My Favorite EE Myths: Debunked!

• Thread starter manzana
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ee Myths
In summary, these are some of my favorite myths about electricity and electronics. Some are true, while others may not be. My favorite is #7, which is a cheap and easy way to make your car "invisible" to police radar.
manzana
These are some of my favorite myths I have encountered in my EE career...

1. NEVER mix Duracell and Eveready batteries in the same flashlight
2. Never leave your car battery on a cement floor, it will ground out and drain itself ( A metal shelf on concrete is OK)
3. Never use a wireless phone during an electrical storm
4. You are safe from lightning in a car because it isn't grounded
5. Cell phones use satellites to communicate (what are those big towers for?)
6. I need 100 ohm coax so I will just use 2 50 ohm pieces in series

MY FAVORITE:
7. For $20 you can by a rubber strip at the truck stop to ground your car and make it invisible to police radar. (Watch out for lightning though..)

Likes cnh1995 and davenn
Physics news on Phys.org
manzana said:
2. Never leave your car battery on a cement floor, it will ground out and drain itself ( A metal shelf on concrete is OK)
Someone posted a thread about this recently. The problematic claim was worded, "Never leave a car battery on a cement floor. It will ruin it." The last sentence is ambiguous, but is meant to warn that fumes from the battery will ruin the cement floor. But, because of the ambiguous wording, it's easy to suppose it means the cement floor will ruin the battery.

manzana said:
These are some of my favorite myths I have encountered in my EE career...

1. NEVER mix Duracell and Eveready batteries in the same flashlight
3. Never use a wireless phone during an electrical storm
5. Cell phones use satellites to communicate (what are those big towers for?)
6. I need 100 ohm coax so I will just use 2 50 ohm pieces in series

MY FAVORITE:
7. For $20 you can by a rubber strip at the truck stop to ground your car and make it invisible to police radar. (Watch out for lightning though..)

Those are pretty good. I've heard many of them, and yes they are pretty silly. What's worse is barring cell phone usage at gas stations (petrol stations) citing safety reasons. That's just a load of hooey.

There might be a touch of truth to #1 though. When you change batteries, preferably you should change them together and use batteries of the same brand. The issue is that since the battery cells are in series, as is typically the case with a flashlight ("torch" for all you European yahoos people), as the battery depletes there is a real chance that the cell with the least amount of charge will find its polarity reversed. When this happens it will very likely corrode and may damage the flashlight (torch).

Last edited:
manzana said:

there's a lot of truth in this one as well. BUT NOT because it isn't grounded, but because it is a reasonable Faraday cageDave

Likes cnh1995
davenn said:
but because it is a reasonable Faraday cage
Poor Faraday, why are there some many people that want to catch him and lock him in?

Likes davenn
hahaha

Likes DennisN
manzana said:
7. For $20 you can by a rubber strip at the truck stop to ground your car and make it invisible to police radar

this one reminds me of something else from days gone by
Cars were sold with or could be added later, a leather strap from the car chassis that the other end would bounce along the road
It was said to ground static build up in the car that was reported to be one cause of people getting car sick ( motion sickness)
I have never done any research into it, so don't know if there is any truth or if it is just another "old wives tale" ? :)

Dave

1. What are some common myths about electrical engineering?

Some common myths about electrical engineering include: that it's only for men, that it's all about math and numbers, that it's too difficult for the average person, that it's a dying field due to automation, and that it's not creative.

2. Is electrical engineering only for men?

No, electrical engineering is a field that is open to anyone who has the interest and aptitude for it. While it is true that there are more men than women in the field, there are many successful and talented female electrical engineers.

3. Do you need to be good at math to be an electrical engineer?

While having a strong foundation in math is important for electrical engineering, it is not the only requirement. Problem-solving, critical thinking, and creativity are also crucial skills for a successful electrical engineer.

4. Will automation replace the need for electrical engineers?

No, automation may change the types of tasks that electrical engineers do, but it will not replace the need for them. Electrical engineers are still needed to design, develop, and maintain the technology and systems that use automation.

5. Can you be creative in the field of electrical engineering?

Absolutely! Electrical engineering involves designing and creating new technologies and systems, which requires a lot of creativity. From developing new solutions to problems, to designing efficient and innovative products, creativity is a crucial aspect of electrical engineering.