My Fault Experiment: Hot Water & Earth's Crust

In summary, the speaker conducted an experiment using a broken brick and a small can of very hot water to represent the Earth's crust and magma. They observed that the heat of the water caused the bricks to move apart due to pressure. They also mention the possibility of doing the same experiment with cold water and seeking suggestions to improve the experiment.
Mkbul
Ok, so today i made a new very simple model and i'd like just to discuss it with you all.

Ive put a broken brick (x, y, z: 10, 2.5, 4 Splited up to 5, 2.5 and 5 (cm)) together in a marked with walls (20cm x 20cm x 5cm) area. The bricks were representing the Earth's crust. I've then brought a small can with Very hot water painted in red to represent the magma. I've then splited it inside the area. The sample of hot water (magma) was a pretty big amount to fill up the whole area. As i was watching the progress of it I've noticed that the fault inside the 2 bricks was slightly filling up the water and the water splited apart the 2 bricks at a very small distance.

What i believe is that the heat of the water forced the 2 bricks apart because of the pressure the hot water had.

Sorry if this was a bad experiment but I'm not that old to know all this stuff! Also I am sorry if my english are not readable, I'm Greek!

I accept suggestions to make again the experiment better!

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Have you tried doing the same experiment but with cold water? Do the blocks still move as you previously observed?

billiards said:
Have you tried doing the same experiment but with cold water? Do the blocks still move as you previously observed?

Well yeah, once again the fault becomes wet, but the bricks are not forced away

Related to My Fault Experiment: Hot Water & Earth's Crust

1. What is the purpose of the "My Fault Experiment: Hot Water & Earth's Crust"?

The purpose of this experiment is to observe the effects of hot water on the Earth's crust and how it can potentially lead to earthquakes and other geologic events.

2. How is this experiment conducted?

This experiment is typically conducted in a laboratory setting using a model of the Earth's crust. Hot water is then poured onto the model to simulate the effects of a thermal anomaly in the crust.

3. What are the potential outcomes of this experiment?

The potential outcomes of this experiment include observing the formation of faults, earthquakes, and other geologic events as a result of the hot water interacting with the Earth's crust. It can also provide insight into the role of thermal anomalies in the Earth's geology.

4. How does this experiment relate to real-world scenarios?

This experiment relates to real-world scenarios as it simulates the effects of thermal anomalies in the Earth's crust, which can occur naturally or be caused by human activities such as fracking. By understanding these effects, scientists can better predict and prepare for potential earthquakes and other geologic events.

5. What are the implications of this experiment for understanding the Earth's geology?

This experiment has significant implications for understanding the Earth's geology as it provides insight into the role of thermal anomalies in shaping the Earth's crust and the potential hazards associated with them. It also allows for further research and understanding of the complex processes that occur within the Earth's crust.