My hunch on the difficulty of higher math

• Thread starter bobsmith76
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difficulty
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of math problems in a calculus textbook, stating that most problems range from 4 to 8 steps and become easier once the algorithm is understood. It also mentions the challenge of understanding math language and the importance of building on previous math knowledge. The conversation then questions if higher math problems will also follow the same pattern and concludes with a discussion on the difficulty of learning new math concepts and the extensive effort required to prove certain theorems.
bobsmith76
Just about all of the problems in my calculus textbook range on average range between 4 and 8 steps. Once you know the algorithm the problems are usually easy and routine. It is simply a matter of understanding what the algorithm requires. Ironically the hardest part about math is understanding the vocabulary and the special language that it is written in. As everyone know, all math builds on other math. I have a feeling that higher math problems will continue to range between 4 and 8 steps, it's just a matter learning all the algorithms and learning all the prerequisite math. Is this true? Adding new knowledge to math, that of course is hard, but learning something else that someone has discovered is easy. To illustrate this is easy. Think of how easy it is to understand that F = MA, yet it took centuries for man to discover.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Higher math bears no resemblance to the math you're doing right now. In particular, you will rarely be performing calculations, and there will almost never be an algorithm for you to follow. Most of the time, you won't even be working with numbers.

It will get to a point when the whole lecture is spent on proving a *single* theorem, and the homework takes days to *think* about, with a single question taking pages to write down its proof.

bobsmith76 said:
learning something else that someone has discovered is easy.

Ha ha, no. Easier sure. But easy? The amount of required reading you need for, say, K-theory will send you back months, if not years.

Guess, I was wrong. I am aware of the difficulty of the theorem for finite simple groups:

one cannot command a clear view of the classification theorem for finite simple groups. Though the statement of the theorem requires but half a page, its proof required 10,000 pages and employed the joint effort of hundreds of mathematicians spanning several decades. The mathematical community considers the theorem proven, but no one mathematician is able to survey the entire proof. - William Dembski

Related to My hunch on the difficulty of higher math

1. What is the difficulty level of higher math?

The difficulty level of higher math can vary depending on the individual's background and level of understanding. Generally, higher math is considered more challenging than basic math as it involves abstract concepts and advanced problem-solving techniques.

2. What are some common challenges encountered in higher math?

Some common challenges in higher math include understanding complex theories and formulas, applying them to solve problems, and developing critical thinking skills. Time management and practice are also crucial in mastering higher math concepts.

3. How can I improve my understanding of higher math?

The key to improving your understanding of higher math is to practice regularly and seek help when needed. It is also important to have a strong foundation in basic math concepts and to approach problems with a curious and open mind.

4. Is higher math necessary for a career in science or engineering?

Higher math is essential for a career in science or engineering as it provides a foundation for understanding and solving complex problems in these fields. It also helps develop critical thinking and analytical skills that are highly valued in these industries.

5. How can I overcome my fear of higher math?

Fear of higher math is common, but it can be overcome with persistence and determination. Start by breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts and seek help from teachers or peers when needed. With practice and a positive attitude, you can overcome your fear of higher math and excel in it.