes) with justified accuracy. Nobody cares about the days, hours or minutes of the age of a tiddler. Similarly, 1 year out of 200 million, even if the 200 million were exact, doesn't change much worth the time to speak it.If the calculations given in the question above were for comparison with the rated strength of the cable, say, the I'd round up anyway. I'd report that the cable is under 2200 N load and use that to see how close it is to breaking.

Last edited:
davidwinth said:
However, it may be more a matter of unneeded (ridiculous) precision than of significant figures. For example, my daughter was born on May 3, 2019 at 3:23 pm. When asked how old she is, I say 2 and a half, even though I could give her age down to the years, months, days, and hours (maybe minutes) with justified accuracy. Nobody cares about the days, hours or minutes of the age of a tiddler. Similarly, 1 year out of 200 million, even if the 200 million were exact, doesn't change much worth the time to speak it.If the calculations given in the question above were for comparison with the rated strength of the cable, say, the I'd round up anyway. I'd report that the cable is under 2200 N load and use that to see how close it is to breaking.
Context is important. In science/engineering, the number of significant figures caries useful information. For example:

Stating a value (of x say) as x=1.34 (three significant figures) implies the value of x is such that
1.335 ≤ x < 1.345

But stating x=1.340 (four significant figures) implies the value of x is such that
1.3395 ≤ x < 1.3405

So, for example, if you have one more significant figure than appropriate, you are effectively claiming that you know the precision ten times better than you really do.

Of course, if needed, a value and its uncertainty can be formally specified, e.g. x = 1.34±0.07

But when only an informal indication of uncertainty is needed, correct use of significant figures is common practice.

And in many examinations, if you give a final answer to a numerical question to an inappropriate number of significant figures, you may lose a mark!

1. What is a seemingly simple equilibrium problem?

A seemingly simple equilibrium problem is a physics problem that involves finding the forces acting on an object in order for it to remain in a state of equilibrium, or balance. These problems may seem simple at first glance, but they often require a deep understanding of the principles of force and motion.

2. How do you solve a seemingly simple equilibrium problem?

To solve a seemingly simple equilibrium problem, you must first identify all the forces acting on the object and their directions. Then, you can use the principle of force balance, which states that the sum of all forces acting on an object must equal zero for it to be in equilibrium. Finally, you can set up equations and solve for the unknown forces.

3. What are some common mistakes when solving equilibrium problems?

Some common mistakes when solving equilibrium problems include forgetting to include all the forces acting on the object, not considering the direction of the forces, and using incorrect equations. It is important to carefully analyze the problem and double-check your work to avoid these mistakes.

4. Can you explain the difference between static and dynamic equilibrium?

Static equilibrium occurs when an object is at rest and all the forces acting on it are balanced. Dynamic equilibrium, on the other hand, occurs when an object is moving at a constant velocity and the net force acting on it is zero. In both cases, the object is in a state of equilibrium, but the forces involved are different.

5. How are equilibrium problems relevant in real-world applications?

Equilibrium problems are relevant in many real-world applications, such as construction, engineering, and design. Understanding the forces acting on structures and objects is crucial in ensuring their stability and safety. Equilibrium problems also play a role in understanding the motion of objects, such as vehicles and airplanes, and can help predict and prevent accidents.