My parent's cars are sinking in mud.

• Thread starter Newai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cars
In summary, the expert suggests that if the ground is very soft, you may need to dig out a few inches to a foot, add back in excavated material, and add more gravel as needed. If the ground is softer, you may want to try using a fabric to keep moisture away from the ground. The cost of materials may be too high for some people.
Newai
My mom and dad have a muddy driveway and every time I go over there it looks like their vehicles are getting deeper in the mud. He puts gravel in there every year, but that part of town the ground is just so soggy that it's not helping much. So we'd really like some suggestions on how to deal with that short of actually hot-topping the drive. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure these would work if the ground is very soft. Also not sure of the cost. But I suppose you could just put them on the tire tracks, to keep the cost low.

050810_253d_9093lg.jpg

That's interesting. I'll show them the pic and see what they think. Thanks.

Newai said:
My mom and dad have a muddy driveway and every time I go over there it looks like their vehicles are getting deeper in the mud. He puts gravel in there every year, but that part of town the ground is just so soggy that it's not helping much. So we'd really like some suggestions on how to deal with that short of actually hot-topping the drive. Any ideas?

The easiest way I know of is first to dig out about six inches to a foot, if the excavated material has as much gravel in it as adding a little every year makes me believe you can probably re-use it. Then in the bottom of your excavation place some of http://www.usfabricsinc.com/geotextileapplications/haulroad" Then add the the excavated material back in the hole. If you make sure that everything drains decently and everything is compacted properly, you will never have a problem again. That fabric keep all ground moisture from coming up into your fill. You may need to replace the excavated dirt if it has a high clay content though. I also noticed on the companies home page, of the link I provided, they have a video of a product made especially for driveways, but I didnt watch it to see what it was all about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Newai, is there a paper mill near you? Paper mills have to replace dryer fabrics frequently, and those fabrics can often be had for free if you know someone who works in the mill. Excavate, lay down the fabric, and top with gravel/sand mixture. Paper companies here use such fabrics to stabilize very muddy sections of roads used to haul out pulpwood and timber from the forest.

Newai said:
I have a similar problem on the shoulder of the street near the mail box. It would get muddy in the spring time after the big melts. I got some patio mix which stiffens the ground and that firmed up the area.

Even if one is to put down asphalt, one would have to stabilize the soil. I've seen the system that lisab posted.

One could use geotextiles or some stabilizer, and then asphalt.

My/our (8 residents on 40 acres) drive is ~1/4 mile from the county road. Since it's a private road we had to make and maintain it.

When you have new soft earth, you need to start with large rock, not gravel. We started off with 4 inch rock as a base then topped with 1 inch road rock (uncleaned 1" limestone with lots of crushed/powdery limestone). The road rock will pack and make a very hard drivable surface. As time goes on, the rock will get pushed down so additional 1" road rock needs to be added.

The key is the starting with big rock first.

I have ~1/2 mile of road on my property that I let the local snowmobile club use as part of their trail system. I shudder to think of the cost to turn that winter skidder road into something that would support vehicles. The guy who owns the local gravel-pits and sand-pits is a friend, but even if he treated me well, I fear that the cost of materials could send both his kids to Ivy-league schools, even if I did all the preliminary excavations/spreading of materials/finishing with my own tractor.

turbo-1 said:
I have ~1/2 mile of road on my property that I let the local snowmobile club use as part of their trail system. I shudder to think of the cost to turn that winter skidder road into something that would support vehicles. The guy who owns the local gravel-pits and sand-pits is a friend, but even if he treated me well, I fear that the cost of materials could send both his kids to Ivy-league schools, even if I did all the preliminary excavations/spreading of materials/finishing with my own tractor.

Yep. It cost a lot. We've been working on it for nearly 30 years now. Mostly because of water erosion during those 6+ inch rains. Our property is in the hills and lots of water can converge toward the road and overflow the ditch lines.

Thanks for the help everyone. I printed this thread out and will give it to them. Assuming they haven't disappeared by then. :biggrin:

dlgoff said:
When you have new soft earth, you need to start with large rock, not gravel.

I agree. I had construction rubble (broken concrete/brick/ etc) hauled in. Much cheaper.

Related to My parent's cars are sinking in mud.

1. What causes a car to sink in mud?

There are several factors that can cause a car to sink in mud, including the weight of the car, the type of tires, and the depth and consistency of the mud. Additionally, if the car is parked in an area with a high water table or near a body of water, the ground may be more prone to becoming saturated and causing the car to sink.

2. How can I prevent my parent's car from sinking in mud?

To prevent a car from sinking in mud, it is important to avoid driving on muddy roads or parking in areas where the ground is soft and prone to sinking. If you must park in an area with muddy ground, try to find a spot with a solid foundation, such as a gravel or paved surface. You can also invest in all-terrain tires, which are designed to provide better traction on muddy surfaces.

3. What should I do if my parent's car is already sinking in mud?

If the car is only partially sunk in the mud, you may be able to use a shovel or other tools to dig out the tires and create a path for the car to drive out. If the car is completely stuck and unable to move, it is best to seek assistance from a tow truck or other professional service to safely remove the car from the mud.

4. Can sinking in mud cause damage to a car?

Yes, sinking in mud can potentially cause damage to a car, especially if the car is stuck for an extended period of time. The weight of the car on the tires can cause them to become misshapen and lose air, and the mud can also damage the undercarriage and other components of the car. It is important to address the situation as soon as possible to minimize potential damage.

5. Is it safe to try and push a sinking car out of mud?

No, it is not safe to try and push a sinking car out of mud. This can put you at risk for injury and can also cause further damage to the car. It is best to seek professional assistance or use proper tools and techniques to safely remove the car from the mud.