Mysteries of the Lightning Rod Underground

In summary, the underground lightning rod has been hit by more and more lightnings over the past 200 years, but does not contain any energy source. The reason for the lack of plants and insects near the rod is due to the highly conductive materials used, such as iron or copper, which can be toxic to living organisms. When approached during a storm, the rod may cause hair to stand up due to static electricity, but this is harmless. Benjamin Franklin's experiments with lightning conductors have greatly influenced modern designs.
sevitha heshan
I want to know when the lightning rod in the under ground about 200 years, what happens it..? specially want to mention it has been hit by more and more lightnings... so is it contained some energy source...? and there are no any plants that grown up... and even there are no any insects close in lightning rod... so... why is it happened..? advance in thank.

Science news on Phys.org
so lighting is very strong so it can hit anything:oops:

Likes sevitha heshan
it's k... no problem... but I mean... it has been happening for 200 years. so... can it ( lightning rod in the under ground) be contained some energy source...? that is the thing I want to know... !

Any highly conductive material, ordinary metals like iron can serve as a lightning conductor.
If lightning hits the above ground part, the electrical energy of the lightning is conducted through it 'to Earth'
The energy (in the form of electron flow) is only briefly present within the rod, it then very rapidly dissipates into the ground.

Likes sevitha heshan
sevitha heshan said:
I want to know when the lightning rod in the under ground about 200 years, what happens it..? specially want to mention it has been hit by more and more lightnings... so is it contained some energy source...? and there are no any plants that grown up... and even there are no any insects close in lightning rod... so... why is it happened..? advance in thank.
If it is copper, that is toxic to life.

Likes sevitha heshan
tech99 said:
If it is copper, that is toxic to life.
Thank you...

rootone said:
Any highly conductive material, ordinary metals like iron can serve as a lightning conductor.
If lightning hits the above ground part, the electrical energy of the lightning is conducted through it 'to Earth'
The energy (in the form of electron flow) is only briefly present within the rod, it then very rapidly dissipates into the ground.
Thank you for giving this answer. I just want to know one thing, when I go it ( l-rod) closely my hair stands up... why is it happened?

sevitha heshan said:
Thank you for giving this answer. I just want to know one thing, when I go it ( l-rod) closely my hair stands up... why is it happened?

.presumably you mean during a storm ?
if so, not a wise thing to do

there should be no electrostatic charge on the rod at any other time that would cause your observation

Likes sevitha heshan
davenn said:
.presumably you mean during a storm ?
if so, not a wise thing to do

there should be no electrostatic charge on the rod at any other time that would cause your observation
Thank you... May be you are correct. But the man whom I know has a l-rod which has electrostatic charge.. so.. Can you believe it? what is that? why is it happened? Is there a any worth of it? In my first question I mentioned it is old more 200 years...

sevitha heshan said:

It's entirely possible that you are the one with the charge. Do you wear wool clothing and rubber soled shoes? You could be picking up charge just from walking around. When you approach the rod the charges on your body will try to escape you and go to ground. The l-rod is innocent. This is all perfectly harmless.

sevitha heshan said:
Is there a any worth of it?

Static electricity does not involve much energy. There's nothing worth harnessing if that's what you are asking.

Likes sevitha heshan
For those who, like me, are fascinated by lightning, there is a very readable account of Benjamin Franklin's experiments with lightning conductors at the URL given below, including some interesting photographs. His designs are close to today's standards.
http://www.meteohistory.org/2004proceedings1.1/pdfs/01krider.pdf

Likes sevitha heshan
Aaron Crowl said:
It's entirely possible that you are the one with the charge. Do you wear wool clothing and rubber soled shoes? You could be picking up charge just from walking around. When you approach the rod the charges on your body will try to escape you and go to ground. The l-rod is innocent. This is all perfectly harmless.
Static electricity does not involve much energy. There's nothing worth harnessing if that's what you are asking.
Great... thank you explaining for me...

tech99 said:
For those who, like me, are fascinated by lightning, there is a very readable account of Benjamin Franklin's experiments with lightning conductors at the URL given below, including some interesting photographs. His designs are close to today's standards.
http://www.meteohistory.org/2004proceedings1.1/pdfs/01krider.pdf
Thank you supporting me...

1. What is the purpose of the lightning rod underground?

The purpose of the lightning rod underground is to protect buildings and other structures from lightning strikes by providing a safe path for the electrical current to travel into the ground.

2. How does the lightning rod underground work?

The lightning rod underground works by using a conductive material, such as copper or aluminum, to attract the lightning strike. The electrical current then travels down the rod and into the ground, where it is safely dispersed.

3. How deep should a lightning rod underground be installed?

The depth at which a lightning rod underground should be installed depends on the type of soil and the building's foundation. In general, it is recommended to install the rod at least 10 feet deep in order to reach moist, conductive soil.

4. Are there any risks associated with installing a lightning rod underground?

There are minimal risks associated with installing a lightning rod underground as long as it is installed correctly and maintained regularly. However, it is important to follow proper safety precautions and consult with a professional before installation.

5. Can a lightning rod underground prevent all lightning strikes?

No, a lightning rod underground cannot prevent all lightning strikes. It is designed to provide a safe path for the electrical current, but it cannot control the direction or frequency of lightning strikes. It is still important to follow proper lightning safety procedures, even with a lightning rod installed.