My thread was locked for no good reason

• Complaint
  • Thread starter Warp
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a user's frustration with having their thread blocked without a clear explanation, despite it being a genuine question unrelated to any previous threads. The user also expresses confusion about what types of questions are allowed in the forum and how they should be presented. The moderators explain that questions that could be perceived as homework are not allowed and all schoolwork-like questions should be posted in the homework forums with work shown. The user continues to express frustration and questions the consistency of the forum's rules and moderation.
Warp
I asked a completely legitimate question here: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/another-consequence-of-cantors-diagonal-argument.992377/
and the thread was immediately blocked because of another thread, even though this thread had absolutely nothing to do with it.

I must strongly object. I don't think the moderator who locked the thread even read my question. There was absolutely nothing objectionable about the question I posted, it's a genuine question, and it's in no way related to that other thread.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see a substantial difference. I see someone beating a dead horse. I also don't see someone struggling to understand; I see someone trying to convince us that they are correct and that standard mathematics is wrong.

What do you mean there's no substantial difference? I'm asking a completely different question. I'm not saying anything against the diagonalization argument. My question is completely unrelated to the other thread. Did you even read it? It's a completely genuine question. What exactly is wrong with it? Can you please explain to me what is wrong with my question that I posted?

Does this mean that from this time forward I cannot ask any questions about the Cantor's diagonal argument, no matter what they may be?

I'm not sure why the thread was blocked, but yes you're right (after dealing with the case of multiple decimal representations). There is no such enumeration of ##\mathbb{Q}##.

I would humbly ask the thread to be unblocked because it was a genuine question about something I genuinely discovered on my own.

Likes timmeister37
Warp said:
I would humbly ask the thread to be unblocked
The usual procedure would be to click "Report" on the closure reply, and try to make your case to the Mentors. All Mentors review the post reports. Keep in mind that your post was initially reported by another (non-Mentor) user, though.

Warp said:
something I genuinely discovered on my own.
That might be problematic. You know that we don't discuss personal theories here, so it may be that you'll have to publish your work before it can be discussed. I'm not a mathematician so I can't weigh in on that.

berkeman said:
That might be problematic. You know that we don't discuss personal theories here, so it may be that you'll have to publish your work before it can be discussed. I'm not a mathematician so I can't weigh in on that.
I don't get it. What exactly is allowed to ask in this forum, if not math (or physics) questions you have stumbled across?

Questions that sound even vaguely like they could be "homework" are not allowed. Questions about things you have stumbled across while studying some mathematical statement are not allowed. And, apparently, I have a personal restriction bestowed upon myself that I am not allowed to ask any questions about one particular mathematical proof (Cantor's diagonal argument in this case), even though nobody seems to be able to explain why.

What exactly is allowed?

Likes Fervent Freyja
Warp said:
Questions that sound even vaguely like they could be "homework" are not allowed.

Sure they are. Have you read the rules?

Borek said:
Sure they are. Have you read the rules?
Then why have I had more than once posts of mine removed for being "homework questions", even though they were not, and I even got official warnings about them? And even after explaining in detail why they were not homework questions but were in fact about some interesting math, the decisions were not reverted, the posts remained removed, and the warnings stood.

Quite clearly questions are not allowed if, in the subjective opinion of some moderator, they even slightly might resemble a "homework question".

Warp said:
Quite clearly questions are not allowed if, in the subjective opinion of some moderator, they even slightly might resemble a "homework question".

We have no way of telling if a question is genuine or if if some lazy student tries to ask their question pretending they are not HW, so they are all treated the same. Still, it is perfectly OK to ask them AS if they were HW questions, posting them in HW forum and showing your work. That's part of the rules you agreed to when registering.

Likes rbelli1
Warp said:
Questions that sound even vaguely like they could be "homework" are not allowed. Questions about things you have stumbled across while studying some mathematical statement are not allowed.
Borek said:
We have no way of telling if a question is genuine or if if some lazy student tries to ask their question pretending they are not HW, so they are all treated the same. Still, it is perfectly OK to ask them AS if they were HW questions, posting them in HW forum and showing your work. That's part of the rules you agreed to when registering.
@Warp -- This thread will help you understand the PF rules about schoolwork-type questions. Even if they are for self-study, all schoolwork-like questions go in the Homework forums:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/homework-coursework-questions.373889/

You will get fine responses there as long as you show your work on the problem you want to ask about.

Warp said:
We have many members who are self-studying (one of the good things about the internet) so the homework or not call is not based on whether the question is formally assigned coursework. It’s based on whether the question is most effectively treated as an exercise and if it is we move to the appropriate homework forum or ask that it be reposted there.

And yes, of course this call is subjective. How could it be otherwise?
Some cases are clear, in the sense that there is near-unanimity among the mentors. Many others are less clear, even could reasonably be handled either way. Generally we leave these alone unless someone complains.

And yes, sometimes we get it wrong. When you think that one of us has made the wrong call, you can appeal the ruling by reporting whatever notification you received - that puts it in front of all of us for further consideration.

Likes russ_watters
The issue has been resolved. Thank you for your patience.

Likes StoneTemplePython, weirdoguy and berkeman

1. Why was my thread locked?

There could be several reasons why your thread was locked. It could be due to a violation of the forum's rules or guidelines, inappropriate content, or a duplicate thread already exists. It's best to contact the forum moderators for a specific reason.

2. Can my thread be unlocked?

Yes, your thread can be unlocked if it was locked for a valid reason. You can reach out to the forum moderators and explain the situation. They will review your thread and determine if it can be unlocked.

3. How long will my thread be locked for?

The duration of the thread lock depends on the reason for the lock and the forum's policies. It could be a temporary lock or a permanent one. Again, it's best to contact the forum moderators for more information.

4. Can I appeal the lock on my thread?

Yes, you can appeal the lock on your thread by reaching out to the forum moderators. However, it's important to keep in mind that they have the final say on whether the lock will be lifted or not.

5. Will I be notified if my thread is locked?

It depends on the forum's policies. Some forums may send a notification when a thread is locked, while others may not. It's best to check the forum's rules or reach out to the moderators for more information.