My Humble Plea: Get Rid of Telephone Poles

• Thread starter Cyrus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Poles
In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of telephone poles and their impact on the aesthetic and functional aspects of a city. Many individuals expressed their dislike for telephone poles and wires, citing issues such as obstructed views, power outages, and the cost of maintenance. Some even shared their own personal experiences and solutions for reducing the number of telephone poles in their area. The conversation also touched on other related topics such as city planning, light pollution, and the effects of climate change on the Earth's polar ice caps.
Cyrus
(a) Telephone Poles. I really, really hate telephone poles. They are abhorrently ugly. Every time I drive down the road- wires, wires, wires. Everywhere wires!

I live way too close to a major city for there to be wires everywhere. The water is under the ground in pipes, why does the power lines have to be above ground? They get hit by lightning during rain and cause the power to go out. They cost money because the county has to cut the trees so they don't grow into the power lines. They total your car when you hit one.

PH2008070201580.jpg

BAH! Wires, WIRES! BAH UGH!

Contrast that with downtown DC, which rarely has telephone poles

47301219.aw9p.jpg

Despite being in a major city, the sky seems less obstructed with wires everywhere.

I'd cut down every last one if I could.

Do you have lots of telephone poles where you live? Why? Isnt this America in the year 2009?

I have found that I really like the country, or the city. I hate the inbetween suburbs. It's a half assed version of each with strip malls.

Which leads me to the second thing I hate, strip malls!

http://i.treehugger.com/files/dunnfoundation.jpg

Wires and strip malls! double fail! Is there no such thing as city planning? It looks like a 3rd world slum. All you need to do is add shanty houses around the periphery and you're in downtown Rio de Janeiro.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Man, I hate people who hate something and want to talk about it. But it'd rather not tell you about it.

humanino said:
Man, I hate people who hate something and want to talk about it. But it'd rather not tell you about it.

http://pal2pal.com/BLOGEE/images/uploads/rooney.jpg​

Have you ever noticed how posts like the one above make you want to kill the poster? I've been around for a long time but that's one lousy post. What ever happened to the good ole days when people put more thought behind posts?

BTW, it's true, DC sucks with all those wires ! Here we have trees, cows, fresh air... We don't even have electricity. I have to run a bicycle anytime I want to read you Cyrus, this how much I love you.

humanino said:
BTW, it's true, DC sucks with all those wires ! Here we have trees, cows, fresh air...

http://www.esquire.com/cm/esquire/images/john-mclaughlin-WI-0209-lg-55962253.jpg

WRONG! The anwser is: DC doesn't have telephone poles.

BYE BYEEEEEE

Cyrus said:
people put more thought behind posts?
that was before internet, with regular mail.

where I live, just the desert and my beloved camel to get me where ever I want.

Stratosphere said:
I hate light pollution.

http://www.perimeno.ca/pics/Night.jpg
Earth at night 2000

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/61/Flat_earth_night.png
earth at night 2007

Africa sucks. They have two lightbulbs for the whole continent! (I think those pictures look nice though)

Are you kidding? Telephone poles are the only thing there is to stop the cars from going over the cliffs when they skid on ice in winter here! :biggrin:

Actually, it rather depends which neighborhood you're in around here. Slowly, they're burying the cables, and I live in a development where everything was put in underground. But, there are some areas where they probably will never be able to do that because of too much rock instead of soil. It seems to get done when they need to dig up the roads for something else, like putting in city sewer to a neighborhood or replacing water mains, or when a road gets expanded since they have to move the poles then anyway.

Moonbear said:
Are you kidding? Telephone poles are the only thing there is to stop the cars from going over the cliffs when they skid on ice in winter here! :biggrin:

Actually, it rather depends which neighborhood you're in around here. Slowly, they're burying the cables, and I live in a development where everything was put in underground. But, there are some areas where they probably will never be able to do that because of too much rock instead of soil. It seems to get done when they need to dig up the roads for something else, like putting in city sewer to a neighborhood or replacing water mains, or when a road gets expanded since they have to move the poles then anyway.

Before:

PH2008070201580.jpg
http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/8582/poles.png

After editing. I took out the wires, and replaced the traffic lights with metal supports that are actually in other parts of this same road.

Wow, so that's what the sky looks like, and how not to make ur city look like a slum.

Cyrus said:
I took out the wires, and replaced the traffic lights with metal supports that are actually in other parts of this same road.
Are you a kind of magician ? Can you bring the wires out here, just to check how it looks ?

Stratosphere said:
I hate light pollution.

http://www.perimeno.ca/pics/Night.jpg
Earth at night 2000

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/61/Flat_earth_night.png
earth at night 2007

Fascinating images. I already had the 2000 one but not the new 2007 image. At first it looks like the city lights are exactly the same in 2007, but after adjusting the color balance I can see that there is more illumination coming out of most of the big cities.

The big difference you really notice, though, is all the melted ice caps. Not only can you see the ice receding, but you can also see the water level around parts of the coastline and lakes rising. I've made an animated gif for visual comparison:

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/4547/2000vs2007.gif

what?

JungleBeast said:
The big difference you really notice, though, is all the melted ice caps.
I think that's actually an artifact. Possibly different atmospheric conditions but when I first saw it I was thinking that it looked like the major reason for the difference between the two was a greater time elapse in the second image. That would explain the increased light and brightness, the added detail to certain countries and in the oceans, as well as the lack of cloudy areas which you seem to be interpreting as ice. If it were ice we would be talking about hundreds or thousands of miles* of ice receding in a matter of seven years.

Edit: You'll note that there is a similar cloudy area over northern africa which I don't think is known for its glaciers.

Edit2: *That is to say square miles in total.

Last edited:

Related to My Humble Plea: Get Rid of Telephone Poles

1. Why should we get rid of telephone poles?

Telephone poles are an outdated and unsightly form of infrastructure that can be easily replaced by underground wiring. Getting rid of telephone poles can improve the appearance of our neighborhoods and also reduce the risk of accidents and power outages caused by damaged poles.

2. How would getting rid of telephone poles benefit the environment?

By eliminating telephone poles, we can reduce the amount of wood and metal waste produced during their installation and maintenance. It also eliminates the need for herbicides to control vegetation growth around the poles and reduces the risk of fires caused by downed power lines.

3. Is it feasible to get rid of all telephone poles?

While it may not be possible to completely eliminate telephone poles in all areas, it is certainly feasible to gradually phase them out and replace them with underground wiring. This has already been successfully implemented in many cities and can be done with careful planning and investment.

4. Will getting rid of telephone poles be expensive?

The initial cost of removing and replacing telephone poles may seem expensive, but in the long run, it can actually save money. Underground wiring requires less maintenance and is less susceptible to damage from weather and accidents, resulting in lower costs for repairs and replacements.

5. Are there any downsides to getting rid of telephone poles?

One potential downside is the disruption and inconvenience that may be caused during the installation process. However, this is only temporary and the long-term benefits outweigh this short-term inconvenience. Additionally, some may argue that the underground wiring may be more difficult to access for maintenance, but advancements in technology have made this process easier and more efficient.