My past manager probably doesn't like me I need a reference

• Thread starter freshman2013
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reference
In summary, the person is a STEM major and college sophomore looking for an internship this summer. They need 3 references for a position they interviewed for, but their previous intern manager did not respond to their request for a reference. They are worried this may affect their chances for the internship. They are considering asking 2 TAs from past courses and a coworker from last summer as references. The expert believes they are overthinking and that coworkers would be good references as they have seen the person at their best. They also suggest that the manager may not have responded due to other pressing matters.
freshman2013
I'm a STEM major, college sophomore, looking for an internship this summer and a place I'm applying to needs 3 references, after I finished my interviewed there. I tried contacting my manager from my intern position last year asking if she'd be a reference. Problem is she didn't respond after a week, and I'm afraid she doesn't like me all that much. I definitely did do things there that I regret, like spending too much time on non-work related sites, and I'm not too sure if she was aware of that or not, but I felt like I could've done better without the distractions. So anyways, I'm afraid this might screw up my chances for an internship this summer. Who else should I ask as references? Are 2 TAs from past courses and perhaps a coworker last summer be good enough? Anything else could I do? How bad of a position am I in in terms of getting an internship this summer, or that internship position in particular? For that particular position, I did feel like I aced the interview, so that's the one thing I could see really going for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're over worrying here. Coworkers could work since they must've seen you at your best and even better if they worked there full time. The manager may not be responding simply because there's more pressing things to do.

I've worked with students Who have the same problem . I send an email and they don't respond for a week or more. The excuse is always like I don't check that email address very much and I wonder why they didn't give a better one. Later then they'll want a recommendation and I don't know after writing if I'm sending it to a dead letter address or not.

1. What should I do if I think my past manager doesn't like me and I need a reference?

If you believe that your past manager may have a negative opinion of you, it is important to approach the situation with professionalism and tact. First, try to gather evidence or examples of your good performance or positive interactions with your manager. This can help you counter any potential negative feedback. Additionally, consider reaching out to your manager to discuss the situation and express your desire for a positive reference. Be honest and open about any concerns you may have and try to find a resolution. If necessary, you may also consider asking for a reference from a different supervisor or colleague who can speak positively about your work.

2. How can I tell if my past manager doesn't like me?

It can be difficult to determine if your past manager has a negative opinion of you, as people's perceptions and interactions can vary. However, if you noticed a significant change in your manager's behavior towards you, such as avoiding you or giving you less responsibility, it may be a sign that they don't like you. Additionally, if you received negative feedback or were not considered for promotions or opportunities, it could also be an indication that your manager doesn't have a positive view of you.

3. Can I still list my past manager as a reference if I think they don't like me?

It is generally not recommended to list a reference who you believe has a negative opinion of you. A reference should be someone who can speak positively and confidently about your skills, work ethic, and character. If you are unsure about your past manager's opinion of you, it may be best to ask them directly or seek a reference from someone else who can provide a more favorable recommendation.

4. What if my past manager gives me a negative reference?

If you are concerned about receiving a negative reference from your past manager, it is important to address the situation directly. You can try reaching out to them to discuss any concerns they may have and try to find a resolution. Additionally, you can also provide potential employers with other references who can speak positively about your work. It is also important to keep in mind that some companies have policies in place that only allow for verification of employment dates and positions, rather than providing a detailed reference.

5. Should I mention my concerns about my past manager in a job interview?

It is generally not recommended to bring up any negative or potentially sensitive information about a past manager in a job interview. This can reflect poorly on your professionalism and may raise red flags for the interviewer. Instead, focus on highlighting your own skills and experience and let your references speak for themselves. If you are asked about your past manager or any potential conflicts, try to handle the situation calmly and diplomatically without placing blame or speaking negatively about anyone.