My Room: Comfort, Organization & Dreams

• Thread starter rootX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dreams
In summary: I've got some of my spouse's stuff in mine, too. I get rid of stuff periodically, sometimes without telling her. I'm not sure how that goes over, but I'm generally trying to get rid of stuff that we have duplicates of. I'm trying to get rid of some of my books, but it's tough. I like my books.In summary, the speaker describes their bedroom as cluttered with books on various subjects and filled with personal items like notebooks, vitamins, and computer hardware. They use their bedroom for both sleep and comfort and appreciate having a place of solitude. Their dream room would consist of a computer, closet, and some art, with a separate studio for writing and storing books and research
rootX
How would describe your (bed)room? and What would be your dream room?

Few interesting sample questions but do come up with your own:
Do you come to room for sleep only or for comfort?
Would you rather spend time outside e.g. library or in your room?
Is your room clean and organized or you have no clue what is where?
What kind of furniture you have in your room?
What is the color of your walls?
How big are windows?
How long you have been living in your room?
How often you consider moving things around in your room?

Physics news on Phys.org
don't have one. Only my doom room which I can't stand, and my garbagety room mate is a big factor in that.

My bedroom has a bed.
There is a window, but I have a spare mattress propped up against it to keep the light out.
I have a dresser, but I have no idea what's in it. I suspect that there might be some pajamas that my mother bought a few years in a row, apparently not getting it through her head that I sleep naked. There might also be some underwear, which she bought, apparently not getting it through her head that I won't wear it. (That sounds a bit peculiar as written, but keep in mind that it was a long time ago. My wife and I had our own place, but I moved back into my house when we split up, and I now own it since my mother died about a year and a half ago. She was in an extended care facility long before I moved back.)
People think that my house is a 2-story, but it's actually 1.5. All 4 bedrooms are upstairs, but the walls on the north and south extend vertically only about 1.5 metres. They then angle toward the ceiling at about 30 or 40° from vertical. (I could give you exact figures, but I seriously don't feel like measuring it right now.) I reclaimed the same room that I had years ago, even though it's not the largest and doesn't have a closet as do the two south rooms. Mine is the north-west one, and Lucy's is on the north-east. My door is near the corner on the south-east side of the room, and I keep it almost closed so the morning sun can't piss me off. I leave it open just enough for Lucy to enter and exit, because she sometimes wants to sleep with me rather than by herself. I haven't had female company since W buggered off, so that isn't currently an issue. Should I entrap some unsuspecting female, I can just lock the door. Lucy can open one that is merely latched, but she doesn't have access to my picks. :biggrin:
My fantasy, if that is how you choose to categorize it, is to live in a cave. (With proper flowing water for drinking, washing, and toilet—in that order. Spillover from one would lead to the next.) Were it not that I probably have to sell the place in the next couple of months, I would line my room with cellulose fibre (sort of like a textured ceiling) to make it look exactly like a cave. I am as far as one can be removed from being a claustrophobic without being agoraphobic. I love being in tight, confined places. (No jokes about the ex, please.)
About a month ago, I plugged a solar-deactivated night light in beside my bed. That's because Lucy invariable races me into the room after I turn off the hall light, and then lies down on the floor so I'll step on her or trip over her on my way to the bedside pole light. It saves me the hassle of turning on the pole light and then going back out to shut off the hall light. I could, of course, airbrush Lucy with phosphorescent paint, but she's so beautiful in her snow-white fur that I am reluctant to take that approach.

I typed a lengthy reply, but in my night shift haze forgot to save it before submitting.

All was lost...

My bedroom has a bed, two desk, a closet, and a TV. It's full of books TONS of books in Math (ODE, PDE, Linear Algebra, Vector Calculus...), Economics (Microeconomics, Game Theory, Econometrics...), Geographical Information Systems, Programming Languages, Bible, Urban Planning. I also have Old notebooks, vitamins, and computer hardware.

I use my room for sleep and comfort.

I like my room. It is my place of solitude.

My room is clean and organized. I have 1 big window. I've been living here a few years. I'll probably move at the end of this year.

My dream room? Just computer, closet, some art, and a nice bed. I would like to have a studio where I can store all my books, and research papers. A place I can do all my scribbling. I always have handy a pen and paper to write equations, and ideas.

At my old place, I remember before I moved here. I had to throw out tons of old paper sheets filled with equations, and other randomness. I am always writing something, always thinking.

My spouse and I have a king-size bed (after you've been married for a while I guess you'd rather have some sleeping space), and there's a twin mattress pushed right up beside it for our 1 1/2 yr old daughter ("Little E"). Little E's old co-sleeper/bassinet is at the base of her twin bed, and has been converted to hold one basket for laundry and another for her diapering needs (it was originally placed there to keep her for falling out. The king mattress is higher than the twin, so we call the twin-bed area "the nest"... and I sleep most, if not all, of the night in the nest with her (leaving my spouse all that space).

We have two closets... I manage to keep everything for me in mine, but there's also one dresser in our room for spare sheets for the household and my spouses socks and such (since if they aren't enclosed in a high drawer (or high up in a closet, Little E spreads them around). Little E's clothing is in our "playroom"... a half-size room that holds her dresser, a desk for my sewing machine, and her toys. She doesn't sleep there because it is not temperature-controlled (I think it was originally one of two "mud-rooms" for the house). Well, she doesn't sleep in there for that reason and because she likes to sleep with me. I think cosleeping is good for her emotional security (toddlers are prone to night terrors.. and she's only had two). She's very brave and independent during the day.

We really only use the room for dressing, night-sleeping, daytime naps, lounging in after daytime naps, and diaper changes. I used to sit and do grading on the bed, since she couldn't climb up the king-size mattress and her playroom entry is through our room (so she kept busy in there)... but now that she can climb up, that task is out. Little E likes waling across the king bed and flopping herself into the nest... especially if I'm already there to fall onto.

There is one window at the head of the nest, that looks into the woods behind the house. At the beginning of last summer, Little E and I saw a barred owl out the window a few times, but he didn't take up residence in the neighborhood as we had hoped.

It's pretty idyllic, but we won't be here forever. It's a rental, so everything is painted white throughout the house, all the floors were hardwood, and there are nice windows. We were lucky to find a house that suited our needs. Our oldest son uses a wheelchair... his bedroom and ours are downstairs. Our middle child is upstairs with a fourth guest bedroom... I think our landlords kept his bedroom walls blue (they are architecture and design professors; they lived here with their son and daughter before renting to us, and their son was in the same room as our middle son. Maybe the guest room still has yellow walls, I don't know. I never go up there.

S_Happens said:
I typed a lengthy reply, but in my night shift haze forgot to save it before submitting.

All was lost...

S_ really does happen sometimes :frown:

Pyrrhus said:
My bedroom has a bed, two desk, a closet, and a TV. It's full of books TONS of books in Math (ODE, PDE, Linear Algebra, Vector Calculus...), Economics (Microeconomics, Game Theory, Econometrics...), Geographical Information Systems, Programming Languages, Bible, Urban Planning. I also have Old notebooks, vitamins, and computer hardware.

I use my room for sleep and comfort.

I like my room. It is my place of solitude.

My room is clean and organized. I have 1 big window. I've been living here a few years. I'll probably move at the end of this year.

My dream room? Just computer, closet, some art, and a nice bed. I would like to have a studio where I can store all my books, and research papers. A place I can do all my scribbling. I always have handy a pen and paper to write equations, and ideas.

At my old place, I remember before I moved here. I had to throw out tons of old paper sheets filled with equations, and other randomness. I am always writing something, always thinking.

Your room is amazing!

I only come to my room when I nowhere to go or I am too tired that I need a place to sleep.

I move a lot and never have any place for more than few months.

Starting from last year, I spent my four months on a air mattress. The landlords were renting their empty room for the first time when they got themselves into some financial troubles. The room was good and big but just didn't have any bed. There was table and a chair in addition to air mattress. It also had a big window. I was spending long hours at work only coming home when I feel tired.

After that, I found myself in another room near my university. I just wanted one mattress and that's all. But, my parents forced a queen sized bed and a table into it. I rarely been in my room before 12 AM night and out at about 8-9 as soon I wake up.

Now, I have a good room with TV (that I never use), queen size bed and all other furniture. But, I live in a big crazy new city and I don't feel like staying out after 9 PM. So, I am spending far more time in my room than ever before. Fortunately, I can work from home so I don't have to be out at work late if I really feel like working late!

I want to have a room that is peaceful, soothing, and calming only big enough to fit a proper study desk and a bed. I would also love a big window looking out at a beach/lake. I also want to have place for my https://www.physicsforums.com/customprofilepics/profilepic74699_2.gif" that I am going to get as soon I have a stable life!

Last edited by a moderator:
rootX said:
How would describe your (bed)room?
Few interesting sample questions but do come up with your own:
Do you come to room for sleep only or for comfort?
Well , I'm in a dorm room so I'm either in three places: my room, class, or my lab.
rootX said:
Would you rather spend time outside e.g. library or in your room?
I like working in the lab when people are there, and going on walks around campus, but otherwise, not really.
rootX said:
Is your room clean and organized or you have no clue what is where?
I'm pretty disorganized. I have way too many books (all on physics, mathematics, or programming), and my desk is taken up by dual monitors.
rootX said:
What kind of furniture you have in your room?
Bed, two tables, and a desk, which are likely the cheapest my university could find.
rootX said:
What is the color of your walls?
White; they probably haven't been painted since the dorm was built in the 60s.
rootX said:
How big are windows?
One window of an interior courtyard that is entirely too small.
rootX said:
How long you have been living in your room?
For this school year.
rootX said:
How often you consider moving things around in your room?
Never. Too much of a hassle.
rootX said:
What would be your dream room?
I'd like a minimalist room with open spaces, a bed, desk, some computer stuff, and walls painted with that whiteboard paint so I could put all sorts of math and physics on the wall.

1. How can I make my room more comfortable?

There are several ways to make your room more comfortable. First, consider the lighting. Soft, warm lighting can create a cozy atmosphere. Next, add comfortable furniture such as a plush rug or cozy reading chair. You can also include personal touches like your favorite scented candles or blankets. Finally, make sure the temperature is set to your liking and the room is well-ventilated.

2. What are some tips for organizing my room?

To organize your room effectively, start by decluttering. Get rid of any items you no longer need or use. Next, try to find a place for everything and keep items in designated areas. Utilize storage solutions like bins, shelves, and drawers. It can also be helpful to create a daily cleaning routine to keep your room tidy.

3. Is it important to have a dream or vision board in my room?

Having a dream or vision board in your room can be a great way to stay motivated and focused on your goals. It can serve as a visual reminder of what you want to achieve and inspire you to take action towards your dreams. However, it is not necessary for everyone, so do what works best for you.

4. Can the layout of my room affect my mood and productivity?

Yes, the layout of your room can have a significant impact on your mood and productivity. A cluttered and disorganized room can lead to feelings of stress and anxiety, making it challenging to focus and be productive. On the other hand, a well-organized and aesthetically pleasing room can promote a sense of calm and help you feel more motivated and productive.

5. How can I incorporate my personal style and interests into my room?

You can incorporate your personal style and interests into your room in various ways. You can choose a color scheme or theme that reflects your personality and interests, add decorations and artwork that you love, and display items that hold sentimental value to you. You can also make DIY projects to personalize your room further.