My Reaction to Mentor Bios/Interviews: WOW!

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's feeling of being out of their league while reading Mentor Bios/Interviews. They compare their feelings to a preschooler in a PhD symposium and apologize for any offense. The speaker then shares their own experience of feeling intimidated by their instructors who have impressive accomplishments. They also mention that Drakkith's Mentor Bio is included in the list. The conversation ends with a humorous remark about feeling like an embryo.
Element13
Okay, so I just read a couple of the Mentor Bios/Interviews and I feel like a preschooler who just happened to crawl into a PhD symposium. To say that I'm completely, way-out of my league here doesn't even begin to come close to an understatement, I actually don't think that such a word even exists; and my sincere apologies to any preschooler I may have offended by my statement.

So, staying in my lane, let me just state:
"(insert expletive here) WOW!"Peace,
Element13

• Haha
Likes berkeman and BillTre
Physics news on Phys.org
Reminds me of walking into my EE101 instructors office. In addition to many, many other things, the guys was part of the development of the JPEG standard. And my Optics 101/102 instructor literally built the Optical Engineering program at the University of Arizona.

Likes collinsmark and Element13
Drakkith said:
Reminds me of walking into my EE101 instructors office. In addition to many, many other things, the guys was part of the development of the JPEG standard. And my Optics 101/102 instructor literally built the Optical Engineering program at the University of Arizona.
Just a quick reminder that your Mentor Bio is in that list too, Drak... :wink:

Likes Element13
Drakkith said:
Drakkith,

Sure, make me feel like an embryo.

Peace,
Element13

Likes Drakkith

1. What is the purpose of writing a reaction to mentor bios/interviews?

The purpose of writing a reaction to mentor bios/interviews is to reflect on your thoughts and feelings about the mentors and their experiences. It allows you to analyze and understand the insights and advice shared by the mentors, and how it relates to your own goals and aspirations.

2. How should I structure my reaction to mentor bios/interviews?

There is no specific structure for writing a reaction to mentor bios/interviews. However, it is recommended to start with a brief introduction about the mentors and their background, followed by a summary of the key points or takeaways from the bios/interviews. You can then share your personal thoughts and reflections, and conclude with a summary of what you have learned.

3. Can I include my own opinions and criticisms in my reaction?

Yes, you can include your own opinions and criticisms in your reaction to mentor bios/interviews. In fact, it is encouraged to share your honest thoughts and reactions, as it shows your engagement and critical thinking skills. However, make sure to express your opinions respectfully and support them with evidence or examples.

4. How can I use the mentor bios/interviews to benefit my own career or research?

The mentor bios/interviews can be a valuable source of knowledge and inspiration for your own career or research. By analyzing the experiences and insights shared by the mentors, you can gain new perspectives and ideas that can help you in your own journey. You can also use the mentors as potential contacts or resources for networking and mentorship opportunities.

5. Is it necessary to write a reaction to mentor bios/interviews?

No, it is not necessary to write a reaction to mentor bios/interviews. However, it can be a beneficial exercise for personal growth and development. It allows you to reflect on your own goals and aspirations, and how the mentors' experiences can guide and inspire you. It also helps you to engage with the material in a deeper and more meaningful way.