My Threads Moved: Seeking Clarification from Site Mentors

• Thread starter walking
  • Start date
In summary, the threads that were moved to the homework section were not homework. The person posting the threads is an adult who is well beyond university age and has been studying physics for fun. The mentors who moved the threads were making assumptions that the poster was a student posting homework for help. This is not the case.
walking
Dear site Mentors

I made some threads recently in this section which got moved to the homework section.

They are not homework. I am an adult well past university age who has been studying physics for fun so I can understand modern research. I am far from reaching that point yet but I feel that the mentors who moved my threads are making assumptions that I am a student posting homework for help. This is not the case.

Edit: Just to clarify, this is how I end up with my questions. I read a chapter of Physics by Halliday et al (4th edition), taking notes and solving all the problems. I note my questions as I go along. Once I have completed the problems section for a chapter, I then post all my questions for that chapter.

If it still counts as homework either way then I apologize and agree with the mentors who moved my threads.

Kind regards

Physics news on Phys.org
All homework and homework-like questions should go into the homework section. The rules say this applies “whether the problem is part of one's assigned coursework or just independent study“. We follow the same process either way.

Likes walking
walking said:
If it still counts as homework either way then I apologize and agree with the mentors who moved my threads.

Kind regards
Generally, you get better responses if you post problems in homework. There are some very active homework helpers who rarely look at threads elsewhere.

I occasionally post homework as well. E.g. here's one of mine:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/qft-commutator-for-spacelike-separation.983741/

Likes walking
walking said:
Once I have completed the problems section for a chapter, I then post all my questions for that chapter.
BTW, please try to not hit the schoolwork forums with a bunch of questions all at once. That has a bit of a spammy feel to it. Luckily you show good effort in your posts, but still it is a bit hard to see lots of threads from one person popping up all at once. Thanks.

Last edited:
Likes walking

1. Why were my threads moved to a different section?

Threads may be moved to a different section if they are not relevant to the original section or if there is a more appropriate section for the topic. This helps keep the forum organized and makes it easier for other users to find information.

2. Can I request for my threads to be moved back?

Yes, you can request for your threads to be moved back to the original section if you believe it was moved in error or if the topic is more relevant to the original section. You can contact the site mentors for assistance with this request.

3. How long does it take for threads to be moved?

The time it takes for threads to be moved may vary depending on the availability of the site mentors. However, they typically try to respond to requests and move threads within 24 hours.

4. Will my thread lose its views and comments if it is moved?

No, your thread's views and comments will not be affected by being moved to a different section. The thread will still retain all of its original content and engagement.

5. Can I receive an explanation for why my thread was moved?

Yes, you can request for an explanation from the site mentors for why your thread was moved. They will be happy to provide a reason and help clarify any confusion you may have.