Phone interviewer not calling?

• Engineering
  • Thread starter CivilSigma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jobs
In summary, this person from HR stood me up the first time we had scheduled the phone interview stating that she had an important meeting she was pulled into and had to miss our call. She did not even send an email before her meeting. Now, at the second interview, she stood me up again. I called and left a voice mail as per the first time. I will send a follow up email too, again. She is unresponsive and lack in manners. Some people just are flakes. I would advise you to keep trying to make contact, even if the person you're dealing with is unresponsive and lacking in manners.
CivilSigma
I can't believe that I am making this post...

I am applying for intern positions for the summer as a structural engineer and I got lucky and matched with a big name employer (20 000+ employees across North America) for a position in Canada. They have asked me for a phone interview.

This person from HR stood me up the first time we had scheduled the phone interview stating that she had an important meeting she was pulled into and had to miss our call. She did not even send an email before her meeting. Now, at the second interview, she stood me up again. I called and left a voice mail as per the first time. I will send a follow up email too, again.

I'm just so surprised to be treated like this, even if I am a student.

Has anyone had this experience before, can you please share with me what you did?
Can some one please give me some advice on how to handle the situation?
I will wait to hear from you before my follow up email.

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
CivilSigma said:
I can't believe that I am making this post...

I am applying for intern positions for the summer as a structural engineer and I got lucky and matched with a big name employer (20 000+ employees across North America) for a position in Canada. They have asked me for a phone interview.

This person from HR stood me up the first time we had scheduled the phone interview stating that she had an important meeting she was pulled into and had to miss our call. She did not even send an email before her meeting. Now, at the second interview, she stood me up again. I called and left a voice mail as per the first time. I will send a follow up email too, again.

I'm just so surprised to be treated like this, even if I am a student.

Has anyone had this experience before, can you please share with me what you did?
Can some one please give me some advice on how to handle the situation?
I will wait to hear from you before my follow up email.

Thank you in advance.
Some people just are flakes. I would advise you to keep trying to make contact, even if the person you're dealing with is unresponsive and lacking in manners.

Likes russ_watters and CivilSigma
Rude, sure, but not a typical. Remember, you are just a name on a resume to them and if they want to they'll call, if not they won't.

I had a company string me along for a full year, they'd email and say they wanted to talk then never call. When they did offer me a position, I'd already had another, so I let them go thru the entire process of negotiating a salary and benefits and issue a formal offer letter before I turned them down. My position now has oversight into their activities and they don't even realize it. Some day it will come back to bite them, just take it in stride and keep looking elsewhere.

Likes CivilSigma
Tell her politely that it's urgent to fix a definite time for the interview.
You know of other possible employment situations, (even if you don't in fact).
If she is playing games, you can do so too without remorse

Likes CivilSigma
Don't assume malice when incompetence could also be the answer (or other issues as well).
Some of the other reasons for such poor HR behavior. Truthfully, most HR groups are NOT top notch, even the big companies. They are simply the gate keepers, and may only arrange interviews based upon buzzword count or some other criteria that you have no idea of. They could also be good, but the department that is hiring is indecisive or not all that bright either.
I have seen managers that I worked for gloss over completely competent candidates just because they didn't have a buzzword or two listed on their resume. These managers would cherry pick one or two candidates, ask to arrange an interview (a 1-2 week process), interview, then wait 2-3 weeks to proceed to offer, candidates are already hired by someone else, so they would repeat with new pile. These managers could have interviewed or arranged to interview 5-6 candidates, but their process of interviewing drags such a process out as to be a waste of everyone's time.
Sadly, you need to be persistent and just keep plodding forward. If you find a job offer with someone else and accept, simply move on.
If you are a good negotiator, you will discover that some of these same inept companies can't resist competition and will move into high gear if they believe you are close to getting an offer from a competitor. This is an enviable position to negotiate from, but is seldom possible, certainly don't claim this unless you happen to be fortuitous for this to occur. To increase the odds that it will happen for you, contact the competition type companies too (even if they would involve some travel). This will allow you to interview with a similar company and help you polish yourself for the best interview with the best company.

Likes russ_watters and CivilSigma
rootone said:
You know of other possible employment situations, (even if you don't in fact).
I'm not sure that would be good strategy. Starting off your relationship with them using false pretenses could backfire at some point.

I agree with those that say keep trying. And keep looking at your other options too. Good luck!

Likes NTL2009 and CivilSigma
I think the HR person is really rude and incompetent. They missed the 3rd scheduled call... I don't know what to make of this.
Really frustrating to be honest.

Is there a general HR e-mail contact listed on their website? You could write a polite e-mail to them with the appointment information and asking that a different phone screener be assigned.

Opinions, opinions, opinions.
You might consider what some professional healthcare administrators do as a communication method for appointments of patients. They remind patients of their appointments using email, phone call, and street-level postal card. In this case, it would be like the 'patient' sending the reminders to the 'administrator' or 'company' . After that, just drop it.

symbolipoint said:
Opinions, opinions, opinions.
It's best if you quote the replys that you are responding to. Whose responses?

berkeman said:
It's best if you quote the replys that you are responding to. Whose responses?
Anyone who wants to be included.

Nobody wants to miss or lose an appointment. What I suggest might be doing too much, and that after a couple of attempts to make contact to check on possible new interview appoint, the candidate could just move on to other prospects.

When I was in school I had a job as a manager and had to do some phone interviews. One time I missed one because I had an unforseen last minute meeting, with the toilet. And then it took a few more days just to reschedule with the person.

Keep in mind that they're people too. People with lives and other responsibilities. You may be sitting next to your phone counting the minutes waiting for their call because this is so important to you, but to them you're just another in a long list of applicants. So have some patience. Since you're the applicant there's really no point in complaining, especially to them, because they hold all of the cards.

For my current job I spoke to the recruiter by email. She said "we'll talk soon to set up a phone interview". It took about two weeks to schedule, then another two weeks to happen. Then another three weeks to do the actual interview. And then another month for me to find out I got the job.

Also, never ever tell a recruiter you're applying to other places. In many jobs they could have a hundred applicants who are fully qualified. So they're not looking for who they want. They're looking for who they don't want. And you telling them you're not dedicated to this job is a very easy way to get your application filed in the recycle bin.

Likes CivilSigma
CivilSigma said:
I think the HR person is really rude and incompetent. They missed the 3rd scheduled call... I don't know what to make of this.
Really frustrating to be honest.

That's horrible. No candidate deserves to be treated like that. Unfortunately, if this is how the company treats you for the interview, it could very well be a flag for future treatment. After the third time you have mutually agreed on a time and this person doesn't show, it might be worth considering dropping your application altogether and seeking other opportunities. That said, I know that in the current economy, that isn't always an option, particularly for students trying to get a foot in the door.

Some thoughts:
  • Always be professional.
  • You might want to consider requesting an in-person interview. "Unfortunately we've had trouble connecting for a phone interview. A face-to-face meeting may work better. I'm happy to come in at your earliest convenience."
  • I like the idea above of sending a reminder. "Looking forward to speaking with you at 2:00."
  • You could inquire if these issues are technical in nature. This person could be struggling with Skype (perhaps not realizing it doesn't work within his or her firewall for example). In such cases a phone call might work better.

Likes CivilSigma
symbolipoint said:
Anyone who wants to be included.

Nobody wants to miss or lose an appointment. What I suggest might be doing too much, and that after a couple of attempts to make contact to check on possible new interview appoint, the candidate could just move on to other prospects.
Choppy said:
That's horrible. No candidate deserves to be treated like that. Unfortunately, if this is how the company treats you for the interview, it could very well be a flag for future treatment. After the third time you have mutually agreed on a time and this person doesn't show, it might be worth considering dropping your application altogether and seeking other opportunities. That said, I know that in the current economy, that isn't always an option, particularly for students trying to get a foot in the door.

Some thoughts:
  • Always be professional.
  • You might want to consider requesting an in-person interview. "Unfortunately we've had trouble connecting for a phone interview. A face-to-face meeting may work better. I'm happy to come in at your earliest convenience."
  • I like the idea above of sending a reminder. "Looking forward to speaking with you at 2:00."
  • You could inquire if these issues are technical in nature. This person could be struggling with Skype (perhaps not realizing it doesn't work within his or her firewall for example). In such cases a phone call might work better.

The recruiter is actually from the USA and they're helping the company hire people in Canada, so I can't really meet in person. Yes I am always professional in my communications and I have followed up the HR person politely by email. Let's see what they will respond back.

This is a good learning experience and a unique "wake up" to the reality of working, hehehe.

What is a phone interviewer?

A phone interviewer is a person who conducts interviews over the phone, typically for market research or job interviews.

Why is my phone interviewer not calling?

There could be a variety of reasons why a phone interviewer is not calling you. It is possible that there was a scheduling issue or a technical problem. It is also possible that the interviewer has encountered unexpected circumstances and is unable to make the call.

What should I do if my phone interviewer does not call?

If your phone interviewer does not call at the scheduled time, it is best to follow up with a polite email or phone call to inquire about the situation. If you do not hear back, it is best to move on and focus on other opportunities.

How long should I wait for my phone interviewer to call?

It is standard etiquette for a phone interviewer to call at the scheduled time, or at least within a few minutes of the scheduled time. If you do not receive a call within 10-15 minutes of the scheduled time, it is best to follow up with the interviewer.

Is it common for phone interviewers to not call?

It is not common for phone interviewers to not call, as it is their responsibility to conduct the interview as scheduled. However, technical issues or unexpected circumstances can sometimes arise, so it is important to be understanding and follow up if necessary.