My stupid question about particle-wave duality

In summary, the conversation is discussing the concept of decoherence in quantum physics and whether it is a gradual process or instantaneous. The speaker also proposes a comparison to solar magnetic field lines. The conversation is ultimately deemed inappropriate for personal speculations and the thread is closed.
danihel
Again, my knowledge of quantum physics is so poor, I have no reference to give me any idea about the measure of stupidity of this question, so please bear with me.:

Could it be that the nature of a ‘particle’ doesn’t change? That when decoherence occurs the wave function collapses into a new very localized source of wave propagation?
That every particle pretty much is and always propagates as a wave and decoherence only selects a new point of a source of a wave? Is this a valid way of thinking about it?

Perhaps decoherence is a phenomenon somewhat similar to when solar magnetic field lines get too convoluted and snap and reset into a simpler form? Another question I have is: Does decoherence occur gradually somehow or is it literally instantaneous?

Physics news on Phys.org
In the famous words of Pauli, this is "not even wrong."

PhysicsForums is not the place for personal speculations. If you want to learn actual quantum mechanics, there are plenty of people here who will gladly help you.

Thread closed.

What is particle-wave duality?

Particle-wave duality is the concept in quantum mechanics that states that particles, such as electrons, can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behaviors depending on how they are observed.

How does particle-wave duality affect the behavior of particles?

Particle-wave duality can affect the behavior of particles in various ways. For example, in the famous double-slit experiment, particles exhibit interference patterns when observed as waves, but behave as discrete particles when observed as particles.

What evidence supports the concept of particle-wave duality?

There is a lot of evidence that supports the concept of particle-wave duality. One of the most famous is the aforementioned double-slit experiment, but there are also many other experiments in quantum mechanics that demonstrate the duality of particles.

How does particle-wave duality relate to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle, which states that certain properties of particles cannot be precisely known at the same time, is closely related to particle-wave duality. This is because when a particle is observed as a wave, its position and momentum cannot be determined precisely, and vice versa.

Can particle-wave duality be explained by classical physics?

No, particle-wave duality cannot be fully explained by classical physics. Classical physics operates on the principle of determinism, where the behavior of particles is predictable. However, particle-wave duality shows that at the quantum level, the behavior of particles is inherently uncertain and cannot be fully explained by classical physics.